Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual Virgin Price increase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Everything is a rip off here and we just take it, enough I say.

And the government will tell you inflation is 1-2%!

Our purchasing power is eroded every year. Price fixing, companies charging what they like for inelastic goods, public apathy.... this is a ****ing ****hole of a country it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭CoBo55

corny wrote: »
    And the government will tell you inflation is 1-2%!

Our purchasing power is eroded every year. Price fixing, companies charging what they like for inelastic goods, public apathy.... this is a ****ing ****hole of a country it really is.

God spare us.... somebody is having a bad day:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

bubblypop wrote: »
    I got cork people every time I rang, for years.

Are you mixing up a Cork accent with a Limerick accent :eek::eek: They are based in Roxboro in Limerick city.

How dare you mix us with with those rebels down below.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Price increase of €4. Here we go again.
    Currently paying €40 on 250mb BB.
    Price was going to go up anyway as I was on a 9 month deal so thanks virgin I'm just gonna ring up threaten to leave and get the 9 month offer extended anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

tom1ie wrote: »
    Price increase of €4. Here we go again.
    Currently paying €40 on 250mb BB.
    Price was going to go up anyway as I was on a 9 month deal so thanks virgin I'm just gonna ring up threaten to leave and get the 9 month offer extended anyway!!

Let me know how that goes, I'm in an apartment in Dublin with only Virgin offering "fibre" broadband, so realistically I don't have any other options. I assume they know that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Uk Virgin so slightly diffeent...

Am on their 100Mb fibre in Belfast, minimum TV package. price was to increase to £54 per month. Looked for discount (or parity with the introductory offer in the web £36 for same was I was getting) - no joy, if I increased my service they'd discount that and I'd only be paying £58 a month for the extra channels I didn't want.

Arranged a switch to Vodafone BB with no TV (freeview and streaming would do for us anyway) - £32 for the speed I wanted. Cancelled Virgin - at that stage they offered £38 but I was annoyed with them now so said no...

A few days later I phoned to finalise the cancellation and they offered me £26 per month (for 18months) for my current services.

It pays to play hardball with this shower, but don't be afraid to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

Just got the €4 increase email myself. On 250MB broadband only for last few years, never changed. It's currently at €57.50- set to increase to €61.50.

Any existing customers have any experience of ringing them and getting put on a 12 month contract with the 'online exclusive' of €40 per month (€60 after 12 months) for 250MB? I'm not arsed changing provider at the moment, SIRO isn't in my area either. Happy to just re-negotiate, but wondering if anyone else has had success with this.

Incidentally, it doesn't seem very obvious on the website how one avails of this online offer: https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband/buy-a-broadband-package/

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Craig_David

Has anyone tried signing up as a new customer soon after ending your existing contract ends?
    Virgin say you are eligible to join as a new customer 3 months after ending your last contract... Wondering might I get away with it trying before the 3 months ?

I used to tell them Every year that I was cancelling and getting someone else in the house to sign up as a new customer, they would always give me the new customer rate then.

bubblypop wrote: »
    I used to tell them Every year that I was cancelling and getting someone else in the house to sign up as a new customer, they would always give me the new customer rate then.

This was my plan. I'll give it a go sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I'm out of contract and told them I'm leaving and got no offer, a few days later I called and told them I'm leaving but can you give me a better deal, I accepted a good deal on the third attempt.

Phil.x wrote: »
    I'm out of contract and told them I'm leaving and got no offer, a few days later I called and told them I'm leaving but can you give me a better deal, I accepted a good deal on the third attempt.

What deal did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

I was on a 9 months at €29.50 and 3 months at €59 plan- just started the first of the last 3 months.
    Called to say I was cancelling due to the price increase. Guy asked me was there anything they could do to keep me.
    I said, well - can you match the deal from last year?
    Him: No, no chance... sorry.
    Me: Well, what can you do?
    Him: I can offer you €10 off your bill for 6 months
    Me: No... I could cancel now and have the wife sign up as a new customer at €40 for 12 months, correct?
    Him: Uhm.... I suppose there's nothing to stop you doing that.
    Me: Can you offer me that deal so, save any of that switching around and swapping equipment...
    Him: I can offer you €15 off the bill for 6 months
    Me: Well I know I can get the service for €40 per month in the wifes name...
    Him: Yeah let's cancel your subscription so. Do you want me to cancel it today? It could cut off in the next 15 mins if you do
    Me: No, set it to the end of this billing period please - Thank you
    Him: *Hangs up*

I then got an e-mail saying the cancellation was set for the date I wanted, grand. Still annoyed at how it played out so I'm looking to go elsewhere now. Hoping Vodafone gigabit is available, their online says it is but still no confrimation and I ordered it Monday.

Sync wrote: »
    I was on a 9 months at €29.50 and 3 months at €59 plan- just started the first of the last 3 months.
    Called to say I was cancelling due to the price increase. Guy asked me was there anything they could do to keep me.
    I said, well - can you match the deal from last year?
    Him: No, no chance... sorry.
    Me: Well, what can you do?
    Him: I can offer you €10 off your bill for 6 months
    Me: No... I could cancel now and have the wife sign up as a new customer at €40 for 12 months, correct?
    Him: Uhm.... I suppose there's nothing to stop you doing that.
    Me: Can you offer me that deal so, save any of that switching around and swapping equipment...
    Him: I can offer you €15 off the bill for 6 months
    Me: Well I know I can get the service for €40 per month in the wifes name...
    Him: Yeah let's cancel your subscription so. Do you want me to cancel it today? It could cut off in the next 15 mins if you do
    Me: No, set it to the end of this billing period please - Thank you
    Him: *Hangs up*

I then got an e-mail saying the cancellation was set for the date I wanted, grand. Still annoyed at how it played out so I'm looking to go elsewhere now. Hoping Vodafone gigabit is available, their online says it is but still no confrimation and I ordered it Monday.

Did you try ordering VM in your wife's name?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Did you try ordering VM in your wife's name?

My neighbour went with that and it worked fine, I see the €40 deal is gone now.
    I'm moving to another company, hopefully I don't regret it..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Siro being installed on my road as we speak.

This price increase probably came at a convenient time. Will be cancelling entirely with them to give SIRO a spin.

Father has it two years and swears by it. And considering some offers at the moment of 24 euro. That’s incredible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Open Eir are installing in my development at the moment. Will be looking for 9 months half price with Virgin or I'm gonzo.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Siro being installed on my road as we speak.

This price increase probably came at a convenient time. Will be cancelling entirely with them to give SIRO a spin.

Father has it two years and swears by it. And considering some offers at the moment of 24 euro. That’s incredible.

Don't hold your breath, they're coming and going here for the last 2 years, still no sign of a start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Has anyone competed the online form to cancel. After I fill out the form and hit submit, nothing appears to happen. Sneaky tactics maybe to get you to ring them!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Craig_David

Has anyone competed the online form to cancel. After I fill out the form and hit submit, nothing appears to happen. Sneaky tactics maybe to get you to ring them!

Best to ring them I think.
    I tried to cancel with Eir once by using their online forum. They tried calling me like twice in the space of 2 weeks and didnt leave a number to call back. I missed the first call but picked up the second.. They refused to put through the cancellation using the date I submitted the request via the online forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Don't hold your breath, they're coming and going here for the last 2 years, still no sign of a start date.

Looks done to me, all work finished and they've left, and you can see a load of connector extensions tied off the poles for where it gets run down to houses

TheDoc wrote: »
    Looks done to me, all work finished and they've left, and you can see a load of connector extensions tied off the poles for where it gets run down to houses

Been like that here in Enniscorthy since before covid. There seems to be another push on to finish in the last few weeks, many places getting scheduled power outages in connection with Siro. When you start getting them you're getting closer to the finish line. I spoke to one of the lads on the electrical end of things and he said when they leave it's ready to go, unfortunately the whole area needs to be electrified before they'll open to customers.

Called their loyalty team at (1908) and got a nice chap who offered me €10 off for 9 months, I politely said no, he increased it to €15 off for 9 months which I gladly accepted. I was straight-up about wanting to stick with Virgin if they'd give me something closer to the new customer deal.

I'm broadband only (250MB) which was to increase from €57.50 to €61.50, now at €45 for 9 months and €60 thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Has anyone been offered any new CPE (Router) when on to loyalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

I have just cancelled the 250MB plan with VM. The best they could do for me was an annual 1GB FTTH for €85pm, but halved for the first 6 months. I've been a customer since early NTL days, so extremely long serving.

Currently I pay 63pm for 250 with phone, so as tempting as that was, it can't beat Pure for the same 1GB FTTH with phone for 40pm. Still saving roughly 240pa even after the VM discount...

I do have to say that the service provided by VM is excellent though - just hope Pure follow suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭feargantae

Has anyone tried signing up as a new customer soon after ending your existing contract ends?
    Virgin say you are eligible to join as a new customer 3 months after ending your last contract... Wondering might I get away with it trying before the 3 months ?

I've done this before with them and it worked fine. Just use your name as Gaeilge (or as Béarla!) and it'll work fine. Your DD will still go through with no problems. I'm with VF SIRO now and happy out but that tricks works with anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

feargantae wrote: »
    I've done this before with them and it worked fine. Just use your name as Gaeilge (or as Béarla!) and it'll work fine. Your DD will still go through with no problems. I'm with VF SIRO now and happy out but that tricks works with anyone

Interesting, I must remember this for next time. As far as I know Sky don't allow the same address sign up as a new customer so I'll have to call them to 'cancel' and try get a discount, but I'll definitely keep it in mind for other services.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭feargantae

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Interesting, I must remember this for next time. As far as I know Sky don't allow the same address sign up as a new customer so I'll have to call them to 'cancel' and try get a discount, but I'll definitely keep it in mind for other services.

You could try changing your address a bit with Sky and that'd probably work. Use abbreviations instead of full words. Street -> St, Road -> Rd etc. Or use the full Irish version, or even just change the town name to Gaeilge.

Cancel, wait for service to shut off and sign back up. I see no reason why Sky's system would see anything other than a new address! YMMV of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 robertcruickshank

Virgin media...... Customer service..... Having a laugh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭raxy

you do have another option. You can cancel with virgin & have somebody else sign up as a new customer. The only real option I have is Virgin, when they do this price increase or the contract is up I try to cancel & see what they offer. if they won't match the new customer offer then I cancel & then sign up in my wife's name. Means I have to send back the router & they send out another.

Advertisement