Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armored Warfare general chat

Options
  • 25-09-2015 9:23am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭

We have a few AW threads, but not a general one, so I'll start one.

So the public stress test just started and anyone can play. Those who play at least one match get the object 155 tier 3 premium tank.

http://aw.my.com/us/news/general/stress-test-reward-object-155

So I put in a bunch of matches last night, and have some rambling impressions so far.

In general it's unmistakably a WoT clone, but it was always meant to be. That's what My.com wanted when they contracted Obsidian to make it, so there's no attempt at a fundamentally different approach unlike WT for example.

Tank upgrades have a larger number of small upgrades, which include ammo. Some of the upgrades are very small items like a commanders viewport or shock absorbers, as well as the obvious stuff like engines and guns. There is also the option to unlock user slogans from specific tanks, e.g. Waterproof from the ambhibious PT-76 which I like.

The overall tech tree system seems illogical to me. I get that they're reflecting the private military/mercenary setting with the salesman system. But it doesn't provide much in the way of consistent theming, and it doesn't reflect the evolution of designs and technology that the national trees in WoT do. Why would the Russian salesman be selling M41 Walker Bulldogs next to T54s?

The maps are larger, but the tanks move faster given their more modern designs, so the scale isn't really much different from WoT. Many also have some fairly artificial bottlenecks in the same way as WoT, so not much change overall here.

It does cause a little cognitive dissonance seeing capable tanks such as a T54 or T62 being regarded as low tier tanks in this though. But in turn that makes the tier 1 choices a little odd. The jump from tier 1 PT-76 to tier 2 T-54 is massive in capability terms.

The controls are pretty much a straight copy from WoT, including C to reload ammo, right mouse to lock view etc.

In graphics terms I expected more from the CryEngine. The tanks models not as good as the WoT HD ones or the WT ones. The environments are better than WoT, but not as good as WT. Some of that may be fairly subjective though.

The sounds seems a bit weak too, but equally as weak as WoTs ultimately. Both need an overhaul.

Currently it seems an alternative and complementary option to play alongside WoT. But it doesn't seem to yet offer anything it does markedly different or better, and certainly nothing to warrant abandoning the time I've invested in WoT.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

just a few points, the sounds in wot are utter thrash, i have been using engine and gun sound mods for eyars, i cant play with vanilla sounds! i know they are reworking them, but 5 years later isnt good enough.

im guessing the tank models will be way more detailed when the game goes live, its unfair to compare wot 5 year old hd tanks with tanks in a pre beta stress test! but i do agree, the wot models currently are superior.

i love how every tank comes with 6th sense and an arty warning automatically.
    crews can be switched between vehicles for free.
    no pay to win gold ammo, thats MAJOR for me, i very very rarely fire cheat ammo outside of clan wars.

they basically, for me, took every thing i hated from wot and removed it to create imo, a better game. way more fun in an xvm free environment, no trolls in battle chat etc..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The main problem I have with AW is to figure out how to make cash; I've got multiple premium tanks but even doing PvE (which I understood to be the way to grind dollars) I still feel I'm making a pittance even in a premium tank on medium (which is relatively easy to beat but can lose a tank in randoms easily enough).

Beyond that I agree with unclear progression of what's what and the roles they are suppose to play in the game in general. In WoT it's a pretty clear cut Heavy/Medium/Light/TD/Arty split but I'm not getting the same feeling from the AW tree.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm barely up to tier 4, but cash doesn't seem to be remotely close to an issue yet, unless it ramps significantly later.

They do have a nice option to turn spare XP into cash once or twice on a tank, briefly making any tank more profitable, which is a nice little addition.

in EA i played to t5 and had a good few tanks bought with no problem, i think there might have been a cash multiplier bonus though for ea?

i love how you can unlock the next tank without unlocking all your current tanks modules, bye bye horribly ****ty grinds!!

dying to get home now and play all night.. didnt get to play last night.

spear, if you buy the founder pack, do you get your premiums now or open beta or go live?

Nody wrote: »
    Beyond that I agree with unclear progression of what's what and the roles they are suppose to play in the game in general. In WoT it's a pretty clear cut Heavy/Medium/Light/TD/Arty split but I'm not getting the same feeling from the AW tree.

you sure your talking about aw and not wtgf?!

the trees are clearly broken up into different branches for different types?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

copeyhagen wrote: »

spear, if you buy the founder pack, do you get your premiums now or open beta or go live?

No, no premiums until OBT. Though they are in the tree, but I didn't try buy one yet. Little too early and still learning the ropes to try that. I don't want to be the stereotypical noob buying into the high tiers from day 1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

copeyhagen wrote: »
    you sure your talking about aw and not wtgf?!

the trees are clearly broken up into different branches for different types?
    But the game play (from my experience) is not very distinct so far (not had a chance to try arty).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Hmmm ... disconnected in the middle of my third game, now sitting at "Authenticating"

OBT starts Oct 1st for those with founders packs. No more wipes from now on and progress is permanent.

deffo gonna pick up ONE of the founders packs this evening..

actually been having some fun again in wot playing mostly light tanks and no grinding.. no premium either, first time in years. not gonna give them wg scammers another cent if i can help it

• Advertisement

The founders pack choices are poorly scaled I think. The minimum one is really barebones, and has no premium. Surely a small tier 2 or 3 would do?

The middle has one premium, and one that isn't too enticing.

But the third pack has 4 premiums, two at tier 6, €30 of gold, and then three months premium. It seems to provide excellent value, almost like they have no real interest in selling the lower two at all.

Spear wrote: »
    The founders pack choices are poorly scaled I think. The minimum one is really barebones, and has no premium. Surely a small tier 2 or 3 would do?

The middle has one premium, and one that isn't too enticing.

But the third pack has 4 premiums, two at tier 6, €30 of gold, and then three months premium. It seems to provide excellent value, almost like they have no real interest in selling the lower two at all.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I felt that the top one, while appearing to be good value for money with all the stuff, was too rich for my blood. The other two were quite poor value for money and were put in there just so they could say they had a founder pack to suit all budgets.

I'll play for a bit and get a better feel before giving them any of my shekels.

It's open beta for all day now. Anyone can login to play, no need to pay for anything before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Played it briefly. It's a vaguely prettier version of WoT just with different tanks at weird tiers. Am I missing something?

Played it briefly. It's a vaguely prettier version of WoT just with different tanks at weird tiers. Am I missing something?
    PvE; better variety of bullet types and selection to use (i.e. no gold ammo) but in many ways it's suppose to be a modern WoT clone with very different way to play arty etc. :)

Modern tanks, so there are guided missles (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvd8JHDi1_s), reactive armour (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDpiss_I-z0 ) active protection systems etc ....the maps are a lot nicer looking and are larger i think. Never played arty in it, but I believe they cannot one shot you or even seriously damage you

Everyone has 6th sense and you get warned before arty or rockets come your way.

PVE is good, 5 man team and have to complete a mission against NPC's .... yes the NPC's are often stupid but they are usually higher level than you can can hurt if you get flanked. Mainly I PVE so I can research all the tanks mods and then go on to PVP in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

BigEejit wrote: »
    Mainly I PVE so I can research all the tanks mods and then go on to PVP in it.

Yeah I do similar. It seems PVE gives better xp and PVP gives better cash.

So when I'm stuck for cash I tend to do PVP in my premium tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Is there a way to try a tank before buying it? They don't seen to have a 'free rotation' ala some MOBA games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Fnz wrote: »
    Is there a way to try a tank before buying it? They don't seen to have a 'free rotation' ala some MOBA games.

Doesn't work like that for these tank games. You grind up through them.

Doesn't work like that for these tank games. You grind up through them.

That's a shame. Grind until you randomly happen upon something you enjoy is a big ask if you find the first few tanks underwhelming.

• Advertisement

bought the founders pack, updated the client, cant play, crashes to desktop every time. updated drivers, everything, re installed about 10 times, have tried everything their ticket system has suggested, havent been able to play since early access. lot of people omn their bug forum with same problem, no fooking fix..

freaked i paid for the founders pack now!!!

luckily been playing star wars til lthey fix it for me.

There's a free tank being given out, the T62 Veterans edition, with unique cammo. Login between the 11 and 22 of November to get it free.

Next free tank:

looks like it's the Type 59 for Christmas.

It'd only be a tier 2 in AW though.

Link redirects to a non-AW site, for me at least. :confused:

Link redirects to a non-AW site, for me at least. :confused:

Link works for me, and it doesn't require you to be logged in either. Where does it send you?

Link works for me, and it doesn't require you to be logged in either. Where does it send you?

When I right-click>"copy link address" it's:

http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=61111X1383796&site=boards.ie&xs=1&isjs=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Faw.my.com%2Fgb%2Fnews%2Fgeneral%2Ffree-type-59-everyone&xguid=d68e73ecdecf9841a0a56897b96458f0&xuuid=4b692f68e36f20bcb75a6dada0c79dae&xsessid=9e1a1ab61a086401213fddbe97a1d995&xcreo=0&xed=0&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2057499084%26page%3D2&pref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fsubscription.php%3Fdo%3Dviewsubscription&xtz=0&abp=1
    (the full url gets truncated by boards, it seems)

The redirect ultimately leads to www.tradetracker.com/gb

N.B. Copying the text of your link takes me to the correct place. It's strange that, (EDIT: only in Chome) hovering over your link, the link destination (shown bottom left of browser window) matches the text of your link. Actually clicking takes me to that tradetracker site.

Just completed a malware scan a few days ago, will run another now though. [Edit] Malwarebytes scan finds nothing amiss.

Ah, that's Skimlinks interfering. I'd suggest you report that one in Feedback.

Ah, that's Skimlinks interfering. I'd suggest you report that one in Feedback.

Ok... now to find out what skimlinks is. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

Been playing this lately again, its improved so much. Id like to set up an Irish Battalion if anyone is interested.

Advertisement