Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmainham area

Options
  • 16-06-2019 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

We went sale agreed on a property in Kilmainham (very close to Old Oak pub) I have visited the area on a numerous occasions at different times and the area seems to be safe and mature with mixed types of people from young professionals to elderly couples. It's quite accessible with short distance to M50, numerous bus stop, heuston station and st. James luas stop only 5-10 mins walk (which seems a little bit rougher imo) Any thoughts on the area from people who live close to or in Kilmainham neighbourhood ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

All I can say is that I'm incredibly jealous! It's an area I absolutely adore, and that pub is meant to be a great spot. I've never come across anything bad in the area, but admittedly I just walk through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Absolute gem of an area. Very up-and-coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Very up-and-coming.

Pretty much sticks the nail in the coffin of the chance of me ever living there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

I currently live in this area and have to say that it's lovely. You have the park and the gardens in the Royal Hospital grounds right beside you, excellent transport facilities, walking distance to super value/HSQ, less than 10 min drive to Aldi/lidl, and, in the Royal Oak, you have one of the best pubs in Dublin on your doorstep. Have been here for almost 4 years without any trouble whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

Lovely area, very quiet. Up around Mount Brown / James St has plenty of 'characters' but nothing to be overly concerned about. Union 8 is a lovely restaurant and the Hilton is great for Sunday brunch, their buffet breakfast is also great if you're feeling lazy.

You've IMMA across the road and the memorial gardens are a great place to spend a summer's day. You'll love it there, congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

It's really lovely. I used to walk that road early in the morning from Inchicore on my way to work and it was the most peaceful place with lovely little houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Lovely spot, no problems. The only dodgy bit is Cromwells Quarters, the steps up from the Tathony House Hostel to James' Street. Thats awful. But the rest of the area is one of Dublins nicest spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

It's a great area. I live nearby and I love cycling around Kilmainham.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's a fantastic place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Jack_92

Lovely spot, no problems. The only dodgy bit is Cromwells Quarters, the steps up from the Tathony House Hostel to James' Street. Thats awful. But the rest of the area is one of Dublins nicest spots.

Thanks for all responses.

I agree it's not the nicest looking part of Kilmainham but what do you mean by awful? I imagine it can be a bit sketchy in the evenings which is my concern as Bow Lane would be my way to and from work (walking or cycling)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

And if so inclined you can become a St Pats supporter and endure a life of highs when expecting lows and lows when expecting highs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Lived there for 12 years, just down from the Royal Oak - and the Garda station is minutes away.
    Even during Forbidden Fruit, its not as bad as it was during the first few years - its much better now with the access and clean up. May move back some day - best of luck in your new home

Advertisement