Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enlarged liver

Options
  • 23-05-2021 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,
    My ALT(67.6) and AST(85) levels were high after a routine blood test, so i saw a doctor and he examined my liver size(not sure the name of the test - it was like the one used on pregnant women to view the fetus) and he said it was enlarged. My mom said she suspects it could be since birth. I used to go to the gym for a few years and supplemented my meals with protein powder, that was until 3-4 yrs ago. Apart from that i don't drink(only socially), don't smoke, eat healthy - including lot of fruits,veg, and food rich in fiber, am at good physical shape. I struggle to find a reason on the internet from my lifestyle that could be the cause. I am looking to start with some supplements. Can someone recommend any and provide some guidance on treatment? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Hi,
    My ALT(67.6) and AST(85) levels were high after a routine blood test, so i saw a doctor and he examined my liver size(not sure the name of the test - it was like the one used on pregnant women to view the fetus) and he said it was enlarged. My mom said she suspects it could be since birth. I used to go to the gym for a few years and supplemented my meals with protein powder, that was until 3-4 yrs ago. Apart from that i don't drink(only socially), don't smoke, eat healthy - including lot of fruits,veg, and food rich in fiber, am at good physical shape. I struggle to find a reason on the internet from my lifestyle that could be the cause. I am looking to start with some supplements. Can someone recommend any and provide some guidance on treatment? Thank you in advance.

You need to examine liver with ultra sound and more blood tests etc go to GP for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

markmoto wrote: »
    You need to examine liver with ultra sound and more blood tests etc go to GP for advice.

I'm sure they meant ultra sound when mentioning pregnant women test

• Registered Users Posts: 13 broccoli123

Housefree wrote: »
    I'm sure they meant ultra sound when mentioning pregnant women test
    Yes, thank you. I have the ultrasound pictures from the liver scan. It was nearly a year ago. When the doctor reviewed them with me he said its probably from the protein powder. Told me to cut it off and gave me a subscription for some local supplements. I didn't believe that the supplements will help so didn't do anything, however now i want to do what i can to get the condition under control and not suffer any adverse effects as i get older. Had someone dealt with an enlarged liver(not fatty) and reversed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Yes, thank you. I have the ultrasound pictures from the liver scan. It was nearly a year ago. When the doctor reviewed them with me he said its probably from the protein powder. Told me to cut it off and gave me a subscription for some local supplements. I didn't believe that the supplements will help so didn't do anything, however now i want to do what i can to get the condition under control and not suffer any adverse effects as i get older. Had someone dealt with an enlarged liver(not fatty) and reversed it?

It’s not allowed to give medical advice on boards, so no-one is going to be able to suggest any treatment. If you want to do something why don’t you take the supplements the doctor suggested? Or if you don’t think they will be effective you should go and see a different doctor for a second opinion.

Advertisement