Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with NFC connectivity

Options
  • 11-07-2019 4:53pm

I have a Pixel 3 XL and have been using my leap top up app with no issues for months. I updated the phone* this weekend and this morning it couldn't 'see' my leap card. Normally, you just hold the card to the back of the phone and it launches the app, but no joy. I've an otterbox case so thought this might somehow be the cause so topped up via the ticket machine and waited until lunchtime to see what the issue is.

Took off the case and still can't see the card. Tried my colleague's card and same situation. I opened up the settings and turned NFC off and on again, and this time it launched the LEAP app immediately. Closed the app, tried again and it wouldn't work. Tuned it off/on again and it worked :confused:

It seems like I have to switch NFC connectivity off/on each time I want to use it, which is a bit of a PITA. I tried re-booting in safe mode and it is still an issue, so this should mean it is the phone itself, rather than the app.......correct?

Has anyone encountered any issue like this before or have any idea on how to address it?

*i'm unsure if the update is the cause of this issue or not, as I haven't tried to use the app in about 2 months, just including it here for the sake of clarity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have a Pixel 3 and don't have that problem at all. When you say you updated your phone what do you mean? Was it a routine security update, or did you enroll in the beta program for Android Q?

Just a routine background "there is a software update for your phone......." that started automatically when I was connected to the home wifi.

Edit: Build number = PQ3A.190705.003

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've had problems previously if I simply held the card to the phone and waited for the app to start. If I started up the app first and then presented the card it seemed to work more reliably. Also it's quite sensitive to the position of the card with respect to the NFC antenna in the phone which in the Pixel 3 is roughly where the fingerprint sensor is.

Cheers for the responses so far.

Yeah, I've tried with the app already open and no dice. It's a weird one, it seems as if the act of switching NFC off/on resets something somewhere in the background, which allows the phone to read the card.

I can even take the card away and retry multiple times, if I'm quick enough, and it works no problem. I've just done that 6 or 7 times with no issue. As soon as I stop for 3 or 4 seconds, it stops reading it.

Edit: forgot to mention, I've uninstalled and re-installed the app in case that was the issue, but it is still giving me grief.

Advertisement