Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT Collector servicer

Options
  • 18-02-2016 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭

Seen an ad for them come on a sidebar ad this evening, naturally 4 days after my car went my test. Anybody ever tried them? Are they any good? Have they a formal relationship with the NCT? Also, how do they get around the requirement for the named car owner requiring ID to obtain their cars cert, assuming you have passed?

http://nctcollector.ie/about/

https://www.ncts.ie/1115

PS I passed first time :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Seen an ad for them come on a sidebar ad this evening, naturally 4 days after my car went my test. Anybody ever tried them? Are they any good? Have they a formal relationship with the NCT? Also, how do they get around the requirement for the named car owner requiring ID to obtain their cars cert, assuming you have passed?

http://nctcollector.ie/about/

https://www.ncts.ie/1115

PS I passed first time :D

The "named car owner" does not have to bring the car, just whom ever brings it must have ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The "named car owner" does not have to bring the car, just whom ever brings it must have ID.

Posters at the NCT centre in say it's the named driver only. Maybe they've the wrong end of the stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Posters at the NCT centre in say it's the named driver only. Maybe they've the wrong end of the stick?

Yeah, they must. I've had my car brought in by friends, and brought a neighbour's car in for them and never had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I haven't seen those, I have taken my mothers and grandfathers cars through in the past with no issue but I did get asked for id both times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Don't see why it matters who brings it.

Also you can book an appointment outside office hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

beauf wrote: »
    Also you can book an appointment outside office hours.

I was offered appointments up until 10PM on a Monday while Deansgrange had 24 hour appointments at one stage. No problems getting appointments either; last year I got my test for free as I had to wait 2 months for a date whereas I could have gotten a test the day I rang up :)

One other small improvement; the cessation of a phone tariff pesky 1890 number ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Vic_08

€30 to bring a car to the NCT and back... and they are not offering a happy ending.

I am guessing it is not a coincidence they are based in Ballsbridge, can't see many other than D4 types willing to pay someone to do this for them.

I do wonder if they would stick to the €30 if a car from Dublin was booked into a test centre somewhere down the country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a mechanic my dad uses who brings the car for some people. he claims to have successfully had a fail reversed on occasion, before leaving the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Already answered, but just to confirm the flyers say:-
    The person who brings the car for inspection brings identification with them in the form of a Driving Licence as failure to provide the required identification will result in the vehicle not being issued an NCT certificate at the time of testing.

It should be noted that a passport is also accepted so the flyer shouldn't really be specific in mentioning a licence only.

Advertisement