Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park tunnel: 4 trains per hour from 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

Do many people even know it exists? I didn't.
    Ask any gricer, now it's been there for years, let the punters get the bike, the tram or the bus and leave the Tunnel route for the freight, a direct route to Dublin Port, I don't think it will work for commuters.
    Regards
    h.gricer

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

Just out of the tunnel on Friday 10th April 2015

Anyone know when this service is due to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Next year - the ongoing city centre re-signalling project has to be completed first (that's due to finish next Spring).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Mid/late 2016, a €16 million project is commencing shortly to upgrade the line and signlas between Glasnevin-Heuston which is seperate to the CCRP.

GM228

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

GM228 wrote: »
    Mid/late 2016, a €16 million project is commencing shortly to upgrade the line and signlas between Glasnevin-Heuston which is seperate to the CCRP.

GM228

Any plans to link the Drumcondra bypass to the tunnel, it is possible and really is needed to have an efficient and reliable service. This suspending services via Deumcondra won't wash and shouldn't be tolerated.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Any plans to link the Drumcondra bypass to the tunnel, it is possible and really is needed to have an efficient and reliable service. This suspending services via Deumcondra won't wash and shouldn't be tolerated.

No there are no plans at present to link the lines. And yes it is very possible to do it, in fact the junction was laid out that way until 1921.

GM228

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

For whatever reason passengers don't seem keen on using that platform. They have ran services from it and in my experience a handful will use it while the majority will wait for normal services.

Believe it see regular use on Sundays

Then they are buck eejits. As a former Hazelhatch to Heuston commuter it was damn useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Ask any gricer, now it's been there for years, let the punters get the bike, the tram or the bus and leave the Tunnel route for the freight, a direct route to Dublin Port, I don't think it will work for commuters.
    Regards
    h.gricer

what freight , IE has all but abandoned freight. the tunnel is unused and is a resource that can be utilised for little cost. I see it will add to IEs passenger train paths and that can only be a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Regards
    h.gricer

what freight , IE has all but abandoned freight. the tunnel is unused and is a resource that can be utilised for little cost. I see it will add to IEs passenger train paths and that can only be a good thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

the tunnel is most definitely not unused

• Registered Users Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There is a daily return IWT container working between North Wall and Ballina (twice daily once a week), and there are daily stock transfers between Heuston and Connolly.

But plenty of scope for increased use once the city centre re-signalling project is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭trellheim

as someone who lives next the line it most definitely is not unused

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

You mean connecting the tunnel with Docklands? Where no-one wants to go and missing the Drumcondra - Connolly - Tara - Pearse - GCD catchment? Or do you mean by-passing Drumcondra and using the Newcommen Curve? Neither makes sense or is a good business case. Connecting the tunnel to by-pass is unnecessary and will only add to the cost. Trains from the tunnel would have to cross both in-bound and out-bound Maynooth services at Liffey Junction to reach the by-pass line while via Drumcondra would only have to synchronise with inbound trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

kc56 wrote: »
    You mean connecting the tunnel with Docklands? Where no-one wants to go and missing the Drumcondra - Connolly - Tara - Pearse - GCD catchment? Or do you mean by-passing Drumcondra and using the Newcommen Curve? Neither makes sense or is a good business case. Connecting the tunnel to by-pass is unnecessary and will only add to the cost. Trains from the tunnel would have to cross both in-bound and out-bound Maynooth services at Liffey Junction to reach the by-pass line while via Drumcondra would only have to synchronise with inbound trains.

it would open up more options so it makes sense and is a good business case. no reason for it not to happen.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Docklands currently takes three packed to uncomfortable standing trains every morning off the Dunboyne line with few realising that you can transfer to it from Maynooth. I suspect an arriving before 9 service from hazelhatch might do OK

it would open up more options so it makes sense and is a good business case. no reason for it not to happen.

The big reason it won't happen is cost, major trackwork, resignalling and earth stabilisation works would be required which would add another €1 or €2 million onto the projects price tag, it's only real purpose would be to provide an alternative route in case of failures like the line is used for from time to time.

It is not financially viable!

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it would be if the will was there, which it isn't. but never mind. it won't effect me either way. i just hope there will be a plan in place that can get around any issues with drumcondra such as it being blocked for whatever reason. after all, we actually want people to continue using the service

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I get very confused ab out the routes available....an idiots guide would be hndy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I get very confused ab out the routes available....an idiots guide would be hndy

A very basic guide to Glasnevin Junction and the available routes.

358500.jpg

• Advertisement

A very basic guide to Glasnevin Junction and the available routes.

358500.jpg

Simple but effective!

As can be seen it's not possible to go to Docklands or avoid Drumcondra when going through the tunnel.

GM228

GM228 wrote: »
    The big reason it won't happen is cost, major trackwork, resignalling and earth stabilisation works would be required which would add another €1 or €2 million onto the projects price tag, it's only real purpose would be to provide an alternative route in case of failures like the line is used for from time to time.

It is not financially viable!

GM228

At least 2 cross-overs on the PPT and Docklands tracks, 2 diamond crossings to cross the Maynooth tracks which are on a curve, plus signalling etc. I'd say 1-2 million probably wouldn't cover that.
    I'm assuming a single track crossing over due to the very tight space available and even at that there would be sharp curves and low speeds.
    Won't happen as GM228 says.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

Thanks for the diagram. What causes the confusion for me is that Heuston APPEARS to be north of Sligo and Docklands APPEARS south of Connolly when you look at the junction but of course they both cross over/ under each other later. For us country lads who have no lines crossing over /under each other its very confusing altogether.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

At least 2 cross-overs on the PPT and Docklands tracks, 2 diamond crossings to cross the Maynooth tracks which are on a curve, plus signalling etc. I'd say 1-2 million probably wouldn't cover that.
    I'm assuming a single track crossing over due to the very tight space available and even at that there would be sharp curves and low speeds.
    Won't happen as GM228 says.

Quote was 30 million back in 2010...

Quote was 30 million back in 2010...

Hence, no business case. QED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Hence, no business case. QED

Well we should stop building the M18 immediately then on that basis, unless it's cost can be recouped on realistic tolls that reflect the cost of building it.

QED.

Thus highlighting the differences between road and rail infrastructure financing, rail has to show a profit roads don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

Mention of..........google. N17 BLAST on you tube to see what 4 times irish rails annual subsidy can buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭trellheim

OK here's a thing. Might there be merit in an Luas/PPT interchange station to take some load off connolly ... see map link https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3681198,-6.2863252,764m/data=!3m1!1e3

in the pic the luas will cross above the PPT

( now that I think of it - same thing for the maynooth line if you built the PPT stop between the luas and the maynooth line ... you might be onto something ) .... crayons I know but a triple interchange might not be a bad thing ( discounting canal of course but its not the busiest passenger link ).

Downsides apart from engineering is its on foot hard to get to and broombridge will do 2 of the links out of the box. PPT to Luas sounds good through.

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    OK here's a thing. Might there be merit in an Luas/PPT interchange station to take some load off connolly ... see map link https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3681198,-6.2863252,764m/data=!3m1!1e3

in the pic the luas will cross above the PPT

( now that I think of it - same thing for the maynooth line if you built the PPT stop between the luas and the maynooth line ... you might be onto something ) .... crayons I know but a triple interchange might not be a bad thing ( discounting canal of course but its not the busiest passenger link ).

Downsides apart from engineering is its on foot hard to get to and broombridge will do 2 of the links out of the box. PPT to Luas sounds good through.

There will be a Luas/Maynooth line interchange at Broombridge. Building a PPT/Luas interchange would be very expensive if not impossible; the curved track of the PPT at that point rules out a station.

Advertisement