Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Cooking club week 1 : Black Pudding topped with Stewed Apple wrapped in Pastry

Options
  • 10-01-2011 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Ok everyone time to get it going and I am the 1st up for the cooking club this year. I have decided to go with a starter which I love making and I hope you will enjoy as well.

We are going to do black pudding topped with stewed apple wrapped in puff pastry. I normally serve it alongside a mixed salad with honey mustard dressing and some relish.

You’ll need the following
    Black pudding (the best quality you can get, but I won’t mention brand names )
    Cooking apple
    Puff pastry ( I normally use a sheet of frozen )
    Butter
    Sugar
    An egg

For the stewed apple
    Peel the apple and cut it into cubes.
    Put oil in your pan, add the butter and allowed to melt ( about 50 g )
    Add the apple and keep it at a low heat, add in sugar (2 table spoons or to taste )
    Keep the apple on the heat until it is soft and taste to check sweetness etc.
    When it’s ready just put to one side until needed.

Pastry & black pudding

As with most pastry you’ll need it out of the freezer for about 3 hrs so it’s ready to use when you need it.
    Cut your black pudding into about 20mm pieces and put to one side.
    Get your pastry and cut into squares big enough to wrap the pudding and apple topping in.
    Place the pudding in the centre of the piece of pastry and top with some of the stewed apple.
    Brush the edges of the pastry with a beaten egg and close in the pastry around the pudding and apple (this can be like a wong tong shape or in a parcel )
    Now brush the top of the pastry with the beaten egg and place on grease proof paper in an oven dish.
    Put in a pre heated oven and cook at 220c until the top of the pastry is golden brown.
    Take out and allow to sit for a few minutes before serving

Salad and Dressing

For my salad I use mixed leaves, cherry tomatos, red onion and red pepper. But you can add anything you like as a salad is what you make it.
    The dressing is simple and made with 2 tea spoons of white wine vinegar, half a table spoon of Dijon mustard, half a table spoon of honey and salt and pepper to taste.
    Put the salad in a bowl, add the dressing and mix. I would do this just before serving as you don’t want the salad to get soggy.
    You can add some relish to the side of the plate if you wish or if you feel it will interfere with the dressing you can leave it out.

Well that’s it and you’ll see a picture below of how I serve it. Good luck with it and any questions just let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Yeahhhhhh the cooking club 2011 gets underway! This looks lovely, cant wait to try it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This looks fantastic! Nice and simple, but I imagine it's incredibly tasty. I can't wait to try it :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Picture as promised

starter.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I always struggle to get a decent black pudding so all recommendations welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

Looks great, i'm going to make it later in the week yum yum:D

• Advertisement

It depends on where you are in the country but 1st stop should be your butcher and they will always be able to get you the good stuff !

If your in Dublin you can also try Sheridan's cheese company on South Anne st !

Of the commerical ones i like Rudds myself !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

+1 for rudds I think its one of the best commercial puddings going

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Clonakilty Black Pudding can't beat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

I had lovely black pudding over christmas - Inch House. Just had a look online there, it's not the easiest to get so unfortunately won't have it for this recipe, but I'd recommend it if you come across it!
    http://www.inchhouse.ie/food/produce/inch-house-traditional-black-pudding/

Will try this recipe at the weekend, looks delicious!

Clonakilty Black Pudding can't beat it.

Stevie likes Rudds;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Tried this today - lovely easy recipe, and very tasty. Used shortcrust pastry as there was no puff pastry in the shop and was too lazy to make my own. Turned out fine but can imagine puff pastry is nicer. The relish went very well with it. Was not very photo-worthy though, need to work on my pastry folding technique (at least that'll be my excuse for making this again!).
    Thanks, OP :)

Good to hear JW, i like to keep it as simple as possible with maxium taste. You can do a simple dish but bring together some classic flavours as in apple and black pudding. Getting the taste right 1st is important and then move to how you present it on the plate, no point in it looking food if it doesn't taste good as well !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Could you use normal apples in this instead of cooking apples?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

jw297 wrote: »
    I had lovely black pudding over christmas - Inch House. Just had a look online there, it's not the easiest to get so unfortunately won't have it for this recipe,

You can pick it up in Avoca, had it a little while ago, I wasn't taken with it- I think it had a bit of a clove taste to it, that just didn't sit right

JohnK wrote: »
    Could you use normal apples in this instead of cooking apples?

Yeah you can but don't add as much sugar to them and don't cook for as long as they can turn into mush a lot quicker !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I was thinking about trying this but with sasauge meat rather than black pudding. Maybe with a bit of apricot added in too.
    Do ya reckon it could be ok?

Fire away, but the reason for the apple and black pudding is that its a classic combo in food and thats why it works so well !

I went for Tesco's own brand 'Superior Black Pudding', was very nice. They didn't have Rudds.

The dish was great, tastey and easy to put together, perfect for a Sunday evening. Thanks elvis jones!

DSC_3042.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This is going to be great!

165387_10150175666344251_516309250_8775685_8265954_n.jpg

Going to make these later, will post pics when done.

• Advertisement

Made them yum yum. Was in a rush so they didnt look as nice as they could but tasted great.

02022011159.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Hi...do you need to fry off the Pudding at the start?? Or will it cook itself in the pastry while in oven??

Sikpupi wrote: »
    Hi...do you need to fry off the Pudding at the start?? Or will it cook itself in the pastry while in oven??

It will cook away grand in the oven. Enjoy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I made these last week; Im not normally much of a black pudding fan but these were amazing! Meant to take a pic but they were all scoffed before I remembered :D Thanks OP!

I'm thinking about making these shortly, as part of a 3-course meal. Looking at the pictures, you all served two per person. Are they quite filling, or would you be grand to go on and eat another two courses afterwards? I'm trying to decide between serving one or two!

I'd say one was enough with a little light side salad Faith.

Faith wrote: »
    I'm thinking about making these shortly, as part of a 3-course meal. Looking at the pictures, you all served two per person. Are they quite filling, or would you be grand to go on and eat another two courses afterwards? I'm trying to decide between serving one or two!

I'd say go with 2 small ones as 1 just tastes like more:)

But a small side salad and try to go for the small black pudding if you can !

I made these last night. And then again this afternoon. I LOVE this recipe! My dining companion enjoyed it, but wasn't overly keen - but that's because he's not mad about apple really.

I've only ever had stewed apple the way my mum does it - a bit of water and sugar, and I've never liked it much. Stewing it in butter just blew my mind. It was beyond delicious. I made another two for myself for lunch :D.

Thanks so much for this recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Hoping to try this one out tonight in advance of a dinner party next week. Went with Clonakilty but looks like I should have got the Rudds :P

Noticed a few variations of this recipe use fried onion either as a base beneath the pudding or mashed into the pudding itself. Anyone ever tried it like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

So, I had this for dinner tonight! :)

Very nice. Loved it! One thing I did a little bit different was that I cut a thin slice of apple and shaped it to the same diameter as the pudding and I also put a tiny square of brie cheese in there too.

The cheese and apple dissolved and melted downwards and worked out really well, adding a delicate sweetness.

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=9653

I had actually made this already but didn't take a photo of it. That's why I didn't post until I made it again!

I'll be having this again, elvis.

Advertisement