Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human nature can be changed?

Options
  • 14-02-2010 2:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Folks,
    Do you think, Personality can be changed ?- what ever we learnt in first few years- we follow that script for the rest of our lives!! Can we really change our selves completely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

What do you mean by 'human nature'? Do you mean personality? or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭leom

What do you mean by 'human nature'? Do you mean personality? or what?

Yes Personality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

leom wrote: »
    Yes Personality

Personality and your nature is fluid. You were a different person seven years ago, literally. Atom by atom, molecule by molecule, cell by cell, you have been changed.

Likewise, your personality will change over time. If environment is a deciding factor in shaping you, your memory and experience of that environment will change.

Lets say if you as you are now and a version of you that was around 10 years ago were to meet today-would you be friends with the person you were 10 years ago if you met them? Would you even be able to relate to them, even though you experienced the mind-set they are experiencing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Personality and your nature is fluid. You were a different person seven years ago, literally. Atom by atom, molecule by molecule, cell by cell, you have been changed.
    ...except for cardiac muscle. That is never renewed, as far as I know. My apologies for having to be pedantic. To the OP: personality can change easily. Whilst things which happen in our youth can greatly affect the adult that we become, it's never the case that such things are 'set' in childhood, such that we are unable to change them.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

The idea that a person is physically a completely different person every X number of years is indeed not true, but for far more reasons than just cardiac muscles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭leom

Likewise, your personality will change over time. If environment is a deciding factor in shaping you, your memory and experience of that environment will change.

Lets say if you as you are now and a version of you that was around 10 years ago were to meet today-would you be friends with the person you were 10 years ago if you met them? Would you even be able to relate to them, even though you experienced the mind-set they are experiencing?
    Kevster wrote: »
    ...except for cardiac muscle. That is never renewed, as far as I know. My apologies for having to be pedantic. To the OP: personality can change easily. Whilst things which happen in our youth can greatly affect the adult that we become, it's never the case that such things are 'set' in childhood, such that we are unable to change them.

Kevin

So suppose, if some one is shy or introvert and it is due to childhood traumas - can s/he becomes completely free of those deeply rooted unconscious traits. I think people carry their traits for the rest of their lives - am i wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

You're wrong, because I am living proof that people change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

@leom - Yes but they can be managed or modified....not a radical personality transplant, but adaptive changes can be brought about.

Advertisement