Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd phone not working after switching to Eir

Options
  • 17-06-2021 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

One phone plugs into the router and works but the phone in another room there's no dial tone anymore after switching to Eir.

Given that the phone plugs into the router I'm guessing it might not be possible anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

One phone plugs into the router and works but the phone in another room there's no dial tone anymore after switching to Eir.

Given that the phone plugs into the router I'm guessing it might not be possible anymore.
    The phone socket on the router replaces the phone socket on the wall, as your phone service is now carried over broadband (VOIP). If possible use a couple of Dect cordless phones to extend service to the other room. If your extension is hard wired, you will need to add a splitter and plug the cable in.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Thanks for the reply.

It's hard wired, I assume I have to replace the phone filter with a DSL one, will give it a go tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

If the router is beside the old phone socket you could try connecting the second port on the router to the wall.
    Whether this works or works safely depends a lot on how the place is wired, so consider it a test rather than a solution.
    If the line is still connected there could occasionally be voltage on it.

If the wall socket is a version with a magnet in the case opening it will isolate the incoming line from your house wiring.
    If it's the main socket there is definitely a cable going from it to the other phone, so it should be possible to have both work.
    It might take a few changes, but they shouldn't involve dragging cables through walls.

Advertisement