Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zero grazing

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

That's some field but i can just imagine that outfit on those tyres in a wet hilly field around here.
    It would be a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I can understand both sides of the argument about zero grazing .I know a lad highly stocked who has done it for years with his own gear finally given it up and said at the end of the day figures dont stand up and he has buffered maize ,beet .He reckons top quality silage and a bit of meal for the amount of cows a place can carry comfortable is hard to beat .I suppose when you are young an extra hour zero grazing for self only shows a bit of extra enthusiam .Another fella I know spent 10 years at it and he sold his machine after this time for 75% of the cost .So it definitely would not pay to give a lad E75 to bring a load no matter what spin Bass reeves puts on the story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Interesting rig. If you bale fresh grass, you'll have to break them out straight away as they'll start to heat.
    Where a rig like it has a place is, so many farmers often themselves mow a strong paddock with an 8/10 ft mower. The contractor then has to either drive around the field to bale 10/12 bales or else bring a rake to swarth the 4 acres, then go back with the baler to do 12 bales. A rake in front would be a great option but cannot see it being allowed in that format on a public road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Markcheese wrote: »
    Anyone using a baler to zero graze ? https://youtu.be/i6mWOA0u9hI

You'd need to mow first obviously , but the same kit would do during summer for baling , the bale trolly on the back would allow you carry 4 bales off the field at once , wether you carry them home on the rig ,or put them on a bale trailer ..
    Couldn't think of anything worse to be at tbh, you'd be tied to the farm every day of the year
    I had thoughts of buying a zero grazer before and up sr around to MP to 5 but again extra concrete, sheds, cost of extra cows, time and needing at least a part time labour unit those 40 cows wouldn't be half as profitable as the current herd, thats marginal milk to me
    Running around all year for what?

Now it's probably more profitable than anything else you could do with that ground apart from leasing it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

You'd need to mow first obviously , but the same kit would do during summer for baling , the bale trolly on the back would allow you carry 4 bales off the field at once , wether you carry them home on the rig ,or put them on a bale trailer ..

I’ve never fed zero grazed grass but I did feed fresh bales they didn’t seem to like them very much. I’m not sure if the baler damages the grass more but it starts to heat very quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If you crack the grass in any way, it heats up quicker. Needs to be handled gently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Couldn't think of anything worse to be at tbh, you'd be tied to the farm every day of the year
    I had thoughts of buying a zero grazer before and up sr around to MP to 5 but again extra concrete, sheds, cost of extra cows, time and needing at least a part time labour unit those 40 cows wouldn't be half as profitable as the current herd, thats marginal milk to me

Now it's probably more profitable than anything else you could do with that ground apart from leasing it out

The problem with expansion at present is the way regulations are changing. You could spend money now and have to go double or quits in 2-5yesrs to maintain that level.if stocking.

Nitrates per cow are increasingly from 85/cow to 100/cow over next 3-5 years. As well there is talk of the EPA becoming involved in nitrates management for those in derogation similar to intensive pigs and chicken farmers. Add in that there is hint that platform stocking rates are coming in as well maybe at 3.5 cows/HA. When cost is added to any system you need to see a return in sub five years. There was another one flying 12-18 months ago where for larger turnovers flat rate vat refunds would be stopped. That has the potential to take nearly 2c/L off high solids milk.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

You’d be heavily stocked as is wouldnt you? Id be of the opinion the farm is fully capable of 4.5/5/Ha here during the summer and that itd actually be easier to manage as I wouldnt be at surplus everywhere the whole time and Id be getting better use of out land on the outfarm by either zerograzing for the milking platform or high quality bales..

Its down to scale id be thinking those extra 40 cows mightnt be half as profitable but its that extra profit can pay for that extra labour unit and give you time off so that as you say your not tied to the farm every day of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

As with most things in life there's a balance ,

The farm I work at got a lad with a zero grazer for a week or so this autumn , did a good job , ( used it to extend cheese making on farm by a week or so ) ,
    It wasn't cheap though . but you can't expect a contractor to have the machinery there just "for a week " ,
    If there's grass to be zero grazed in spring they'll probably have another go at it ..
    The big plus on a heavy soil farm would be having a contractor available for that really bad spring ,when there's some grass ,but it's too wet to graze ... And the silage is running out ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I dunno about the heavy ground part. If you can get a tractor and trailer into a field, surely cows could be brought in using the correct techniques. Zero grazing in the shoulders off outside blocks would have a place but the few I know who were at it during the summer have all switched to cutting silage normally after 6 weeks growth for quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

richie123 wrote: »
    Bass excellent post.just to add a small bit to it.
    Machines I call them.men who work themselves to the bone to end up with **** all extra and a bigger tax bill.the same men who'd laugh at you for going on a hike or a weekend away.
    We have a lot of machines of men in this country doing far in excess of what's required and know nothing else.
    Larry relies on these machines for his cheap supply of beef.
    If we all cut back by just 5 per cent each.it would do wonders for farming.
    Machines of men is what's destroying farming in this country.
    Bite off only what you can chew comfortably.
    No wonder mental health hip/knee replacement s and cardiovascular disease is so prevalent in farming.
    Cut back, do it better and dont over extend yourself and don't begrudge a few pound to a relief milker or labourer.

Best post so far IMO. Bass is also 100%correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I've got 10ac 2miles down the road which has no water, poor fencing and a landlord who isn't keen on grazing, I usually take 3 cuts a year off it, but the April cut is usually sh1te, growing since the previous September and hard to get grass to wilt anyway proper in April, too few hours of sun, so I'm half thinking of baling it up any dry opportunity in March and feed straight into the milkers and calves immediately. Anyone see any major issues with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Timmaay wrote: »
    I've got 10ac 2miles down the road which has no water, poor fencing and a landlord who isn't keen on grazing, I usually take 3 cuts a year off it, but the April cut is usually sh1te, growing since the previous September and hard to get grass to wilt anyway proper in April, too few hours of sun, so I'm half thinking of baling it up any dry opportunity in March and feed straight into the milkers and calves immediately. Anyone see any major issues with that?

None of baling and feeding within no more than few hours ,u no one locally with z grazer on hire ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Cut it the first week of May when it has a bit more structure
    Made our first cut this year the 10th of May, wasn't grazed at all
    Cane out at 78 dmd and 12me
    Cows milked really well on it in the back end, hopefully have enough to get us through spring now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

Cut it the first week of May when it has a bit more structure
    Made our first cut this year the 10th of May, wasn't grazed at all
    Cane out at 78 dmd and 12me
    Cows milked really well on it in the back end, hopefully have enough to get us through spring now

I done five acres the same around that date. Came in 72 at 14% protein, it will be getting the same treatment this year too.

I did it once. Wouldn’t do it again especially in spring when cows are milking well. They just don’t like to eat fresh grass out of a baler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Bass excellent post.just to add a small bit to it.
    Machines I call them.men who work themselves to the bone to end up with **** all extra and a bigger tax bill.the same men who'd laugh at you for going on a hike or a weekend away.
    We have a lot of machines of men in this country doing far in excess of what's required and know nothing else.
    Larry relies on these machines for his cheap supply of beef.
    If we all cut back by just 5 per cent each.it would do wonders for farming.
    Machines of men is what's destroying farming in this country.
    Bite off only what you can chew comfortably.
    No wonder mental health hip/knee replacement s and cardiovascular disease is so prevalent in farming.
    Cut back, do it better and dont over extend yourself and don't begrudge a few pound to a relief milker or labourer.

Could you apply the same to part time farmers?
    Like - lads who might have good off farm jobs and just come home to farm for no reason, other than to be machines of men?
    Sure they might take some holidays - but couldn’t they just work the standard 9-5 and be happy with that?

I am not sure what the answer to improve beef farming is, but I don’t think placing it at the door of lads who are killing themselves with work is the answer? Especially when it could be argued that a lot of lads on this forum probably don’t depend on farming to put bread on the table - it’s only icing on the cake for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Like - lads who might have good off farm jobs and just come home to farm for no reason, other than to be machines of men?
    Sure they might take some holidays - but couldn’t they just work the standard 9-5 and be happy with that?

I am not sure what the answer to improve beef farming is, but I don’t think placing it at the door of lads who are killing themselves with work is the answer? Especially when it could be argued that a lot of lads on this forum probably don’t depend on farming to put bread on the table - it’s only icing on the cake for them...

Ah no Im not talking about men/women with partime jobs who farm on the side
    Or even lads with large finishing units or 400 500 cows..it's the men that basically do it all themselves work every minute of every day, a family at home they never see.
    They know no better.there life revolves around work and nothing else.we all know who they are and there in every parish in the country.
    No one else can do it has to be done by themselves..that sort of attitude.
    Doing the work of 3 or 4 people and it's a race to to the bottom.
    Pointless.

Ya it could be a.partine lad. It could be a small builder. I heard a story of a husband and wife one a guard the other a nurse. They were the same age to a few months. They worked opposite shifts so that they did not pay childcare. They worked any I overtime available. One was coming in the door the other going out.

After 40+ years they had to retire and did so within weeks of each other. They had nothing in common and separated after six months. The only time they had really been with each other in the last 40 years would be during holidays. Generally as the kids were younger they only took a week to 10 days together again to avoid childcare during the summer.

Ah no Im not talking about men/women with partime jobs who farm on the side
    Or even lads with large finishing units or 400 500 cows..it's the men that basically do it all themselves work every minute of every day, a family at home they never see.
    They know no better.there life revolves around work and nothing else.we all know who they are and there in every parish in the country.
    No one else can do it has to be done by themselves..that sort of attitude.
    Doing the work of 3 or 4 people and it's a race to to the bottom.
    Pointless.

Ya it more noticeable in farming or the building industry. Lads that work themselves to the bone.

However I am not alluding to that regarding a zero grazer or a slurry spreading. In dairying when you get to a certain scale you cannot do everything yourself. It is as often as economical to hire in both the man and the machine as try to have part-time labour. This lad needs a margin on contracting just as much as you need it in milk. Buying a machine to do 50-100 hours a week or less makes no sense to me.

There is an issue in that most contractors are running 150 hp tractors therefore now any machine attached to them is costing 50+/ hour. This is causing some contracting work to be more expensive than it should as a bigger more expensive machine dose not necessarily mean that you are doing X amount more work to justify the extra cost. However in zero Frazer's most contractors are going for bigger machines than a farmer would buy

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Ya it could be a.partine lad. It could be a small builder. I heard a story of a husband and wife one a guard the other a nurse. They were the same age to a few months. They worked opposite shifts so that they did not pay childcare. They worked any I overtime available. One was coming in the door the other going out.

After 40+ years they had to retire and did so within weeks of each other. They had nothing in common and separated after six months. The only time they had really been with each other in the last 40 years would be during holidays. Generally as the kids were younger they only took a week to 10 days together again to avoid childcare during the summer.

Ya it more noticeable in farming or the building industry. Lads that work themselves to the bone.

However I am not alluding to that regarding a zero grazer or a slurry spreading. In dairying when you get to a certain scale you cannot do everything yourself. It is as often as economical to hire in both the man and the machine as try to have part-time labour. This lad needs a margin on contracting just as much as you need it in milk. Buying a machine to do 50-100 hours a week or less makes no sense to me.

There is an issue in that most contractors are running 150 hp tractors therefore now any machine attached to them is costing 50+/ hour. This is causing some contracting work to be more expensive than it should as a bigger more expensive machine dose not necessarily mean that you are doing X amount more work to justify the extra cost. However in zero Frazer's most contractors are going for bigger machines than a farmer would buy

Everyone is different some people love work and it’s what makes them happy.

Loads of farmers complain if being time poor and workload. Having a lifestyle costs money. It costs money to retire. I am retired , I reckon it cost me 100-150k in real terms to retire now as opposed to working to 65. You cannot have it both ways

Slava Ukrainii

When you have lots of them types of people they **** it up for everyone else.
    Larry Goodman loves them ..sure where else would he get his cheap supply of beef ?

Loads of farmers complain if being time poor and workload. Having a lifestyle costs money. It costs money to retire. I am retired , I reckon it cost me 100-150k in real terms to retire now as opposed to working to 65. You cannot have it both ways

I don’t see what retiring has to do with it. The point was some people not just farmers like to work and it makes them happy.

Larry Goodman loves them ..sure where else would he get his cheap supply of beef ?

Retired people keep cattle part time people with good off farm jobs keep cattle dairy farmers are also in the beef game in some form but it’s the lads that work to hard that have the price of beef where it is today 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Retired people keep cattle part time people with good off farm jobs keep cattle dairy farmers are also in the beef game in some form but it’s the lads that work to hard that have the price of beef where it is today 🙄

Any farmer complaining about beef prices simply needs to bow out of beef themselves.
    Well and good complaining about part timers and retired pulling down prices, but the full time guys are doing the same.
    Every beef farmer is just another number, with their scale haveing little difference on finishing price.

Don't like beef price? Then don't supply.

I know I won't, from now on.

• Advertisement

I don’t see what retiring has to do with it. The point was some people not just farmers like to work and it makes them happy.

Lifestyle choices cost money is the point I am making. Trying to do everything yourself is unsustainable long-term. If anything goes wrong it's a total f@@kup.

My point about MF's zero grazer is that lads don't compare like for like. If any business cannot sustain reasonable cost thinking that buying a machine will change the economics is not necessarily the answer. It unlikely that he is buying the exact same size as the contractor. Contractors vary some are good some are below average. Often it's a case of finding a he right lad.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Not having a go Richie - but Larry is getting cheap beef from everyone... if you supplied beef cheap last year, and you got back into the beef game again this year, with all the price uncertainty about - what does that say?

Like I say, not having a go. I am only a hobby farmer, so maybe my view is skewed too...

Not having a go Richie - but Larry is getting cheap beef from everyone... if you supplied beef cheap last year, and you got back into the beef game again this year, with all the price uncertainty about - what does that say?

Like I say, not having a go. I am only a hobby farmer, so maybe my view is skewed too...

Your finest ...Im talking specifically about machines not hobby/partime lads.machines that work 24/7 and then wonder why they need the knee done or hip replaced at 60.
    Doing 3 times the work of a normal hard working person.

And I will hold my hands up I supply beef for half nothing too ...but I have cut back a lot and stopped winter finishing.

And I will hold my hands up I supply beef for half nothing too ...but I have cut back a lot and stopped winter finishing.

The lads ahead if the game are stopping winter finishing. Margins are too low in it. However when a calf hits the ground if it is not exported as a calf or a weanling then he will end up hanging in a factory cold room.

At this stage all any lad can do is have a margin and maintain it. I have no issue with a lad using a few cattle to draw his payments or keep control of his place. Like you I got out of winter finishing as there was no margin in it when you replaced them in springtime. Ya I have a few left over every year that get hung out of the shed around Christmas. This year I had 70 in total and over 10 are being slaughtered out if the shed. I reduced my store numbers to 60 so as to get this number back to 4-6 cattle.
    With Friesians you might be as well to let them back to grass as a three year old as winter finishing costs are too high

Maybe other lads finishing costs are lower than mine or are getting 20c+)kg more but with ration above 250/ ton feeding costs are not well north of 2 eyro/day. Are lads betting on another 100/ head slaughter subsidity this year.

Like you say there is lads out there spending 20-40 hours per week in the marts and racing around in the morning and evening to feed a few cattle or milking the cows for very poor money per hour worked

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
Advertisement