Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phoenix Park tunnel: 4 trains per hour from 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

A very basic guide to Glasnevin Junction and the available routes.

358500.jpg

Simple but effective!

As can be seen it's not possible to go to Docklands or avoid Drumcondra when going through the tunnel.

GM228

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kc56

GM228 wrote: »
    The big reason it won't happen is cost, major trackwork, resignalling and earth stabilisation works would be required which would add another €1 or €2 million onto the projects price tag, it's only real purpose would be to provide an alternative route in case of failures like the line is used for from time to time.

It is not financially viable!

GM228

At least 2 cross-overs on the PPT and Docklands tracks, 2 diamond crossings to cross the Maynooth tracks which are on a curve, plus signalling etc. I'd say 1-2 million probably wouldn't cover that.
    I'm assuming a single track crossing over due to the very tight space available and even at that there would be sharp curves and low speeds.
    Won't happen as GM228 says.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

Thanks for the diagram. What causes the confusion for me is that Heuston APPEARS to be north of Sligo and Docklands APPEARS south of Connolly when you look at the junction but of course they both cross over/ under each other later. For us country lads who have no lines crossing over /under each other its very confusing altogether.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

kc56 wrote: »
    At least 2 cross-overs on the PPT and Docklands tracks, 2 diamond crossings to cross the Maynooth tracks which are on a curve, plus signalling etc. I'd say 1-2 million probably wouldn't cover that.
    I'm assuming a single track crossing over due to the very tight space available and even at that there would be sharp curves and low speeds.
    Won't happen as GM228 says.

Quote was 30 million back in 2010...

Quote was 30 million back in 2010...

Hence, no business case. QED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Hence, no business case. QED

Well we should stop building the M18 immediately then on that basis, unless it's cost can be recouped on realistic tolls that reflect the cost of building it.

QED.

Thus highlighting the differences between road and rail infrastructure financing, rail has to show a profit roads don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

Mention of..........google. N17 BLAST on you tube to see what 4 times irish rails annual subsidy can buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

OK here's a thing. Might there be merit in an Luas/PPT interchange station to take some load off connolly ... see map link https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3681198,-6.2863252,764m/data=!3m1!1e3

in the pic the luas will cross above the PPT

( now that I think of it - same thing for the maynooth line if you built the PPT stop between the luas and the maynooth line ... you might be onto something ) .... crayons I know but a triple interchange might not be a bad thing ( discounting canal of course but its not the busiest passenger link ).

Downsides apart from engineering is its on foot hard to get to and broombridge will do 2 of the links out of the box. PPT to Luas sounds good through.

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    OK here's a thing. Might there be merit in an Luas/PPT interchange station to take some load off connolly ... see map link https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3681198,-6.2863252,764m/data=!3m1!1e3

in the pic the luas will cross above the PPT

( now that I think of it - same thing for the maynooth line if you built the PPT stop between the luas and the maynooth line ... you might be onto something ) .... crayons I know but a triple interchange might not be a bad thing ( discounting canal of course but its not the busiest passenger link ).

Downsides apart from engineering is its on foot hard to get to and broombridge will do 2 of the links out of the box. PPT to Luas sounds good through.

There will be a Luas/Maynooth line interchange at Broombridge. Building a PPT/Luas interchange would be very expensive if not impossible; the curved track of the PPT at that point rules out a station.

There is about 250m of straight line on the PPT track at that point ? if it was built in the right place. As I said above yes there will be Luas/Maynooth line interchange - it was PPT/LUAS I was after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

so what happens when drumcondra goes down seeing as there is no "business case" to have an alternative back up route, specially as its hoped the proposed commuter routes will be busy?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

so what happens when drumcondra goes down seeing as there is no "business case" to have an alternative back up route, specially as its hoped the proposed commuter routes will be busy?

Won't be that busy - 4 trains during the peak which translates to 2 per hour and hourly after that. If Drumcondra get blocks, trains could divert to Heuston with its Luas/bus connections. Inconvenient but a lot cheaper providing the alternative route. There are no alternatives at present for all of the DART so why spend 30m for a low frequency service?

In general terms, given that the bulk of commuters on the Heuston side travel from father afield than Hazelhatch, a Hazelhatch-PPT service might not be all that busy. Having to change at Hazelhatch might put a lot of people off unless that service is quicker.

Won't be that busy - 4 trains during the peak which translates to 2 per hour and hourly after that. If Drumcondra get blocks, trains could divert to Heuston with its Luas/bus connections. Inconvenient but a lot cheaper providing the alternative route. There are no alternatives at present for all of the DART so why spend 30m for a low frequency service?

In general terms, given that the bulk of commuters on the Heuston side travel from father afield than Hazelhatch, a Hazelhatch-PPT service might not be all that busy. Having to change at Hazelhatch might put a lot of people off unless that service is quicker.
    Best place to change would be Park West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Cannot see services direct to Kildare will require 5-6+ minutes padding on the KRP section. There will have to be some sort of change from services from Connolly or Heuston heading to Portlaoise unless they decide to join units together en route.

Interesting thing will be if a service from GCD will be more appealing to passengers than lets say a non stop IC service out of Heuston.

There could be scope for GCD-Nass-Portlaoise and exclude KRP stops.

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    There is about 250m of straight line on the PPT track at that point ? if it was built in the right place. As I said above yes there will be Luas/Maynooth line interchange - it was PPT/LUAS I was after.

Yes but the PPT runs under the Luas, Royal Canal and Maynooth lines; lots of expensive engineering (and disruption) to construct a station!

Not sure what the point would be given that Heuston is well connected with the Luas and anyone wanting the Luas could to there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Best place to change would be Park West.

It will depend upon where they are going to after they get off the train. For anyone going to Drumcondra area or north inner city around that station then it will be useful, as for anyone going to the CBD, who can use Pearse or Grand Canal Dock.

Changing at Hazelhatch should be a cross-platform interchange.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Cannot see services direct to Kildare will require 5-6+ minutes padding on the KRP section. There will have to be some sort of change from services from Connolly or Heuston heading to Portlaoise unless they decide to join units together en route.

Interesting thing will be if a service from GCD will be more appealing to passengers than lets say a non stop IC service out of Heuston.

There could be scope for GCD-Nass-Portlaoise and exclude KRP stops.

GCD has very poor connectivity with Heuston so the new service could be a winner. Pearse to Hueston is OK at present due to 145 re-routing both otherwise is not well connected; another winner. Tara St and Connolly have reasonable connections so probably not a hugh advantage. Drumcondra is also poorly connected with Heuston so there's a potential new catchment there as well.

Even better if the trains run to at least Newbridge which as a turn-back facility or better again Portloaise. If an interchange is required, it should be less than 5 mins.

It will be interesting to see what timetables will be proposed.

Won't be that busy - 4 trains during the peak which translates to 2 per hour and hourly after that. If Drumcondra get blocks, trains could divert to Heuston with its Luas/bus connections. Inconvenient but a lot cheaper providing the alternative route.

yeah, a lot cheeper because the customers might decide not to bother using the service and go back to whatever they were using and then the service can be canceled. not everyone is like us and will stick with the railway no matter what, its about time people in railway circles whether enthusiasts or working on the railway realized this.
    There are no alternatives at present for all of the DART so why spend 30m for a low frequency service?

i'd love to know how it would cost 30000000 just for a connection to 2 lines instead of 1. i don't buy it TBH. in answer however, because having a backup keeps things moving, and ensures customers might be a bit more understanding of the situation and continue using the service, as it at least keeps moving. there being no alternative for the dart is no reason to not bother.

and one blockage of drumcondra could put a lot off as well. but whatever. it clearly doesn't matter like everything else on the railway.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

not sure what the point would be given that Heuston is well connected with the Luas and anyone wanting the Luas could to there.

We have(will have extended ) two Luas Lines.

Having a stop at this point would allow for easy Transfer to the Green rather than the Red and make it very very popular iMHO.
    This avoids a trip Heuston/Red/Green , rather PPT/Green , kind of a Liffey Junction Round 2.

I am well aware it is a difficult engineering site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Is it known if this service is too operate on top of the hourly portlaois to heuston service or will it just be that service extended to grand canal docks?

Is it known if this service is too operate on top of the hourly portlaois to heuston service or will it just be that service extended to grand canal docks?

I would image peak capacity will be a slight increase and possibly some off peak services requiring some change.

For example most Intercity services operate close together departing X,Y,Z at 11, 13, 15.00 ish and would need to meet connections so I expect a Portlaoise service will meet those however services at 10, 12, 14.00 you may see a possible change required for some passengers as I can't see it been viable to operate such a service unless traffic was to increase a lot.

During the day the Portlaoise service is not heavily loaded so don't see an extra hourly commuter service to Dublin operating all the time.

I would image peak capacity will be a slight increase and possibly some off peak services requiring some change.

For example most Intercity services operate close together departing X,Y,Z at 11, 13, 15.00 ish and would need to meet connections so I expect a Portlaoise service will meet those however services at 10, 12, 14.00 you may see a possible change required for some passengers as I can't see it been viable to operate such a service unless traffic was to increase a lot.

During the day the Portlaoise service is not heavily loaded so don't see an extra hourly commuter service to Dublin operating all the time.

Thanks for the reply as for portlaois commuter off peak from the Times I've used it which is a fair bit as the bus service is a good 25 minuites slower on a good day and you'd be lucky too see a 3 car set half full but I can see why with the location of heuston and most of the people in my area I've recommended the service too never even knew there was a train station in the area

Thanks for the reply as for portlaois commuter off peak from the Times I've used it which is a fair bit as the bus service is a good 25 minuites slower on a good day and you'd be lucky too see a 3 car set half full but I can see why with the location of heuston and most of the people in my area I've recommended the service too never even knew there was a train station in the area

At the moment only in the early idea/planning stage but a completely new timetable will operate with alternate trains to/from Heuston and GCD, some GCD trains will be additional paths possibly from Newbridge/Kildare and some existing services through to Portlaoise depending on the time of day and traffic requirements as some of the slots will be used for swaping Connolly/Drogheda ICR sets directly with Portlaoise thus eliminating ECS runs between Heuston and Connolly.

Until the final timetable is drafted we won't know for certain however, a lot can happen in 12 months and what's on the cards now may not be what we see next year.

Works on the Glasnevin-Heuston and tunnel upgrade commence next week AFAIK.

GM228

GM228 wrote: »
    At the moment only in the early idea/planning stage but a completely new timetable will operate with alternate trains to/from Heuston and GCD, some GCD trains will be additional paths possibly from Newbridge/Kildare and some existing services through to Portlaoise depending on the time of day and traffic requirements as some of the slots will be used for swaping Connolly/Drogheda ICR sets directly with Portlaoise thus eliminating ECS runs between Heuston and Connolly.

Until the final timetable is drafted we won't know for certain however, a lot can happen in 12 months and what's on the cards now may not be what we see next year.

Works on the Glasnevin-Heuston and tunnel upgrade commence next week AFAIK.

GM228

What work needs too be done is it just signalling or is there some other problem with the line ?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0818/722029-phoenix-park-tunnel-dublin/
    Work to upgrade Dublin's Phoenix Park tunnel to provide a rail link for commuters from the midlands to the city centre and IFSC was officially launched today.

The €13.7m project, along with new signalling works at Connolly Station, will allow train passengers on the Kildare line to travel further into Dublin City Centre instead of getting off at Heuston.

It is reported that the upgraded tunnel will accommodate four trains an hour in one direction from towns including Carlow and Portlaoise when it re-opens to commuter services next year.

Interesting they mention carlow I wonder if this will just be a peak time service or will carlow be getting a service similar too what portlaois have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Interesting they mention carlow I wonder if this will just be a peak time service or will carlow be getting a service similar too what portlaois have

I would imagine it would be something along the lines off diverting the existing 06:30 from carlow to GCD rather tha Heuston

IE have confirmed services will only start from Kildare to begin with.

• Advertisement

The key to this proposal is that these need to be additional services.

It now appears that they will not serve Heuston P10 at all (no crossover being installed there), so this certainly means that it is essential that the existing services to that station are maintained (given that anyone going to locations west of O'Connell Bridge will still want to use that station).

If they are extras (and it looks as if they will be) then this should stimulate some demand for anyone going east and south of O'Connell Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,757 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The RTÉ article shows some pretty poor reporting..or the Iarnród Éireann contact hasn't a clue

"It says this is not a replacement for the Dart Underground, which would allow a direct link between the city's two main stations with capacity for 40 trains an hour."

Of course DARTu doesn't go near Connolly, rather it provides a bypass.

lxflyer wrote: »
    The key to this proposal is that these need to be additional services.

It now appears that they will not serve Heuston P10 at all (no crossover being installed there), so this certainly means that it is essential that the existing services to that station are maintained (given that anyone going to locations west of O'Connell Bridge will still want to use that station).

If they are extras (and it looks as if they will be) then this should stimulate some demand for anyone going east and south of O'Connell Bridge.

Hopefully they can somehow advertise the new service a bit better as I think awareness of it is still pretty low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Am I reading the articles wrong?

I assume when this is finished if you're coming from the Kildare stations then you don't have to get out at Heuston and hop on a bus/luas to get across the city but rather you can stay on your train and go around to Connolly/Tara/Pearse/Landsdowne?

Or what way is it going to work?

chops018 wrote: »
    Am I reading the articles wrong?

I assume when this is finished if you're coming from the Kildare stations then you don't have to get out at Heuston and hop on a bus/luas to get across the city but rather you can stay on your train and go around to Connolly/Tara/Pearse/Landsdowne?

Or what way is it going to work?

You will have a choice of trains - some going to Heuston, others bypassing Heuston and continuing through the Phoenix Park Tunnel and then serving each of Drumcondra, Connolly, Tara Street, Pearse and Grand Canal Dock.

Hopefully they can somehow advertise the new service a bit better as I think awareness of it is still pretty low.

Well given it isn't starting until next year and work is only starting to facilitate it, I'd suggest that it's a bit early before making statements like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

lxflyer wrote: »
    You will have a choice of trains - some going to Heuston, others bypassing Heuston and continuing through the Phoenix Park Tunnel and then serving each of Drumcondra, Connolly, Tara Street, Pearse and Grand Canal Dock.

But will you have to change trains anywhere along the way? Or can you stay on your own train for the whole journey to say Landsdowne.

But will you have to change trains anywhere along the way? Or can you stay on your own train for the whole journey to say Landsdowne.

You can only go as far as grand canal docks then you would have too change if you wanted to go further but you can get to the centre of town without needing a change of train anywhere

The train will operate to the following stations once it passes Parkwest:

Drumcondra, Connolly, Tara Street, Pearse and Grand Canal Dock.

Beyond Grand Canal Dock will require a change of train.

• Advertisement

Seems a shame not to serve platform 10 plenty of people working between Capel Street and Inchicore and it wouldn't be very costly to add an overpass and perhaps a travelator like Dublin Airport's low cost pier D.

An alternative entrence/exit at the Clancy Quay development site should be considered.

What work needs too be done is it just signalling or is there some other problem with the line ?

Regarding the tunnel itself it requires a heavy cleaning, new lighting and train radio signal improvements and dampness prevention improvements.

The rest of the €13.7 million will go towards partial relaying of the line (Cabra area), ground stabilisation and embankment works near the Cabra end of the tunnel and singal relocation between Glasnevin-Heuston, Drumcondra station will be upgraded with new ticket turnstiles and Tara St station is to receice a new Southbound lift shaft.

Funding could not be obtained to allow up train access to platform 10 and so for now Heuston will not be served, it is possible for down trains to use platform 10 but this is likely to be left out so as to avoid confusion. A big let down IMO. Depending on patronage and further study of passenger trends a business case may present itself in the future for platform 10 and a station at Cabra.

Initial timetable (6 months validity possible) will be to/from Kildare only and then extended to/from Portlaoise.

GM228

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 NorthDublin1

This sounds fantastic!

It also seems a bit of a waste for commuters since leap cards don't work in Kildare. A day return is a whopping €23.35. Much better off braving the N7.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Seems a shame not to serve platform 10 plenty of people working between Capel Street and Inchicore and it wouldn't be very costly to add an overpass and perhaps a travelator like Dublin Airport's low cost pier D.

An alternative entrence/exit at the Clancy Quay development site should be considered.

The problem is the track and signal alterations required to access platform 10 and the costs associated, however it will be looked into in the future.

GM228

or even better simply extend the busses down to platform 10 or as near as possible to it. they can serve it and their original stop as well

• Advertisement

It also seems a bit of a waste for commuters since leap cards don't work in Kildare. A day return is a whopping €23.35. Much better off braving the N7.

One step at a time!

A joint IE/NTA venture will be required for this in the future, lets get Cork Commuter sorted first!

GM228

Anyone wanting to go to those locations will already have the existing services which will continue to serve Heuston.

In order to stop at Platform 10 it would require a new points crossover between the bridge over the Liffey and the Phoenix Park tunnel. That (and associated signalling) does not come cheap.

There are clearance issues between platform 10 and Conyngham Road so putting an exit there isn't really a goer.

Any bridges have to be compliant with disability legislation and again that isn't cheap at all.

As for a travelator - it's 700m from Platform 10 to Heuston main station - that's totally unrealistic. There would have to be connecting buses to/from the platform as there was in previous times.

or even better simply extend the busses down to platform 10 or as near as possible to it. they can serve it and their original stop as well

Not much good if you're going to clancy quay, inchicore or Kilmainham.

This sounds fantastic!

Bear in mind though that this will only be one train an hour off-peak in either direction, and two per hour during the peak time.

Well I would imagine that most commuters are using a point to point ticket purchased under the taxsaver scheme and are not buying tickets on the day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement