Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets talk about Burgers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Either have whatever you want. Unless you mean if they're making a burger for you.

Pubs across Ireland serve a dish called "pasta carbonara" on their menues. They make it with white wine, cream, chicken stock and a roux.

It's not carbonara, no matter how many people call it that on their menu, carbora doesn't have any of those ingredients (carbonara is egg, parmasan, pancetta, garlic and pasta water).

The same is true of burgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Pubs across Ireland serve a dish called "pasta carbonara" on their menues. They make it with white wine, cream, chicken stock and a roux.

It's not carbonara, no matter how many people call it that on their menu, carbora doesn't have any of those ingredients (carbonara is egg, parmasan, pancetta, garlic and pasta water).

The same is true of burgers.

It really isn't though, and this horrible attitude of "what I prefer is the correct and only way" that has arisen in the internet age needs to disappear from Irish life again.

It really isn't though, and this horrible attitude that has arisen in the internet age needs to disappear from Irish life again.

It is though.

Burgers are a specifc thing. They were a quick cheap way to use cheap cuts of meat.

The "chefification" of burgers in Ireland had resulted in horrible dining experiences. Recipies like the one I originally quoted were developed by lads working pubs to justify charging €15 quid for a burger and handful of chips in pubs and restaurants. They produce an inferior, fussier, more expensive product.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Blacktie. wrote: »
    So glad I found this thread. My burger were always fairly bland. I made the fairly large mistake of thinking the leaner the beef the better assuming a higher fat content would make it all fall apart. Just had the first few of the higher fat and the recipe is much better. I also started frying thrn with better and mashing the ball down on the pan instead of having them all pre squashed as I'd done before. Much better burgers.

So right now my recipe is 600g of beef, half a red onion, breadcrumbs, 1 egg, 1 clove of garlic, Worcester sauce, salt and pepper and maybe some chilli flakes.

I see posters are recommending pretty much just beef salt and pepper. Do you not need something to bind the meat together so it doesn't just fall apart?

Theres no right or wrong way with burgers but imo you are on a good track by using the higher fat mince and smashing it down for 20 or 30 seconds so it forms that lovely flavoursome crust.

Give it a try with just salt and pepper and maybe a drop of worchester, but nothing else. For me its a much better burger than it was when I was throwing all sorts of stuff into it and as Subcommante said it doesnt actually need any binders. I just roll it into a ball straight out of the pack and roll that in a soup bowl with salt and pepper in it. That it, the burger is ready in seconds. Dropping all the binders, herbs, spices, etc gives you a far more meatier burger imo. As another poster said "why mess with the main ingredient"

It is though.

Burgers are a specifc thing. They were a quick cheap way to use cheap cuts of meat.

The "chefification" of burgers in Ireland had resulted in horrible dining experiences. Recipies like the one I originally quoted were developed by lads working pubs to justify charging €15 quid for a burger and handful of chips in pubs and restaurants. They produce an inferior, fussier, more expensive product.

I find them nicer, which is grand as I'm the one buying them. For me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

Have been experimenting with all different types of recipes and techniques for years with burgers. Finally found a recipe that really stands out
    If available Black Angus mince, dont even know the cut of the mince i now use its 12% fat
    Mix mince with grated onion, Worcestershire sauce and a handful of grated cheese
    Then divide into about 175g and make into a ball and do the smash technique as explained in earlier posts
    I was doing it first without the smash technique and it was good but smash brought it to the next level, really seals in the juices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

With the smash technique isn't it just one side that's getting mashed or when you flip it do you put some pressure down on it as well?

I just smash the one side of the burger, I have done it both sides but prefer the taste and texture of just having the crust on one side of the burger only. Its horses for courses really though, try both ways and decide which you prefer

With the smash technique isn't it just one side that's getting mashed or when you flip it do you put some pressure down on it as well?

just one side.

I like them pretty thin (I'd prefer 2 3oz patties to 1 6oz) so I'd make a 3oz ball and then smash slightly wider than a burger bun, it'll shrink a little while cooking.
    Cook 2/3rds the way on one side then flip, put cheap melty cheese (easy singles!) and the bun on top, add a desert spoon of water and cover with a lid (melt the cheese and steam the bun).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

In some videos you will see them give a small amount of pressure when flipped, nowhere near the heavy initial smash. If you did smash as much again all the fat and juices would flow out. Many wrongly think smashing is a bad idea as they think this will happen if done at all, but at the start the juices and fat are all in the meat and not ready to flow out yet.

When flipped I think some give a small press just to even it out a little and be in uniform contact with the pan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Good view burger techniques in this video. The smash starts @ 9mins

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

i smash fully the first side and then give a lighter press on the second side, just because im afraid of squeezing out the juices
    but still trying to get that second crust, if that makes any sense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Any tips for doing your burgers on the bbq?

I made a steel plate and smasher for a friend, smash on one side and then flip onto the regular grill to finish it off and get more exposed to smoke. My cast iron pan could sit direct on a bbq.

I used to get mince and roll it out on foil really thinly, then place it foil side down until it cooked enough to be set and then flip over. I hate really thick burgers and many resort to making them that way due to the issues with flipping and worrying about them falling through the grill.

I never tried it but wanted to roll them thin and freeze them, I reckon you could get away with just putting them on with no foil at the start.

Not sure if you have a Weber but I know they do cast iron grill plates like below, pretty pricey I believe though

Craycort-with-two-inserts.jpg

Or you could just get any type of flat cast iron plate and put it on top of the grill plate and smash the burger on that before flipping to the grill to get some smokiness from the charcoal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Not sure if mentioned here already but Aldi selling a burger press at the minute for €6/7. Picked 1 up yesterday.

maximo31 wrote: »
    Not sure if mentioned here already but Aldi selling a burger press at the minute for €6/7. Picked 1 up yesterday.

Had tried to get that one but it was gone early in the local ones. Only the triple mini ones left.

The burger presses are intended just for shaping burgers, not doing smash burgers.

The 397g frenches mustard is 1.49 in aldi at the moment.

rubadub wrote: »
    The burger presses are intended just for shaping burgers, not doing smash burgers.

The 397g frenches mustard is 1.49 in aldi at the moment.

That's all I want it for, I've a plastic one at the moment that makes them a bit too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

I have made a version of a burger in the pressure cooker, called a Salisbury Steak.

250g beef mince
    250g pork mince
    2 onions, 1 onion grated or blitzed in food processor and 1 for later
    pinch of white pepper
    1/4 tsp paprika
    1/4 tsp mustard powder
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1 tbsp of dried breadcrumbs
    1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
    1/2 tsp mixed herbs
    1/2 tsp dired parsley
    1 egg
    Mix and form 3 burgers
    sear on each side on frying pan until each side is browned then set aside.
    Chop an onion into slices and fry in a little oil in the Pressure Cooker.
    As onion softens then add 300ml of beef stock (I use oxo cube) into Pressure Cooker.
    Add
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp paprika
    1/4 tsp mustard powder
    1tsp Worcestershire Sauce
    Carefully put your burgers into the Pressure Cooker , they should rest just on top of the sliced onions , just in the liquid.
    Put on lid and lock and seal. My pressure Cooker is a stove top so I put it on high heat until it reached high pressure, then cook for 6 mins. Then turn off heat and let it reduce pressure naturally (about 5 mins)
    Remove burgers and reduce and thicken stock to make a sauce.
    Serve with mash spuds and veg.

• Advertisement

If anyone wants to try some Big Mac sauce on their homemade burgers then McDonalds are currently selling it in 50g tubs for 50 cents a piece. Only until March 24th though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

Picked up a burger press in ikea a few weeks ago quite pleased with it. Much handier than shaping them by hand.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/grilltider-hamburger-press-aluminium-00458485/

Did some burgers on Sunday evening which came out amazing:

- pork mince
    - tablespoon paprika (smoked if you can)
    - teaspoon mixed herbs
    - 1 egg
    - black pudding crushed up
    - bit of seasoning

Put all together, and cook the burger as you would. Our ones were just fried and I did the smash burger technique.

Crumbling black pudding into the mince is a great addition I find, gives the burger a nice extra flavour.

Aldi have a new product, rib steak burgers which come topped wrapped in maple cured bacon and topped with choice of blue or cheddar cheese. They're pricey enough at 4.49 for 2 but they're half pounders so you definitely wont be hungry afterwards. Would definitely recommend to check them out, they are very tasty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 497 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Had some burgers on Saturday with some red onion chutney, pickles and bone marrow mayo. Served with mac & cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Had some burgers on Saturday with some red onion chutney, pickles and bone marrow mayo. Served with mac & cheese

OMG :eek: They look divine

TheKBizzle wrote: »

God that is a top class burger, better quality than you'd see in many restaurants.

How did you get on with the bone marrow? I experimented with it before to mix into the burger mince but after roasting the bones in the oven there was barely a tablespoon of marrow inside each one. Is that normal? Was surprised how little came out and it felt like a waste of time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 497 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Muahahaha wrote: »

How did you get on with the bone marrow? I experimented with it before to mix into the burger mince but after roasting the bones in the oven there was barely a tablespoon of marrow inside each one. Is that normal? Was surprised how little came out and it felt like a waste of time.

Got on pretty good with the bone marrow. All depends on the bones you get from the butcher. My local butcher keeps some for me so I just roast them all off and scoop out whatever marrow and fat that comes out and use that to make the mayo.

I’ve put marrow into burgers before and beef dripping and both work well enough but I now just toast the bone marrow mayo into the buns and add everything else.

Yeah maybe I got shafted with the bone marrow before! I remember roasting four big bones in the oven and all I got out was a few tablespoons of marrow, a tiny yield considering the big hunks of bones. I must go back and give it another go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't know why this never occurred to me before but I have discovered my perfect burger topping.

Kimchee.

It's a bit sour like a pickle.
    It's a bit spicy like a chilli sauce (a bit of sirracha amps it up)
    It has some salad texture.
    I think a lettuce leaf with it would be good but I didn't have any.

Here's my new, perfect burger construction.
    Bun, lettuce, Kimchee, burger, sirracha, bun.

Anyone tried this?

It's perfect.

Advertisement