Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driveway - Slope

Options
  • 21-09-2020 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking to get the driveway replaced. It slopes towards the house and I'm worried about drainage.

I was thinking about tarmac or concrete tbh.

One company suggested block paving - slane blocks and said they were anti slip which would help. Is that true?

All companies said they could supply an aco drain (?) but some of them said the drain goes against the house while others have it at the bottom of slope and will add a bit of slope towards the house so water falls back. The second option seems right to me?

Any assistance would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Any pics of the garden and slope?
    How severe is the slope?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭Daith

Gumbo wrote: »
    Any pics of the garden and slope?
    How severe is the slope?

Might give you some idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Cant tell from your photo if there is much slope but certainly, i would create a footpath width against the house that slopes away from the house, then drainage channel then sloped drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

well what happens at the moment?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

well what happens at the moment?

At the moment it tends to pool at the bottom with some trailing off to the drain. It's not great.

Every person who has looked at it recommended an aco drain, slightly tilted to the drain. Was just curious why one was suggesting putting the drain right at house.

Also some have suggested tarmac over concrete because it handles water better?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

if it does not flood now it will not flood

just resurface

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lkl3bY7Z88k

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    if it does not flood now it will not flood

just resurface

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lkl3bY7Z88k

Thanks it definitely pools at bottom.

I'm leaning towards just concrete or tarmac it all (I know it's a but boring but be fine for me). Was just curious about the drain position and if the slate tiles would work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is no valid reason why you would allow the channel against the house if the other option is available.
    Possibly the guy who suggested that was ooting for the slightly easier option.

Advertisement