Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weak calf- 3 weeks old

Options
  • 20-09-2020 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

3 week old calf here that's still very weak. I always find her lying on her own. I stand her up and she wags the rail, licks her lips etc. She's just that bit weak and dull in herself. I started feeding the cow some dairy nuts this morning to try and boost milk. This her 4th calf and while she wasn't great for milk, she reared an ok calf.

Is there anything I could give the calf to get it thriving better. Would an egg a day help her?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Take a Dung sample in case there is anything up that way. Is the cow letting the calf drink?. Electrolytes would do no harm anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

Have you checked that the cow has much milk?
    The dairy nuts should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Calf is drinking cow ok. This morning calf had a good lather of milk around its mouth after drinking. Have a sneaky suspicion another stronger calf is drinking her too. I've seen him trying to drink her but she didn't let him. I'll seperate them when I have him polled.

Calf is just too lifeless for my liking.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Calf is drinking cow ok. This morning calf had a good lather of milk around its mouth after drinking. Have a sneaky suspicion another stronger calf is drinking her too. I've seen him trying to drink her but she didn't let him. I'll seperate them when I have him polled.

Calf is just too lifeless for my liking.

You could be right about another calf stealing the milk from her which would definitely be an issue if the cow is a poor milker to start with. I'd try and separate them immediately tbh as every day without sufficient milk is detrimental to the younger calf. Do you think the weaker calf would have gotten sufficient colostrum after birth? It's all the same now but I usually find that any calf that develops issues usually didn't get enough good quality beastings and has a weaker immune system.

The cow hardly has mastitis in some of the quarter's and therefore has even less or poorer quality milk? A neighbor lost a fine CHx bull calf a few months back when he was a week old. He was sucking the cow but whatever dose was in the elder had him poisoned before they spotted why he wasn't thriving. It would be no harm to check that the calf's mouth is fully developed and unobstructed so that he's able to suckle and ingest the milk properly.

There's lots of possible causes but if you're not happy with the calf's progress then there's almost certainly something amiss. At that age the calf should be very lively and thriving away. I'd be inclined to try and sort something about sooner rather than later as it's a critical time for development and they can still go down hill rapidly at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If it’s handy I’d be checking the calf’s temperature. Maybe consider a multivitamin injection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

A shot of selenium works here on calves like that , calf wouldn't be sick , no temp or anything just lifeless . lazy lump always lying down
    cant remember the name of it right now, white liquid injection from the vet

Vitesel??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is the calfs navel ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

tanko wrote: »
    Vitesel??
    thats it . on the ball
    you use it ?

oneten wrote: »
    thats it . on the ball
    you use it ?

Yeah, my vets would have advised me to give it to a few weak calves over the years.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is the calfs navel ok?

Ya, seems ok. I did it with iodine anyway.

I found her this evening drinking the cow and her tail wagging like mad. She just needs that little boost to get going.
    I had to stomach tube her when born as wasn't sure if she drank. Could only get a litre from the mother at the time and wasn't so sure if she had drank the following day. I've been watching her like a hawk since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭50HX

With the temp change that's coming would you house the 2 of them plus rule out another calf drinkin mother as posted earlier?

Would this be Joint ill ? I took this pic this morning.
    It's the same calf. I noticed that she has biten the skin raw on her front shins. I take this as a sign she is in pain.

Otherwise she has improved a bit. I removed the other calf I thought was drinking the cow and I'm feeding meal to the mother.

Did you give the calf multimin or some tonic? The hair loss I would treat with tonavet or something similar. Will the calf eat calf crunch?

Did you give the calf multimin or some tonic? The hair loss I would treat with tonavet or something similar. Will the calf eat calf crunch?

I might try some Growvite Forte on her.

Her right knee looks swollen in that pic, is she walking ok on it?

tanko wrote: »
    Her right knee looks swollen in that pic, is she walking ok on it?

Better front pic. They look ok to me.
    Went out again to look at her and couldn't find her for a while. Lying in the rushes. I stood her up and she passed clear urine.
    Younger calf with them and it running around with the cows.

Do you think has the cow enough milk for her?

Pic...

Do you think has the cow enough milk for her?
    I'm given her dairy nuts so we'll see. Grass ain't great though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I'm given her dairy nuts so we'll see. Grass ain't great though.

Did he get any bit of a scour? I had 1 out of a springer in June that got crypto and he spent 2 months trying to die on me before he came around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

we had two very frosty nights, maybe it is taking the calf a while to warm up in the morning and get going, especially if she isn't a fleshy calf. Maybe put them in a straw bed a night until she perks up.

I would give her the Growvite, 10 ml dose will last her 4-6 weeks.

Did he get any bit of a scour? I had 1 out of a springer in June that got crypto and he spent 2 months trying to die on me before he came around.
    No scour whatsoever. This one just born weak and still slow to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

We had the exact same with that big dozy white bull. Would find him nibbling at his front legs, was always lagging behind the rest & would have to bring him to the cows. Funny smelling dung too but no scour.
    Have you ever seen her nibbling at grass at all? Watching ours we never ever seen him graze or cud so gave him Kefir for a few days & a selenium shot & then tried him with soft grass but would have to tempt him to eat it. After about a week we finally noticed him grazing by himself.
    Perhaps try her with some hay & see if she'll pick at it in the field.

We had one a bit like that in the spring and we got the vet to him. He was about 5 weeks old, he was riddled with lice. Vet was saying you wouldn't normally think of it in such a young animal

I gave it a dose today anyway of Growvite Forte. Caught her in the field with a strap and knocked her to the ground. She was lively enough now, but you would expect her to put up more of a fight.

We had the exact same with that big dozy white bull. Would find him nibbling at his front legs, was always lagging behind the rest & would have to bring him to the cows. Funny smelling dung too but no scour.
    Have you ever seen her nibbling at grass at all? Watching ours we never ever seen him graze or cud so gave him Kefir for a few days & a selenium shot & then tried him with soft grass but would have to tempt him to eat it. After about a week we finally noticed him grazing by himself.
    Perhaps try her with some hay & see if she'll pick at it in the field.

I'll keep an eye on her and see if grazing. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭green daries

As Whelan says a pour on for lice would be no harm have seen similar cases of weaker calves with lice fairly knocks them the grovite will help with her immune system shot of selenium possibly would help

Just an update on this calf -
    I had the vet out today with her. She has been breathing heavy for the last 4 days or so. I have her in a shed on her own 5 days and let the cow into her 3 times a day. I thought at first she was just winded from suckling the cow, with the cow having so little milk. I had listened to her lungs, but couldn't hear anything. It's like she is restricted in the throat or head. She also has a swelling on the left side of her mouth.
    Vet reckoned she maybe got a kick from the cow. But the cow is quiet and mad about her. Maybe she got it outside from another cow. Vet is a bit baffled by it. He reckons she is getting enough milk and to get her on hay/straw first to get the rumen going before giving her meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Just an update on this calf -
    I had the vet out today with her. She has been breathing heavy for the last 4 days or so. I have her in a shed on her own 5 days and let the cow into her 3 times a day. I thought at first she was just winded from suckling the cow, with the cow having so little milk. I had listened to her lungs, but couldn't hear anything. It's like she is restricted in the throat or head. She also has a swelling on the left side of her mouth.
    Vet reckoned she maybe got a kick from the cow. But the cow is quiet and mad about her. Maybe she got it outside from another cow. Vet is a bit baffled by it. He reckons she is getting enough milk and to get her on hay/straw first to get the rumen going before giving her meal.
    I presume the Vet ruled out diphtheria.

Advertisement