Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constantly Issues in Apartment

Options
  • 13-06-2019 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been renting an apartment from IRES in South Dublin for the past 5 years. Overall it's been fine but there is constantly problems with the boiler not working (days without hot water) and the washing machine/dishwasher going on the blink. I email them, they come and fix it and it stops working again the following week.

Very frustrating. Has been 5/6 days this month without hot water.

Is there anything I can really do here or do I just need to suck it up considering the current rental situation in Dublin?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Have you asked them to replace the boiler? I can understand why you might not want to ask a small landlord to replace it, but IRES can afford to replace it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

They will fix things a million times before replacing them. You need to be firm with them that there is a clear problem that needs more than a temporary fix - log a call each time you have a problem, follow up by email and keep telling them you need a replacement unit. They will do it eventually. Also try to be home when whoever is allocated the job comes by and be super nice to them, let them know how many times you have already had it fixed (because unless its the same person each time, they dont know someone else has been out to it previously) and ask them how they suggest you get a new boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’d hazard a guess and say that the problem is with the water pressure rather than three different appliances which rely on water

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭JoeCole26

ted1 wrote: »
    I’d hazard a guess and say that the problem is with the water pressure rather than three different appliances which rely on water

I think this could be the problem alright but it's just constantly breaking down, literally every 4-5 weeks. I have a history of all the emails so going to put the list together and send them a strongly worded email as suggested.

Thanks for all the replies,much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭JoeCole26

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    I think this could be the problem alright but it's just constantly breaking down, literally every 4-5 weeks. I have a history of all the emails so going to put the list together and send them a strongly worded email as suggested.

Thanks for all the replies,much appreciated.

Hi all,

Just following up on this, so the boiler has stopped working again, which means no heat or hot water in the apartment since last Weds and they (IRES Reit) have been fobbing me off, saying that someone has called and its fixed when that is not true at all. They are saying now that it will be Jan 2nd before it's fixed as company they deal with is off until then.

What is my course of action here? An absolute joke by them especially this time of year. I'm seriously considering withholding the rent for this month until it is fixed and even then sending them €500 less due to the massive inconvenience for me.

Thoughts welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just following up on this, so the boiler has stopped working again, which means no heat or hot water in the apartment since last Weds and they (IRES Reit) have been fobbing me off, saying that someone has called and its fixed when that is not true at all. They are saying now that it will be Jan 2nd before it's fixed as company they deal with is off until then.

What is my course of action here? An absolute joke by them especially this time of year. I'm seriously considering withholding the rent for this month until it is fixed and even then sending them €500 less due to the massive inconvenience for me.

Thoughts welcome

Unfortunately you can't do that.

They have tried to remedy and I totally understand the frustration but they are getting people out.

It needs a permanent fix though so keep at them.

If you feel they're just dragging their heels then complaints to RTB is what's needed.

You're one of the lucky ones some would be waiting weeks or months for a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

This is what the government wants more big landlords and to push out the small time landlords you know the ones who are actually paying tax into this country. The public have voted for this ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Get it fixed, keep the receipt and open a case with the RTB for reimbursement. Withholding the rent only puts your tenancy at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cosybeach

Large pro LLs are the chosen ones to save us from our very bad famine style LLs who we are glad to see leaving the market.

Are others in the building having the same response time/repeat problems.

//onestopshop.rtb.ie/images/uploads/general/Being_a_Good_Landlord.pdf

Advertisement