Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus - Oldbawn

Options
  • 08-09-2009 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I have a question on the reliability and general flexibiltiy of Dublin Bus. I have just moved here from Cork and want to know would i be better off cycling from Tallaght into the city centre or is the bus frequent enough?

Thanks,

L icon7.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Hi,

I have a question on the reliability and general flexibiltiy of Dublin Bus. I have just moved here from Cork and want to know would i be better off cycling from Tallaght into the city centre or is the bus frequent enough?

Thanks,

L icon7.gif
    Depends on what number bus you're getting etc

You'll need to give more people information than that and welcome to Boards! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lauramurphy

Thanks for the warm welcome. Well i will be near enough to firhouse, old bawn i think so i am not too sure which bus i will be getting yet. Is the bus service in general any good in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm not sure what busses go from Old Bawn into the City Centre. The no 77a does as far as I know. I cycle Tallaght to the city centre every day and it's fine going in but can be a pig of a cycle coming home especially if the wind is against you.

The reason I started cycling was because while the busses ran fine in the mornings (I'm on the 77 route) they were constantly stuck in traffic in the evenings. It's quicker for me to cycle in and out of work (40 mins in, 50 mins home) than sit on a bus that would always get stuck in traffic on Pearse Street, in Walkinstown or going through Tallaght Village. The bus home and the walk to my door from the bus stop took well over an hour for me in the evenings. Plus, when you're on the bike you don't have to time leaving work with the next bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Hi,

Thanks,

L icon7.gif

If you feel that you are up for a daily ~15 mile cycle journey, do it. Unless your office is within hitting distance of the Luas Red line (is it?), cycling will save you time and an awful lot of money. I have done a similar commute.

The flipside with the hills on the way home is that the journey in is easier, just try not to kill anyone in Templeogue village ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Thanks for the warm welcome. Well i will be near enough to firhouse, old bawn i think so i am not too sure which bus i will be getting yet. Is the bus service in general any good in Dublin?

The 49 services Old Bawn and Firhouse - it is generally reliable.

The 74 services the Ballycullen area.

There is also one trip per day on the 15F.

The 77A takes a circuitous route to the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Dublin bus services are far better than Bus Éireann services in Cork.
    The College Green bus corridor should have improved things over what other posters have experienced in the past.
    You couldn't bet your life on the bus, but they are generally reliable. I don't know what you mean by flexible?

You've the option of the Luas from Tallaght to the city centre also.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Dublin bus services are far better than Bus Éireann services in Cork.

As a Corkonian living in Dublin myself, I agree DB, is a million times better then BE in Cork!! That might shock many Dubliners, it is a sad reflection on just how bad BE is in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I would also say that in general the bus is often faster than the LUAS - it depends on where you are coming from and going to, weigh up the pros and cons.

However if you are going to be in Old Bawn, then the LUAS is not a realistic option as the walk would far outweigh the time taken on any bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you are going to be commuting 5 times a week, it might be better to pick somewhere closed to the city centre to live, unless you have to live in Oldbawn.

Advertisement