Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data protection - name from mobile number?

Options
  • 15-06-2019 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭

Phoned a complete stranger about an item for sale ( electronic) a few days ago, seller came across odd throughout the conversation, I asked a number of questions about the item and towards the end I said I would think about it for a day, to my shock, the seller revealed that they knew my name from the mobile I called them on, they revealed this as follows

"OK Joe bloggs, get back to me whenever"

Is there some sort of app that links Facebook etc with phone numbers, I was so taken aback, I didn't ask them their name, this person was a 100 km away

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

if you type the number into face book search bar you can see the account connected to it,
    im sure theres a setting to cancel this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

It's because your name is Joe Bloggs. It's a very common name, just like Anthony Nigel Other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

If you're on WhatsApp anyone else on WhatsApp can see your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

There's an app called Truecaller that will display the name of the caller if another Truecaller user has uploaded your name and number from their contact list.

I have no idea how this is allowed with GDPR. You havent given your consent for your name to be shared with random third parties.

I don't know that it's this app they used but it's an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Generally it would depend on whether your name and phone number are publicilly available in one of the social apps/WhatsApp or on a website somewhhere and the ability of the person you are calling to look these up during a call - which they may be able to do.
    What'sapp, FB, Linked in etc, all generally have security options to hide you phone number and/or only allow contacts/people in your contacts list to view it.
    You would also be shocked at the amount of peopl that put their mobile numbers on publicilly accessible sites (donedeal and others)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There's an app called Truecaller that will display the name of the caller if another Truecaller user has uploaded your name and number from their contact list.

I have no idea how this is allowed with GDPR. You havent given your consent for your name to be shared with random third parties.

I don't know that it's this app they used but it's an example.
    Well, this would depend on the ins and outs of the app. If your name and phone number I'd available in public it is available to one and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

If you put your number on Facebook or one of its products then it’s fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭pummice

blackbox wrote: »

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

pummice wrote: »
    How?

It's easy, if I get a strange text or call and think it's suspicious, I can add their phone number say call them oddballno into my phone book, then turn on airplane mode then turn it off, so the phone register's any changes...

Go into my wattsapp contact's, look up oddballno hey presto... their wattsapp photo and name pop's up its easy

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

kippy wrote: »
    Well, this would depend on the ins and outs of the app. If your name and phone number I'd available in public it is available to one and all.

It uploads from people's contact lists. So even if your number is unlisted it'll be available in the app for anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm betting you have a Samsung phone. Its called smart call.

https://www.samsung.com/ie/apps/smart-call/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

If you have the option turned on with a Samsung phone, it will link your name (and Contact list too I think), to a Samsung server which is then shared to anyone else with a Samsung phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

blackbox wrote: »

Thanks, I'm pretty dumb when it comes to tech :eek:

Didn't know any of this stuff

kippy wrote: »
    Generally it would depend on whether your name and phone number are publicilly available in one of the social apps/WhatsApp or on a website somewhhere and the ability of the person you are calling to look these up during a call - which they may be able to do.
    What'sapp, FB, Linked in etc, all generally have security options to hide you phone number and/or only allow contacts/people in your contacts list to view it.
    You would also be shocked at the amount of peopl that put their mobile numbers on publicilly accessible sites (donedeal and others)

My number is on done deal on a regular basis

OK MOD, appears there is no great mystery here

Thanks for the replies, il be more aware in future when I'm giving back chat to idiots on done deal offering me 500 quid for a merc

Advertisement