Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public speaking...

• 10-11-2009 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭

Ok, this isn't really a life crushing phobia of mine, just something I get a little nervous about, & I was hoping anyone can help me out.:)

My college course involves loads of presentations, & I'd love to improve in it.
    Is there anywhere I can go to get lessons on it? That would really help since I only do this every month for about 5 minutes & I don't think that's often enough to really improve.
    If not I'd love to hear any general tips about this.
    Thanks loads in advance!

P.S. sorry if this is in the wrong forum, if so, maybe the mod could move it?:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Have you tried Toastmasters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Skittlers

Have you tried Toastmasters?

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Liz Kaye

I would have all of the presentations rehearsed really well, so that you knew them off by heart almost. Then I'd do a "dummy run" with your sis or someone who wouldnt laugh. Then maybe enlarge that small circle, and ask for some feedback? It does get better, it really does. I was fascinated by some of "the apprentices" and their sheer "hard necks"...a real lesson to us all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Definitely agree with Liz and would advise a "dummy run" or even a few. Couldn't believe when my girlfriend's group weren't doing this in college. It really is good for taking the nerves out of having an audience and I would say could be the difference between a nervous stuttering speech on the big day and confidently striding through it. Not saying you won't be still nervous for the main speech but at least you will be less likely to let it get the better of you.
    The size of the audience itself isn't too bad, it's more the self-consciousness that people are watching you... I was more nervous before my first test run than my actual presentation... even though I knew then I was allowed to f*ck up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

hate speaking in front of giant crowds or people...

Advertisement