Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age were you when you made the decision

Options
  • 31-03-2021 2:44pm

A simple poll, just select the approx age bracket you were in when you made the decision to be child free

The poll is open-ended so I'm hoping that over time we end up with a few hundred votes which may give some indication as to the age when this decision typically happens. But then again it might not.

I guess I'm curious because as far as I know there is no such data around this question.

What age were you when you decided to be child free? 114 votes

Less than 18
    59% 68 votes
    18-20
    14% 16 votes
    21-25
    1% 2 votes
    26-30
    4% 5 votes
    31-35
    12% 14 votes
    36-40
    5% 6 votes
    41-45
    2% 3 votes
    46-50
    0% 0 votes

Comments

I voted for 'less than 18'. I can never recall a time when I pictured myself 'in future' with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Likewise - I can't remember ever wanting children, so I don't think it was ever a conscious decision, but rather nothing made me change my existing perspective/preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

I picked 'less than 18' but I think I made a conscious decision and knew I'd never have kids in my early 20s. I'm 32 now.

I knew early, for a variety of reasons that i would never have kids.

It cost me my relationship with my ex, who I told about never wanting kids, she said I was only 22 or whatever and would change my mind. 5 years in, the conversation came up and I told her I was serious when I told her about kids. She wanted them so we made the heartbreaking decision to split.

I'm now engaged to an amazing, like minded woman who made her decision to not have kids before we met and we are very happy with 2 dogs at the moment.

This is a great forum that I've just noticed has been started. I missed the vote for it so fair play to those who made it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I knew for sure by 16 I didn't want them.

Great to see over 50 responses already, thank folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I chose less than 18 but as others have pointed out and I've said myself previously, it was never a decision for me, it was just something I always knew. I'd say very few people actually make a conscious decision about it, tbh, so the question probably could have been framed a bit differently and maybe returned more responses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

I think I always knew I didn't want to have kids but it took a while for the penny to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

It's been a gradual thing that I'm only really coming to terms with fully now, age 31. Always was totally set on having kids growing up, til my late 20s. Then I started feeling on the fence, but my partner always said he wanted kids, and I presumed with age I would feel the urge, but now we are both leaning much more towards not doing it at all. He's 33.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

The same as others, it was never a conscious decision, I just never wanted them and knew I didn’t want them. For me, it’s similar to how I never made a decision to join the circus, or become a nightclub promoter or uproot and go live in Alaska, I never had to mull over the pros and cons because I never had the slightest interest in or desire to do any of those things.

The same as others, it was never a conscious decision, I just never wanted them and knew I didn’t want them. For me, it’s similar to how I never made a decision to join the circus, or become a nightclub promoter or uproot and go live in Alaska, I never had to mull over the pros and cons because I never had the slightest interest in or desire to do any of those things.

Thats a hilarious way of putting it, love it

• Advertisement

I have never wanted kids. I was always telling my friends this as a teenager and they actually still mention it now (we're all 40 odd). I was always told I would change my mind but definitely by the time I was 30 I knew this wasn't happening.
    I met my now husband when I was 33. He was 26. I made it very clear I didn't ever want children. He married me anyway. He has said he would like to have children, but he likes being with me more. That did start a reaction in my head. I started to think that maybe I should, as he would be a fantastic father.
    It doesn't help that we are married less than two years so people expect it of us now. I have a lot of fears about future regret, but I know that I am happy now and will continue being happy without children.
    I think the nail in the coffin was when we decided we wanted a second dog. In my mind I was still saddled with the notion that I was married now to a man who wanted a child so I pretty much had to. I started to feel under the pressure of this hypothetical child, I couldn't have a second dog because this child was going to need my time and attention. Then I realised, I want the second dog. I want a third dog and all the subsequent dogs. I want kittens, many kittens, that I can foster and send to good homes. I want to visit Canada, Japan, and New Zealand. I want all of those things, and I don't want the hypothetical child. And my husband, when I spoke to him about it, wants all that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

I have never wanted kids. I was always telling my friends this as a teenager and they actually still mention it now (we're all 40 odd). I was always told I would change my mind but definitely by the time I was 30 I knew this wasn't happening.
    I met my now husband when I was 33. He was 26. I made it very clear I didn't ever want children. He married me anyway. He has said he would like to have children, but he likes being with me more. That did start a reaction in my head. I started to think that maybe I should, as he would be a fantastic father.
    It doesn't help that we are married less than two years so people expect it of us now. I have a lot of fears about future regret, but I know that I am happy now and will continue being happy without children.
    I think the nail in the coffin was when we decided we wanted a second dog. In my mind I was still saddled with the notion that I was married now to a man who wanted a child so I pretty much had to. I started to feel under the pressure of this hypothetical child, I couldn't have a second dog because this child was going to need my time and attention. Then I realised, I want the second dog. I want a third dog and all the subsequent dogs. I want kittens, many kittens, that I can foster and send to good homes. I want to visit Canada, Japan, and New Zealand. I want all of those things, and I don't want the hypothetical child. And my husband, when I spoke to him about it, wants all that too.

In the end he will leave and have children with someone else, be prepared for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

99nsr125 wrote: »
    In the end he will leave and have children with someone else, be prepared for this.

Spoken with the confidence that only comes with years of extreme ignorance.

I've never wanted kids but I think it's only been this past year that I've felt comfortable enough that I won't ever want them. This forum actually helped quite a bit with that. It can feel sometimes like you're the only one.

More room for dogs then, isn't it?

Spoken with the confidence that only comes with years of extreme ignorance.

I've never wanted kids but I think it's only been this past year that I've felt comfortable enough that I won't ever want them. This forum actually helped quite a bit with that. It can feel sometimes like you're the only one.

I wouldn't take that post as genuine, I mean it's basically saying "The only way to save your marriage is an unwanted pregnancy and subsequent child". I'm sure unwanted children have saved many a marriage, as apposed to doing the exact opposite!

I wouldn't take that post as genuine, I mean it's basically saying "The only way to save your marriage is an unwanted pregnancy and subsequent child". I'm sure unwanted children have saved many a marriage, as apposed to doing the exact opposite!

There's no saving a marriage if one partner wants children and the other doesn't, particularly if it's the woman who doesn't want children.

These are incompatible outlooks on life and failure to accept that is just lying to yourself or a simple lack of maturity.

There's no saving a marriage if one partner wants children and the other doesn't, particularly if it's the woman who doesn't want children.

These are incompatible outlooks on life and failure to accept that is just lying to yourself or a simple lack of maturity.

I think your original reply was supposed to read "I would leave and have children with someone else".

More room for dogs then, isn't it?

You mean the pseudo children

Your replies in this thread are showing a simple lack of maturity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

New improved *children
    (*may in fact be dogs)

• Advertisement

I think your original reply was supposed to read "I would leave and have children with someone else".

Well that's an assumption on your part and you know they say about assumptions, it's the mother of all . . .

What will happen is the woman will leave as time is a pressing issue for her, the guy will stay but become unfaithful until finally one of the affairs results in a child and then leave.

Well that's an assumption on your part and you know they say about assumptions, it's the mother of all . . .

What will happen is the woman will leave as time is a pressing issue for her, the guy will stay but become unfaithful until finally one of the affairs results in a child and then leave.

You can only speak from a personal perspective, so I safely assume this is yours.

Your replies in this thread are showing a simple lack of maturity.

Why the need to care, provide, give and receive affection and make something dependent on you.

Contrary to your ascertain the mature perspective is acceptance of divergent perspectives and their natural conclusion

What is your malfunction?

You can only speak from a personal perspective, so I safely assume this is yours.

Incorrect, you can have your own opinion but also empirical data which removes bias or personnel agendas, failure to see that or contemplate it is a bigoted viewpoint.

What is your malfunction?

That's a wonderfully constructive response
    I'm flummoxed by it's depth

Why the need to care, provide, give and receive affection and make something dependent on you.

Contrary to your ascertain the mature perspective is acceptance of divergent perspectives and their natural conclusion

"Men will" and "women will" is terribly simplistic and naive. I don't need a divergent perspective on the future of my marriage from a stranger on the internet, who very obviously didn't actually make it the whole way to the end of my post to start with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Swindled

I never wanted kids until I was in my 30's, then something just clicked and I got it / wanted to raise them.

There's a lot of pressure in the media for white/Irish people not to have kids now.

Swindled wrote: »
    I never wanted kids until I was in my 30's, then something just clicked and I got it / wanted to raise them.

There's a lot of pressure in the media for white/Irish people not to have kids now.

This is the Childfree by Choice forum, just in case you missed that at the top!
    Casual racism, oh my!

• Advertisement

That's a wonderfully constructive response
    I'm flummoxed by it's depth

Your confusion is not unexpected, however, I must ask....you come to a board called "Childfree by Choice" and proceed to belittle, insult and insinuate someone who makes such a choice.

What is your objective?

Advertisement