Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT number or not?

Options
  • 12-06-2019 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I am working a a full-time employee with a salary of around 30k per annum.

Now I thought about becoming a freelancer and earning some money with being creative.

I've got in touch with a company in Germany which would offer me jobs on a regular base. They sound legit and the kind of jobs would fit in what I'd like to do.

But as requirement, they asked me to provide a VAT number (Umsatzsteuer-ID). The system in Germany is, that you instantly need a VAT number as soon as you earn a single Euro on a contractor basis and need to declare yourself as self-employed.

I have checked with the revenue website and it seems that in Ireland you can earn up to 30k on a self-employed base without VAT no.

Would my normal salary be accounted into that amount? And if I get a VAT number as the German company is adamant that I need one, do I need to give that to my current employer as well? Will my PAYE status change?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭nompere

If you supply services of less than €37,500 per annum you do not have to register for VAT, but you may choose to be registered. As your client in Germany is insisting on you being registered this is what you will have to do.

Your salary is not taken into account in determiming whether you must be registered - it is solely your freelance earnings.

Your employer has no need to know whether or not you have a VAT registration for freelance earnings. Your salary will continiue to be taxed under PAYE.

Advertisement