Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

market becomes "play store"

Options
  • 07-03-2012 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

As the title says, my android market got upgraded to the Google play store this evening. I'm on an iconia a500 android 3.2.

Anyone else get this yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Got it there about an hour ago too. HTC Desire.

I think its just that the market now sells books, movies and MP3s on top of the usual apps and games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yeh its all in one now, apps, books, music etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Updated, but the shortcut and app listing are still titled "Market"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Technophobe

All updated and good on my Galaxy Nexus

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Updated on my galaxy s, right after I flashed the phone so I thought I broke something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Updated on mine, had to redo the app shortcut on my homescreen as it vanished after the update, and now I'm told there is an update for Angry Birds seasons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Oooh, just got it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I understand the concept, but I think the name is wrong. I acknowledge that google are brining their brand to the forefront on the Android platform, it makes sense for them. I also like the visuals, it is a step far above what we have seen from Google in the past and it quite attractive - although it does remind me of the ITV player. HOWEVER, the name chosen is wrong, IMHO. To me, Google Play implies that it is mainly a games interface of some kind. Although gaming is important, there are many, many, many useful apps that are not games. Play also implies that Google is not interested in the professional market, or the productivity possibilities. Getting an app from "the market" is a lot more user friendly and obvious than getting one from "google play", google has many, many services, many of which come and go at the drop of a hat. Google play sounds like one of these, why they did not choose "Google Market" is unclear. To me "google market" implies that the whole google suite of Apps, services, etc all work in harmony together, in your browser, on your phone, your tablet or via traditional PC programs, even Google Cloud would have been better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

it deleted my market home screen icons and replaced my market icon in the menu with "play".

apart from the ****e new name i wish they would give me fair warning.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Still the old market on my stock Galaxy Nexus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Yeah, just got it a few hours ago (HTC Sensation).

Annoyingly forgettable name, took me a good 3 or 4 minutes to find it combing through my A-Z.

Market was self explanatory. Play Store sounds more like some subcategory for gaming on Android, and the icon/logo now resembles nothing related to a marketplace.

Very poor first impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭squeekyduck

The only thing I do not like about it is the way it does not seperate out the Books from apps. It can be annoying but you get used to the way its just split between games and apps.

I found Google play most annoying on the go on my smartphone but using it in a browser makes it most user friendly. A big screen helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The only thing I do not like about it is the way it does not seperate out the Books from apps. It can be annoying but you get used to the way its just split between games and apps.

When we get the proper Google bookstore it will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

eh, mine is still market on a htc sensation

anyway i can speed the update up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭antocann

still same on xperia play

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

problem on a galaxy s 2 on 3, market app now launches the browser with google play t&c's then onto the market website which prompts a user login before apps are downloaded. then it says your app will be downloaded "soon" but the app never arrives.

what gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

problem on a galaxy s 2 on 3, market app now launches the browser with google play t&c's then onto the market website which prompts a user login before apps are downloaded. then it says your app will be downloaded "soon" but the app never arrives.

what gives?
    Clear app cache perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

The best thing about it is that Google will hopefully change it back soon.
    It's a bizarre move and seems to have a universally ****e reception.
    Maybe they won't, but they have a long history of users as beta testers.
    The negative publicity from this is probably going to backfire more than their previous **** ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

It's still the market on my phone.
    Retro as fuck round here yo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Clear app cache perhaps?

thanks, that did it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Lads, what does your app icon say?

Mine is still market, and when I open it, it still looks the same

Any help?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't understand the name change at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I don't understand the name change at all.

No. 'Market' made perfect sense to me, and now they've moved into video and books they've called it 'Play'!? :rolleyes:

Unless they're concentrating on Shakespeare's dramatic works, 'Play' has no relevance to books.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I think its more to do with the music side of things! As in you can play music. Also, you can play videos, and play with games.

Not until you've bought them and downloaded them though... from the market

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Not until you've bought them and downloaded them though... from the market

I got 3.5.15 version and now updates are coming for games which I bought outside Google play... I bought few games on humble bundle and I am not uble to update them through Google play! It is annoying as they show up as to be updated and don't disappear from top drawer.

Advertisement