Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new R125 (Dunshaughlin to the R154) is open

Options
  • 09-09-2009 7:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Opened a couple of weeks ago. Grand piece of road, 4 mins from the new watertower in Dunshaughlin to the Trim-Dublin road.

The section crossing the old railway alignment is raised as planned. In teresting thing is that the propsed movement of the line puts it only 20 seconds drivetime closer to the town, and you would have to wonder if there is anypoint bringing it closer to Dunshaughlin in whatever plans they are working on at the moment. There is no direct pedestrian access to the proposed new station site (you have to drive / cycle out past the GAA pitch, swing a left, about a circuitous mile later and the prosposed site is on the far side of the M3).

There are embankments at both the former route point and the new station site so it is a much of muchness in both cases - they'll still need to close the road to put in a bridge.

Looking at the short distance (I'll record it on my camera phone later this week), they should have just built a bridge at the original site, as the distance between the new and the old sit is about 600 - 800 metres.

Incidentally, as much of the R125 is built in either cutting or on embankment, I can't see paths or cycle lanes being retrofitted easily.

Am I surprised, no. Is it a waste, yes. Grand stretch of road though - one less pot-holed windy backroad to negotiate.

PS - I reckon this will become a major toll-avoidance rat-run to get around Dunshaughlin and the Blackbull in the future

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Lets be completely honest with people here and not mislead anyone.

If it was apparent Government policy to reopen the line to Navan (seen as though Dopey Dempsey has been blowing his trumpet about it for many years now) the design of this road (R125) and other aspects of the M3 (such as Blackbull) would have facilitated the reopening. The M3, which was designed while MCC were supposedly protecting the alignment (such as refusing a certain hotel permission to extend) and the Government being in favour of it, has not and I repeat, has not being designed or built to facilitate any railway. Any politician who tells you it is, is quite simply a liar.

In an era where Government harked on about value for money, they and MCC have presided over a road project that will add substantial costs to the supposed reopening of the Navan line because both entities forged ahead with a road before any route selection took place for the railway. You cannot design and build a motorway that interacts with a rail alignment that is under consideration for reopening, unless the route selection of the railway is part of the same process. It wasn't. Meath people were hoodwinked and please spare me all the hyperbole about "bridges can be built" etc etc.

The Navan railway was an empty promise by an empty administration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nctivKDHKyM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Very good, hadn't seen that.

Advertisement