Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

htc rooted help

• 22-12-2014 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi all. Just bought a HTC one m8. Getting message that software needs updating. When I do this the update downloads but will not install.
    When phone reboots a program called team winproject comes up . I need to reload the phones stock recovery? How hard is this and what do I watch out for. Anybody know of a good guide to do this. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I assume you bought the phone second hand? Sounds like it was rooted and has a custom rom on it. The "Team Win Project" is TWRP, a custom recovery which overrides the stock.

Is the update one from HTC, or is it from the ROM that came with the phone? Check the "about" screen for the phone under settings - it should tell you what the ROM is.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭!RAY

Thanks for the reply. the android version is 4.4.4. I went into the about section when I hit check for updates the phone downloads but won't install. The phone now every couple of hours ask me if I want to update now or later.yes phone is second hand. There is an app called supersu on the phone which has an area in the settings to unroot. Don't know if this works I think I have to put a stock recovery back on or is it still there ?

On the about screen, look for one of the following words: Viper, Revolution, Maximus or Cyanogenmod (or CM10 / CM11) - let me know if you see any there.

How technical are you? Do you know what ADB and Fastboot are? If not, I think a beginners guide might suit you better (rather than lots of questions back and forth here). Since your phone is rooted (and I assume you have a custom ROM), the easiest solution may be to flash the latest version of the ROM you're using.

Let me know the answer to the first question anyway and we'll take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Mr E wrote: »
    On the about screen, look for one of the following words: Viper, Revolution, Maximus or Cyanogenmod (or CM10 / CM11) - let me know if you see any there.

How technical are you? Do you know what ADB and Fastboot are? If not, I think a beginners guide might suit you better (rather than lots of questions back and forth here). Since your phone is rooted (and I assume you have a custom ROM), the easiest solution may be to flash the latest version of the ROM you're using.

Let me know the answer to the first question anyway and we'll take it from there.

Sounds to me like he's getting updated by a stock OTA and because he's rooted and has a custom recovery it won't install.
    Not sure how to go about deleting twrp from a htc. eith that or get a stock rom that's been modified to be flashed from twrp.

Thanks.
    Sorry don't see any of words. When I go into about what I have is
    Software update
    Tell HTC and error reporting
    Help
    Network
    Phone identity
    Software information
    Legal information.
    Through look for information on the web. I think I have to restore the phones stock recovery and team win removes or disable it.
    Not a teckie never messed with a phone before.
    As for my understanding of the words you mention I felt like homer. Sorry

• Advertisement

From what I have read on the web that sounds spot on. But totally lost about how to do it. I did find a vid on Utube about doing this just there was a lot of thumbs down to the vid. Cheers

OK sounds like you have a regular ROM, but custom recovery. Now we need to find out if your phone is unlocked and S-OFF.

Turn your phone off.
    Turn it on and press volume down at the exact same time.
    You'll be in the bootloader (a screen with lots of text and a menu at the bottom)

Tell us what's on the first 5 lines at the top (up to and including HBOOT version).

To get back to your 'phone', use vol up/down to select "FASTBOOT" (then press power to select)
    Then use vol up/down to select REBOOT (then press power to select)

From top of screen

Unlocked
    M8_PUT SHIP s-on
    HBOOT-3.19.0.0000
    RADIO-1.21.2133147A1.19_2G
    OpenDSP-v46.2.2-00564_M8974_F0.0811
    OS-3.29.161.5
    eMMC-boot 2048MB

At bottom
    Fastboot
    Hboot
    Ramdump
    Reboot
    Reboot fastboot
    Power down

Cool. OK, this seems to be a good guide:

I'll be online until about 11:30 tonight if you have any questions.

No need to put TWRP back on afterwards if you don't want to...

The update won't be an AT&T update for you - there will be a regular link to check for updates.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that have to head out so try it tomorrow. Ill keep you posted.

Hi MR E
    Sorry to bother you in the middle of stock recovery.
    problem i have down loaded the stock recovery but it wont open it is a img file.
    i have tried to run as administer but get error " windows cannot access the specified device ,path, or file.you may not have the appropriate permission to access the item" I clicking run as administrator but no luck. can i just change the file extension?

Hi Ray

You don't open the image file. You have to flash it using fastboot.

Video above, check about 5m 55s (assuming you've done everything up to that point)

Please be careful - if you flash the wrong file, you can screw up your phone. Watch the video and follow it step by step. No shortcuts.

I downloaded the stock recovery file. copied it to my fastboot folder. On the command window I typed in fastboot flash recovery "pasted file in here with img extension" press enter got error file not supported. Through the command window I rebooted the phone just in case but noluck. The stock recovery file I copied from the web site , I got the phone cid which was vodopop1 or something can't remember anyway there was 5 cids together I picked the first as my cid was the first on the line. Hope this makes sence. Everything seamed straight forward as the vid was good. Cheers Ray
    Hi Ray

You don't open the image file. You have to flash it using fastboot.

Video above, check about 5m 55s (assuming you've done everything up to that point)

Please be careful - if you flash the wrong file, you can screw up your phone. Watch the video and follow it step by step. No shortcuts.

Sounds like you're doing everything OK, so. Did you unzip the recovery first? Are you sure you aren't doubling up on the IMG extension? For example:

fastboot flash recovery "vodarecoveryfile.zip.img"
    fastboot flash recovery "vodarecoveryfile.img.img"

Might be stupid questions, but I have to check. :)

I checked that. I did have "img.exe." so I removed the exe. I am in work at the mi be home around 1 so I'll delete everything and start again. I must have done something wrong.
    Sounds like you're doing everything OK, so. Did you unzip the recovery first? Are you sure you aren't doubling up on the IMG extension? For example:

fastboot flash recovery "vodarecoveryfile.zip.img"
    fastboot flash recovery "vodarecoveryfile.img.img"

Might be stupid questions, but I have to check. :)

It shouldn't have a .exe extension. When you get home, let me know the exact link for the recovery you used and I'll download it to see what it looks like...

Thanks.
    It shouldn't have a .exe extension. When you get home, let me know the exact link for the recovery you used and I'll download it to see what it looks like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Is the stock RUU not self contained and will it not do it all itself?

Even if he is S-On?

ok tried it again the stock recovery will not extract the symbol is like a open box with a disk in front of it, hope this makes sence. have tried the same as extracting the fast boot. getting error when i tried with comand window error can not load 'stock recovery 2.22.161.6.img' CID IS CID VODAP001.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Have you tried downloading and installing the RUU as suggested by Fieldog. It got me out of a hole in the past.

!RAY wrote: »
    ok tried it again the stock recovery will not extract the symbol is like a open box with a disk in front of it, hope this makes sence. have tried the same as extracting the fast boot. getting error when i tried with comand window error can not load 'stock recovery 2.22.161.6.img' CID IS CID VODAP001.

Are you Vodafone?

Looks like your using a Vodafone one, is there a generic unbranded Euro firmware you can try?

Yes the phone was on Vodafone
    Any idea where I would start looking for the unbranded euro filmware. Is that the stock recovery?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Are you
    Looks like your using a Vodafone one, is there a generic unbranded Euro firmware you can try?

Sorry what is the ruu I just followed the vid on Utube Mr e put up for me .Not on Vodafone any more.
    tallus wrote: »
    Have you tried downloading and installing the RUU as suggested by Fieldog. It got me out of a hole in the past.

Sorry what is the ruu I just followed the vid on Utube Mr e put up for me .Not on Vodafone any more.

Sorry for the delay, RUU = Rom Update Utility.

It's a single file you can download and install using windows without having to boot in to recovery etc. I'm not 100% sure if it's available for the One M8. Its an easier way of getting the device back to stock.
    Edit.. http://www.htcdev.com/devcenter/downloads/P30

World wide English ruu is on that link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I think that link just contains the source code rather than flashable roms, tallus.

To !RAY:

I'd say the reason the OTA is failing would almost certainly be that it could not find the HTC recovery. A recovery is a part of an Android device's software that is a separate mode from the normal system which you use everyday on your phone. It is mainly used for updating, repairing or modifying the other parts of the system, whether that be official over-the-air updates from the manufacturer, or mods and roms from unofficial sources in the Android developer community. TWRP is a custom recovery from such a source, which, among other things is used for installing the files that are used to root the phone. That is probably why previous owner installed that recovery.

My suggested procedure:

STEP 1: Download and install HTC Sync manager so that you have the necessary drivers for your M8 on your PC.
    Get it at http://www.htc.com/ie/support/software/htc-sync-manager.aspx
    (You have to tick the "I accept" thing at the bottom to download it.

STEP 2: Download the "stock" recovery image for your M8 from: http://d-h.st/V5x
    [Edit] For those unfamiliar with devhost website, remove the tick where it say "Download with Dev-Host Download Manager" and use the "Download Now" button not the one that only says Download.
    332799.jpg
    (We will be using this to replace the TWRP recovery that the previous owner installed.)
    This is the one required, based on the info you posted earlier in thread.
    This file is not zipped, so leave it as it is for now.

STEP 3: Download the ADB and FASTBOOT files from: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95747613655040759
    (Don't worry that it says Nexus 5 in the linked page, these are not device specific.)

Unzip these to your C: drive into a folder called ADB
    Now also move the recovery image file from step 2 into this folder. Rename it to something shorter like M8.img (Make sure you don't accidentally rename it as M8.img.img)

STEP 4: With your M8 powered on, go into settings and look for "Developer Options". Inside Developer Options make sure that "USB Debugging" is turned on/ticked. More than likely since the previous owner rooted the phone it already has USB debugging turned on, but just make sure anyway.

Also go go to Settings > Battery Manager and make sure "Fast Boot" is unticked, as this can interfere with some of the stuff you need to do. (Note: This is a different thing to FASTBOOT (all one word) , "Fast Boot" is a bit of software trickery HTC put in their devices that allow the phone to go into sleep mode rather than a full shutdown when you power off the device. The nearest comparison I can think of is putting a Windows PC to sleep. HTC's purpose in doing so is that the phone will boot up much faster when you power back on than from a completely cold start, hence: "fast boot".)

STEP 5: Open a Command Prompt (the black window with white writing that looks like an old DOS computer from the 80's). If you can't easily find it on your PC Start Menu then type "cmd" (without the ") into a search box.

STEP 6: In the command prompt type "cd c:\ADB"
    Then type "dir". If the list of files shows adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll, AdbWinUsbApi.dll, fastboot.exe and M8.img then you are in the right place now!
    332804.jpg

STEP 7: Plug in the HTC M8 to your pc. Give the pc a moment to react. Your phone will probably show up on the folders in Windows when it's ready.

STEP 8: Back in the command prompt type "adb devices"
    If all is well, it will give a serial number of some sort, probably something like HTCxxxxxx
    If you got the serial as response, now type "adb reboot bootloader"
    The phone should reboot into the bootloader that you posted info from earlier in the thread.
    Give the PC a few moments to react to this as it may take a short while installing drivers for this mode etc.
    If all goes well and the PC has installed drivers continue on.

STEP 9: With the phone in bootloader mode type in command prompt "fastboot devices".
    Again you should get some kinda serial number as a response.
    If you got the serial response you are now ready for the critical step that will restore the factory recovery.

STEP 10: Type "fastboot flash recovery M8.img"
    This should not take very long at all and once it says it is finished you can type this to restart your phone : "fastboot reboot"
    or
    you can use the volume keys and power button on the phone to reboot from the Bootloader menu.

STEP 11: If all has gone correctly you should now have the stock HTC recovery and it should be possible to successfully install the OTA update.

I think the OTA that you've been trying to install may be one related to the "Eye" camera software update more than any major change.

There is a possibility that further down the line when the Lollipop update arrives in the weeks or months ahead the fact that you are rooted may complicate things as I think Lollipop updates also check the /system partition for modifications and refuse to proceed if it finds stuff like superuser files. At least that is how it has been on the Nexus devices anyway. It would basically be a similar procedure to what I have gone through here, but using the much larger stock system.img instead of the stock recovery.img
    But sure that bridge can be crossed if/when it crops up.

I hope that my step by step has succeeded and been of help to you !RAY
    Have a happy Christmas!

Excellent post duridian

Great job, duridian. :)

Great job, duridian. :)

Best "plain English" explanation of how to get back to stock I've ever seen, quality post Duridian....

• Advertisement

Ill give that a try. Thanks for taking the time. Happy xmass.
    tallus wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay, RUU = Rom Update Utility.

It's a single file you can download and install using windows without having to boot in to recovery etc. I'm not 100% sure if it's available for the One M8. Its an easier way of getting the device back to stock.
    Edit.. http://www.htcdev.com/devcenter/downloads/P30

World wide English ruu is on that link.

Hi duridian. Thanks for the reply . I asked Santa for android for dummies this xmass but no look. Have a good one happy xmass.
    duridian wrote: »
    I think that link just contains the source code rather than flashable roms, tallus.

To !RAY:

I'd say the reason the OTA is failing would almost certainly be that it could not find the HTC recovery. A recovery is a part of an Android device's software that is a separate mode from the normal system which you use everyday on your phone. It is mainly used for updating, repairing or modifying the other parts of the system, whether that be official over-the-air updates from the manufacturer, or mods and roms from unofficial sources in the Android developer community. TWRP is a custom recovery from such a source, which, among other things is used for installing the files that are used to root the phone. That is probably why previous owner installed that recovery.

My suggested procedure:

STEP 1: Download and install HTC Sync manager so that you have the necessary drivers for your M8 on your PC.
    Get it at http://www.htc.com/ie/support/software/htc-sync-manager.aspx
    (You have to tick the "I accept" thing at the bottom to download it.

STEP 2: Download the "stock" recovery image for your M8 from: http://d-h.st/V5x
    (We will be using this to replace the TWRP recovery that the previous owner installed.)
    This is the one required, based on the info you posted earlier in thread.
    This file is not zipped, so leave it as it is for now.

STEP 3: Download the ADB and FASTBOOT files from: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95747613655040759
    (Don't worry that it says Nexus 5 in the linked page, these are not device specific.)

Unzip these to your C: drive into a folder called ADB
    Now also move the recovery image file from step 2 into this folder. Rename it to something shorter like M8.img (Make sure you don't accidentally rename it as M8.img.img)

STEP 4: With your M8 powered on, go into settings and look for "Developer Options". Inside Developer Options make sure that "USB Debugging" is turned on/ticked. More than likely since the previous owner rooted the phone it already has USB debugging turned on, but just make sure anyway.

Also go go to Settings > Battery Manager and make sure "Fast Boot" is unticked, as this can interfere with some of the stuff you need to do. (Note: This is a different thing to FASTBOOT (all one word) , "Fast Boot" is a bit of software trickery HTC put in their devices that allow the phone to go into sleep mode rather than a full shutdown when you power off the device. The nearest comparison I can think of is putting a Windows PC to sleep. HTC's purpose in doing so is that the phone will boot up much faster when you power back on than from a completely cold start, hence: "fast boot".)

STEP 5: Open a Command Prompt (the black window with white writing that looks like an old DOS computer from the 80's). If you can't easily find it on your PC Start Menu then type "cmd" (without the ") into a search box.

STEP 6: In the command prompt type "cd c:\ADB"
    Then type "dir". If the list of files shows adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll, AdbWinUsbApi.dll, fastboot.exe and M8.img then you are in the right place now!

STEP 7: Plug in the HTC M8 to your pc. Give the pc a moment to react. Your phone will probably show up on the folders in Windows when it's ready.

STEP 8: Back in the command prompt type "adb devices"
    If all is well, it will give a serial number of some sort, probably something like HTCxxxxxx
    If you got the serial as response, now type "adb reboot bootloader"
    The phone should reboot into the bootloader that you posted info from earlier in the thread.
    Give the PC a few moments to react to this as it may take a short while installing drivers for this mode etc.
    If all goes well and the PC has installed drivers continue on.

STEP 9: With the phone in bootloader mode type in command prompt "fastboot devices".
    Again you should get some kinda serial number as a response.
    If you got the serial response you are now ready for the critical step that will restore the factory recovery.

STEP 10: Type "fastboot flash recovery M8.img"
    This should not take very long at all and once it says it is finished you can type this to restart your phone : "fastboot reboot"
    or
    you can use the volume keys and power button on the phone to reboot from the Bootloader menu.

STEP 11: If all has gone correctly you should now have the stock HTC recovery and it should be possible to successfully install the OTA update.

I think the OTA that you've been trying to install may be one related to the "Eye" camera software update more than any major change.

There is a possibility that further down the line when the Lollipop update arrives in the weeks or months ahead the fact that you are rooted may complicate things as I think Lollipop updates also check the /system partition for modifications and refuse to proceed if it finds stuff like superuser files. At least that is how it has been on the Nexus devices anyway. It would basically be a similar procedure to what I have gone through here, but using the much larger stock system.img instead of the stock recovery.img
    But sure that bridge can be crossed if/when it crops up.

I hope that my step by step has succeeded and been of help to you !RAY
    Have a happy Christmas!

Pics of my file and command window. I ran the sync manager and my phone comes up on it. I deleted everything and tryed again same story. Sorry for this

In your command window, there is another ADB folder. From where you were in the third screenshot, type:

cd adb

Your prompt should look like this when you're done:

c:\adb\adb>

Pics of my file and command window. I ran the sync manager and my phone comes up on it. I deleted everything and tryed again same story. Sorry for this

This is what I got .Thanks.

• Advertisement

This is what I got .Thanks.
    That's good. You have all the needed files in the same place and phone is responding to adb commands.

In a normal window rename the recovery image file from that long name with the 3.29 etc to something shorter like M8.img (having spaces in a file name makes things more complicated when you are using command prompt)

Then go back to the command prompt and continue on to the part where you do "adb reboot" and hopefully the "fastboot" stuff will also work.

Everything went great down to step 10.here is a pic when I entered step 10. The phone was in recovery mode.I then rebooted the phone but keeps going into team win. Can't understand. Why it wont recogonize the m8 file.it does state that it is a disk image file see pic 2.

Everything went great down to step 10.here is a pic when I entered step 10. The phone was in recovery mode.

Is that file in the folder? Show us a directory listing...

Here goes

Directory

• Advertisement

Which is the most up to date screenshot? They both show different IMG file names.... Make sure the file is called M8.img

M8.img properties.
    the file is M8.img

Download the recovery again. Could be a corrupt download?

I did that , at step 8 I got the response of the serial number. At the reboot boot loader the phone went into recovery mode. At step 9 I got the serial number again so everything cool so far.but step 10 won't work see pic. Should it be an img file. Sorry about this I am sure it's something simple

I did some googling, and you're doing everything OK. I assume you downloaded a file with extension ".img" from duridian's post (not the exe file)

One thing I've seen come up a few times (with people who had the same issue) is to make sure you are using the original USB cable you got with the phone. I wonder if you have got the original USB cable with your phone? Do you have any other micro USB cables that you can try out?

Thanks I was using a s5 cable I'll try it now with the HTC one. Cheers

Just tried that still the same error cannot load 'M8.img' . Does the was 'M8.img' come up on the cmd window. I have been checking Google but getting a lot of crap.
    Is the bootloader ok. i can do a factory reset in recovery mode would this help?

Ok i deleted everything. when i renamed the stock recovery i deleted the name and typed M8.img. However in the cmd win i noticed M8.img.img. i know this was mentioned to me but in my folder it just came up M8.img even when i went into properties. It worked when i changed this. Sorry i took so long to get this sorted. Thanks to Mr E and duridian and everybody else happy xmass a the coolest new year. I can finely set my phone up.
    cheers

Thanks I was using a s5 cable I'll try it now with the HTC one. Cheers

Just tried that still the same error cannot load 'M8.img' . Does the was 'M8.img' come up on the cmd window. I have been checking Google but getting a lot of crap.
    Is the bootloader ok. i can do a factory reset in recovery mode would this help?

Ok i deleted everything. when i renamed the stock recovery i deleted the name and typed M8.img. However in the cmd win i noticed M8.img.img. i know this was mentioned to me but in my folder it just came up M8.img even when i went into properties. It worked when i changed this. Sorry i took so long to get this sorted. Thanks to Mr E and duridian and everybody else happy xmass a the coolest new year. I can finely set my phone up.
    cheers

Good stuff !RAY. Glad you got sorted! Enjoy your phone, and best of luck with it. Have a great xmas and new year!

will do and thanks very much sorry about been a pain.
    cheers

Well done, Ray!

Another great example of boardsies pulling together to solve a problem.

Happy new year to all. :)

thanks for your help. have a good one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement