Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

fitz wrote: »
    Same. My Kamado Joe is positively mean about using up charcoal.

That’s the main advantage of a kamado over a Weber smokey mountain. That and the dual grill/smoke purpose.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Is that a green bag? I got some in a garden centre a few weeks back. Reasonably good, some nice big chunks

That’s the one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

That's a lot of charcoal. On my kamado, if I fill the firebox (use around 2kg) and then get it to 225F, I can reasonably expect only half the charcoal to be fully used after 8 hours.

What size is the kamado?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Smurts

The Nal wrote: »
    47cm Weber Smokey Mountain display model on sale in Woodies Carrickmines. €285. Down from €500.

Speaking of beef ribs. Froze these a few months ago. They reheated well last night. Put them in a pot with the sauce, covered with parchment paper and a lid and simmered for an hour or so. Fall off the bone goodness. Didn't even need a knife.

IMG-20200919-202408.jpg

Down to €200 today, cheers for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

What size is the kamado?

18" diameter.

• Advertisement

18" diameter.

And only one level? Makes senses I suppose. Weber is much bigger so needs more fuel!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Done the last of my pork shoulders yesterday. Kinda nice being out in the cold and the heat off the smoker was cool.

Anyways, 9lb shoulder dry rubbed with home made recipe had it in for 13hrs, wasn't in a rush.

Plenty of pulled pork for next few days.

Can highly recommend bear claws for pulled pork

s-l1600.jpg

Also handy for "home deeefence" as some of the American reviewers say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

And only one level? Makes senses I suppose. Weber is much bigger so needs more fuel!

Can do two levels with the addition of a second grill plate (not included in the box)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Can highly recommend bear claws for pulled pork

Also handy for "home deeefence" as some of the American reviewers say

Slow-Cooker-Pulled-Pork-6840.jpg

Also works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭clivej

527660.jpg

Bought my 1.8kg brisket from James Whelan's in Clonmel. Paid for a big bone as well. Don't think I'll be going back again. Got the Pork belly from Doyle's in Dunlavin, a good price and they do all the BBQ cuts of meat. Best to phone your order in before Thursday's.

SPG with American mustard rub on the beef and Memphis dust rub with the mustard on the pork. Put on the BBQ at 7.30am and gave it 10 hours. Got a stall at 2.30pm for a couple of hours and as the meal was for 5.30pm I wrapped both joints in foil until the 96C temp. was reached.
    Belly was delicious, I tried to cut it up but ended up pulling it off. Brisket was moist and tender (and tasted great). I cut this up into small slices.
    But the brisket dried out soon, but still very tender. How can it keep the brisket moist for longer????
    Finished up at 11.30pm with the firepit heater keeping us nice and warm all evening.

Brisket and that Bone
    527647.jpeg

Brisket
    527649.jpg

Pork Belly
    527651.jpeg

Ready to serve
    527652.jpeg

Briskit and bone.jpeg

Briskit_small_image.jpg

Attachment not found.

Pork shoulder with rub.jpeg

Briskit and Pork on the plate.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭clivej

Firepit heater, a log burner, made from an air compressure cylinder.

527659.jpeg

Family eating Briskit and Pork.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

What i have learned with brisket, if you start with bad quality brisket nothing you can do its going to dry out, but that sounds like you got it from good place
    With brisket i always inject the night before with beef stock
    Always wrap brisket in tinfoil at stall, but lately been experimenting wrapping a little bit earlier
    At 150f its got enough smoke and good smoke rings
    normally dont open smoker but have done last few time and noticed drip drop the juice leaking out starting around this temp
    Have found wrapping tightly around this time seals the juice into the meat
    Not wrapping brisket in my opinion is not an option for brisket

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

The last couple of times I have bought quite pricey brisket from Higgins (Sutton Cross, Dublin), with a view to getting a piece with as much of an intact fat cap as possible. I would like even more than I have got, but it does make a difference.

One thing at the back of my mind is a question I have whether in Ireland our grass-fed cows are optimal for producing the type of really, really fatty meat that suits brisket. Grass-fed beef has a tighter texture, is leaner in general and I understand it generally has less monosaturated fats in particular than grain-fed beef like you'd get in the U.S states where brisket is king.

If you compare grass fed steaks to USDA grain fed steaks most of us would probably prefer the grass fed steaks, and in particular cuts that makes sense, but for brisket I suspect it's the other way around.

I'm not saying you can't cook brisket in Ireland, but like I said, I just wonder if what is available to us is ideal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Ordered a few bags of charcoal last night from the Oxford Charcoal Company. Good sale prices at the moment.

Havent been following this thread for a while.
    How did people fair with the mini Kamado?
    Still getting use or just novelty >?
    I still want one either way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

Was it on here that someone was mentioning picanha and the videos on Youtube from GugaFoods? I can't seem to find the post so could have been somewhere else.

Anyway, I watched this video there yesterday as I am planning to get some Picanha steaks this weekend but the big stand out from the video for me was the Espetoflex skewer. It looks like a brilliant thing altogether but can't find where to get one online. Anyone ever come across one? I might ask in the Brazilian shop at the weekend if I go there for the Picanha.

https://espetoflex.com.br/produto/espetoflex

Any Kamado owners have a Joetisserie or any rotisserie? It's in my head now and I know how that usually ends up - me with empty pockets!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Anyone here use Valhalla meats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sidford

Anyone have any experience of stuffed pork steaks? Was going to put it on around 160 for about 90 mins with a drip tray with apple juice & apple cider vinegar with an apple wood chunk.
    Struggling to find much online re timing so just checking here

Update:
    60 mins was enough at around 155-160. Drip tray really helped with keeping temp down and pork didn't dry out. Threw on a hickory chunk as well, can really taste it. Definitely recommend it

Sunday BBQ again tomorrow. Picked up 3kg picanha from butchers in airfield market.

Don't have skewers to cook it so torn between cooking it whole or cutting it into steaks.

Anyone got much experience with it? Most recipes are just plenty salt, pepper and oil so will stick with that.

Sidford wrote: »
    Sunday BBQ again tomorrow. Picked up 3kg picanha from butchers in airfield market.

Don't have skewers to cook it so torn between cooking it whole or cutting it into steaks.

Anyone got much experience with it? Most recipes are just plenty salt, pepper and oil so will stick with that.

The video I posted a few posts up says the best way to cook it is as steaks - he reverse sears them. I was at a bbq recently where the guy started cooking it whole over direct heat and then cut it into steaks. If it were me, I’d go for the reverse sear steaks.

Thanks for that.

Cut it into steaks, as advised on video went with the grain, and reverse seared them. Some of the steaks were quality, others with little fat on them were very tough. Assume I got the bad part of pacinha included in it (like they talked about in the video).

Will definitely try it again but from a different butcher. I'm not the most experienced cook around but still havnt beaten the satisfaction of cooking a quality steak with the smell and look of it.

Thanks for that.

Cut it into steaks, as advised on video went with the grain, and reverse seared them. Some of the steaks were quality, others with little fat on them were very tough. Assume I got the bad part of pacinha included in it (like they talked about in the video).

Will definitely try it again but from a different butcher. I'm not the most experienced cook around but still havnt beaten the satisfaction of cooking a quality steak with the smell and look of it.

What weight was the picanha before you cut it?

budgemook wrote: »
    What weight was the picanha before you cut it?

Just slightly over 3kgs, was too big for just the 2 of us so put other half in freezer. Still came out with 4 decent sized streaks about 1-1.5 inch thick

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thanks for that.

I've had great results with cooing picanha whole and then slicing it fairly thick like roast beef. I seared it well all over and wrapped it and let is rest for at least half an hour at around 60degC.
    I cook tri tip the same way with similar results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Very new to charcoal grilling but enjoying the few little bits I've done so far. Recently won a mini kamado in a Heineken promotion, wondering if it's possible to get some accessories like a heat deflector for it? Steel grate is about 27cm wide. I've attached a quick vid of it here,

https://imgur.com/a/STuH05j

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Smurts

That looks deadly, great colour!

I got my heat deflector from here for a similar size:

https://www.wlanthermo-shop.de/grillzubehoer/22/deflektor-kamado-13i-xl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Just an FYI.

The Premium Butcher is doing free delivery on orders over €50 for 48hrs.

Really good brisket and dry aged steaks, have the picana on order for next week.

Advertisement