Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning on compassionate grounds????

• 22-09-2020 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Wondering if anyone knows if there is anyway to speed up a planning application. We submitted it September 1st and was told today conditional planning should be granted October 18th and then it goes to Bord Pleanala for 4 weeks and then we've to wait another 2 weeks before we start...We just want to convert the garage and turn it into a wet room. My Dad had a stroke and is currently in a Nursing Home..he is desperate to get home, my mother heartbroken and is ready to care for him at home but we need house altered in order for us to manage him. Does anyone know can it be speeded up on compassionate grounds or do we have to weather the storm! Can't see him home by Xmas at this stage and haven't the heart to tell either of them...any advice!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Cmpower wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone knows if there is anyway to speed up a planning application. We submitted it September 1st and was told today conditional planning should be granted October 18th and then it goes to Bord Pleanala for 4 weeks and then we've to wait another 2 weeks before we start...We just want to convert the garage and turn it into a wet room. My Dad had a stroke and is currently in a Nursing Home..he is desperate to get home, my mother heartbroken and is ready to care for him at home but we need house altered in order for us to manage him. Does anyone know can it be speeded up on compassionate grounds or do we have to weather the storm! Can't see him home by Xmas at this stage and haven't the heart to tell either of them...any advice!!

Is the garage attached?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cmpower

Yes ...semi detached house. Garages joined. ..garage other side converted with a roof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

The time for a decision is anywhere from 5 weeks to 8 weeks and it is almost always right on the 8 weeks with most local authorities. Anything less than that is a bonus - your 18th October date is less than 8 weeks from lodging so you're already getting a bit. The first 5 weeks and the 4 between decision and grant are set out in law so totally immovable.

Push your local representatives and the planners for a decision after 5 weeks ... that's as far as you will be able to get in terms of dates.

Obviously nobody on this forum can give advice regarding rule breaking ...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Agreed.

Id second the statement that we are not allowed to give RULE BREAK advice here.

And any advice to BREAK THE RULES by GOING AHEAD WITH THE ALTERNATION NOW would be seen to be unprofessional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,308 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sydthebeat wrote: »
    BREAK THE RULES by GOING AHEAD WITH THE ALTERNATION NOW would be seen to be unprofessional.
    Have seen it done (successfully) numerous times but as you say it is unprofessional to suggest this never mind the breaching of the forum charter ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,572 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Why have you the ABP piece in there, are you expecting an objection?

I was talking to a friend about this and he asked the following questions:

This is not advice

What works are envisaged in the planning application: are they adding in a window at the front and changing the roof.
    If they only need the garage for the wet room then do they have to change the front of the house to get that piece done?
    a wet room is not a habitable room so easier to get done.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rayjdav

If it is only converting the attached garage to habitable, it does not require permission under Class 1 of exempted development.

CLASS 1
    The extension of a house, by the
    construction or erection of an extension
    (including a conservatory) to the rear of the
    house or by the conversion for use as part
    of the house of any garage
    , store, shed or
    other similar structure attached to the rear
    or to the side of the house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cmpower wrote: »
    Yes ...semi detached house. Garages joined. ..garage other side converted with a roof

Why didn’t you the exempted development route?

Advertisement