Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

118?? which do you use and why?

Options
  • 13-11-2007 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I have no idea what the prices are like but i use 11811 regularly. Mainly due to it being well advertised initially.

Heard radio adds for the first time saying 11890 are40cents cheaper than 11850. But no1 ever tells you their price.

Was planning on checking it out today? But what do you use and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

www.eircomphonebook.ie because it is completely free...

the call charges are well hidden,
    ie, 40c cheaper from an eircom landline in dublin 12 at 3pm on a tuesday when dailled from within an eircom talktime 6000 bundle.

and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭thecleverone

11890 - Supporting another woman in business. Not easy going up against two already established directories, but she did, and made a good success of it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

11890 because my friend did some promotions work for them and told me they were way cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I use 11811 because the jingle is stuck in my head from a few years back. Although, the 11890 one is in there now too, so I may remember it. Damn advertising :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

any others ?

and what are the costs for each one ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I use the original one 11811, because it's the one in my head. I don't care about the price because I only ever call directory inquiries from work. No stupid charges for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't use any of them. I have the web...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's fairly rare, but if needed Ill use 11811... That song "11890, 11890, [change](dont know what word it is)!" is going through my head now.... god damn effects of advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

11850, I used to work for the company behind it unfortunately. Although I didn't do DQ. I have a few friends still there doing the DQ calls. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I rarely use directory enquiries and last time I did there was only 11850 and 11811. I used 11850 only because it wasn't poxy ****ing eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I used 11850 once and they gave me the wrong number. I've used 11811 about twice, when I had no access to a phonebook or the web, which I'd normally use. I've never used 11890 because they're ads annoy the shite out of me, though 11850 are quickly overtaking them in the shitty jingle category so I'll never use them either. I'd rather listen to the Crazy Frog do a duet with the Banana phone of "Love lift us up where we belong", than any of those ad jingles.

Are those prices they quote (40c cheeper and all that crap) based on if you get them to connect you to the number, or just the cost of checking the number? I've always thought it was the former. I've always thought that anyone who'd pay them to connect the call is just lazy or stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

use 11811 but don't let them connect me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I use the phone book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

I use the phone book.

fair play on you for carrying a phone book around with you. Must get awkward on nights out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

11811 because they send a text of the number after the call is done. other services might do that too but i've always used 11811 so the numbers embedded in my mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

11890, becasue of the ad with the chins. In paritcular the accent of the restaurant owner. Bettahh callll e leh vehn ate nihne tehhh

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I find them all pretty useless...

Last time I rang one up I was looking for a taxi.... I called up the number they gave me and it was for a company that makes shelters for taxi ranks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

fair play on you for carrying a phone book around with you. Must get awkward on nights out?

Maybe he keeps it on a Microdot.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Never use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I rang 11811 to get the number of the local primary school. (It wasn't in the phonebook!) They gave me the number and I called it. I got through to the answering machine. The only problem was that it was a primary school in a different area, with a different name, a school where my boyfriend's uncle is principal. Useless woman in 11811 basically gave me a number that I didn't need and that I could have gotten for free. How difficult is it to type in the correct name and area?

That ad with the guy in the restaurant, etc, really really annoys me.

I'll really only call one of those numbers if I'm really stuck, which rarely happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

A word of advice, DO NOT LEAVE THEM CONNECT YOU I used to work for o2 and the amount of calls we used to get from people saying that all their credit was gone and they'd only made one call was amazing and when we checked it was a 5 to 20 minute call to 11811

What happens is : You call 11811 at the time i was with o2 it was 70c a min, you then ask to be put through to the number and they charge you a connection fee of another 70c, then as you are talking to whoever it was you were looking for you are being charged by your service provider for the call they can see you made ie: the full 70c a min. When you consider that this call could have been taken from a bundle if you have one or it could cost you as little as 15c a min if you dialled the number yourself.

Also this is not your net providers fault, the majority of the charge goes to the DQ company and your service provider gets a small percentage for the call going through their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Never had any cause to use any of them, can't understand how there's enough of a market to support one nevermind three service providers. The only number I've got stuck in my head is the 118118 one (from living in england for 3 years), not going to get me far back home.

Oh and I'm sure that back in pre-privatisation days these used to be free from fixed line phones,:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

O2 Directory Assistance
    Eircom National 11811* 75c
    Eircom International 11818* €1.50
    Conduit National 11850* 75c
    Conduit International 11860* €1.50
    Numbers Direct 11890* 50c
    *Minimum one minute duration applies

I'm on o2 so I use 11890 as it's the cheapest of the lot. I dont know if those rates are the same for other networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

I use 11811, if calling from a mobile do 11890 send you a message with the number after you hang up, thats handy with 11811

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

11850 cause it was programmed in to my phone when I got it off Meteor. Similarly used to use 11844 when on eircell before Meteor started; its gone now. If at home I'll use 118.ie or the eircom phonebook online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

i used to use 11811 but their ignorant and i always get mary or margret
    11890 always say thanks and are very helpful + they text the number aswell id prefer them even if they were dearer just because their polite and you dont get that stupid answer machine sayin "would you like to be connected to the number ,sorry i didnt hear that " you still say no and it rings anyway i hate that thing

I rarely use any of them but I used to use 11850 until their revamp which I can't stand so now 11890. I'm one of the "anything but Eircom" bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I walk back in and ask the barman. They usually know the needed numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

11890 will even text you more than one number if you ask for different things unlike 11850 who only text one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I have never called one of these services.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement