Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

books on depression

Options
  • 14-01-2010 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi, my b/f is after being admitted to hospital with serve depression , and i want to learn more about his illness and how to help him etc and was wondering if there is any books you could recommed i read on the subject,explaining everything to me and maybe reading some1 else story that came though the other side

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭alias06

Tony Bates, 'Depression, The Common Sense Approach'.

Tony Bates, is a clinical psychologist at St James Hospital and is the founder of Headstrong. The book is excellent. He writes weekly in the health section of the Irish Times. His latest article on depression is here.

The book gives many examples of people who have suffered from depression, why, and how they recovered. The last chapter of the book is for carers/ loved ones/ family of those suffering from depression.

You could sign up to the archive for 2 euro and download all his previous articles as they are very good. The book only cost around €10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭pw01

thanks,the artictle seems good,i will get the book and hopefully try and understand it more, im new to all this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

This self-help book unlike 99.999% of other self-help books is grounded in good science - the practice of cognitive therapy which is the most effective psychotherapy for depression. It is recommended for reading to depressed clients by cognitive therapists, and having read it myself I regard it as fantastic. As someone mentions in an Amazon review it's the best fiver you'll ever spend:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Feeling-Good-New-Mood-Therapy/dp/0380810336

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Tony bates book is really good.

If you b/f would like to know more about depression this book is good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SOD-Depression-Virus-How-Deal/dp/1901910237

Its readable , even for when a person a person has depression and hence poor concentration levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

I've not read the books others have recommended here, but I have read Sally Brampton's book Shoot The Damn Dog and it changed my life, or rather, helped me change my life, my outlook on life and on my depression. Was recommended to me by my wonderful GP who has had her own issues with depression.

Honestly, I couldn't recommend it highly enough. I gave it to my family to help them understand what I'd been dealing with and to my sister as she suffered quite badly with post natal depression.

Likely I will read more on the subject, but for now I have understanding, as well as tools to use to deal with depressive episodes, both of which are contained in the book.

Sally is very realistic about this illness and doesn't sugar coat things, but she does show that for all but the very worst cases, there is a way through. I only wish I'd read this book twenty years ago, but better late than never! :) I love this woman, for having the courage to bear her soul and in doing so, have helped so many. Shoot The Damn Dog relates the author's own experience of depression, being hospitalised, drinking to try to cope, suicide attempts (if I recall correctly), attempted psychotherapy with a variety of therapists before finding the treatment combination that suited her. My own experience wasn't quite as extreme as Sally's, but at times I did wish I could be hospitalised. It did devastate most of my adult life though and I'm only now, in my early forties getting my life sorted in every respect. Its tragic really. Depression affects so many of us, yet theres a taboo about admitting you suffer. Its incredibly isolating, until you read a book like Sally's and discover its so prevalent. Aware is the relevant charity in Ireland and I know they hold weekly meetings in most towns. Not had the courage to go yet, but likely I will, because I'll take all the help I now know is out there, to avoid going back to that darkest of places, where I spent far too long and wasted so many precious days.

As to the style of the book in terms of how its written. Yes, because its a serious subject, a lot of the stuff is 'heavy', but from the very first page I realised this book was written for me and that meant the world...that someone else completely understood. Its written with huge compassion as well as a dark sense of humour and despite being in tears quite often while reading the book, it also frequently had me laughing out loud. A copy of this book will be with me forever.....its honest, its inspirational and it shows different paths to dealing with the illness.
    Bottom line, it gives sufferers and carers alike, hope.....and depression takes hope away, thats why this book is such a gift.

Good luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭John368

pw01

It is important that you read books written for friends and relatives of people with depression rather than general books on depression or books written with sufferers in mind.

If your boyfriend came here, I could give him a list of good books which have helped me recover from depression.

As someone who has been a caerer as well as a sufferer, I know that carers also need help. I got my help as a carer form a support group, but I think there are some books for carers, even though they may be hard to find.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 LadyLee

M Scott Peck- Further along the road Less travelled.
    There is a chapter on depression worth looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭pw01

John 368 - could you give me a list of books that mite halp my b/f.Just so he can read up on it and hopefully see sum light

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭John368

pw01

Sorry, I said if HE here, I would give HIM a list. Depression is very very personal. It is never the same for each person. I suggest that you talk to your b/f's doctor if you can. He might be able to give some advice.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

pw01 wrote: »
    was wondering if there is any books you could recommed i read on the subject,explaining everything to me and maybe reading some1 else story that came though the other side
    pw01 wrote: »
    could you give me a list of books that mite halp my b/f.Just so he can read up on it and hopefully see sum light

Many people who are severely depressed do not have the concentration or motivation to read a book. You're probably better off reading a couple yourself so you have them when he's feeling better.

In any case if he is in hospital, he'll be talking to nurses, doctors, OTs etc who will be explaining about depression to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭__plec__

Hi pw01, sorry im going to recommend a book for both you and your bf,i know its not what you've asked but id reommend reading 'stop thinking, start living' by Richard Carlson.

Its an extremely simple book,but i found it got me started on the road to recovery.I had suffered from depression for about 15 years,to a stage where i was afraid to even leave my bedroom,thought id always been like this,and that depression was a disease i just had to get used to.I had been on all sorts of medication etc which would work for a little but then fade.

However 2 years on and i feel on top of the world,have the odd bad moment but i can deal with it now,life has never been better.

Im not saying this book will 'cure' your bf or anything like that,but hopefully give him a different perspective on what depression is, and in turn hopefully help him come through these tough times

Best of luck with it all :)

Advertisement