Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Former Railway Stations in Cavan "Ballyheady Station" and "Killywilly Station"

• 07-07-2009 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Has anybody heard of the following County Cavan Railway stastions

"Ballyheady Station"
    and
    "Killywilly Station"

Looking for some info on them, found them listed on a protected building list on Cavan co co website???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres a ballyheady and killywilly directly along the path of the cavan leitrim railway either side of Ballyconnell.
    I would presume that these are the 2 places in question.

The railway seems to cross at exactly the location of ballyheady bridge so I am wondering did the railway use the same bridge as other traffic?
    I know the area down there reasonably well but i never knew there was a station down there.

I'll ask my dad what the craic is as he was the local creamery manager down there back in the late 60s so maybe he knows something about the railway!!

EDIT: Ballyheady is on the map below. Tomkin Road would be at Killywilly
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e4/Map_Rail_Ireland_Viceregal_Commission_1906.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Rawr

lynchiered wrote: »
    Has anybody heard of the following County Cavan Railway stastions

"Ballyheady Station"
    and
    "Killywilly Station"

Looking for some info on them, found them listed on a protected building list on Cavan co co website???

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/B/Ballyheady/A&Bindex.html
    Here's Ballyheady on Eiretrains.
    As for Killywilly...couldn't find it I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

This site has a map reference for it.

http://www.trainweb.org/i3/places/h303178.htm#h303178

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Killywilly - what a name :D

Great name for a contraceptive!

Now what has that to do with C&T? Well you could be using it on a train from Westport to a U2 concert.....for example. Ahem....and all that...right I'll go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is possible that they are marked on Cavan county Council maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

It's Ireland's answer to Lesbos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 HeritageRailway

Victor wrote: »
    It is possible that they are marked on Cavan county Council maps.

Killywilly station isn't recorded on maps as it isn't even a town land it's so small. It just was a mile down the line after Tomkin Road station, it opened in May 1888 and it closed in June 1888, just two months later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Rawr

Killywilly station isn't recorded on maps as it isn't even a town land it's so small. It just was a mile down the line after Tomkin Road station, it opened in May 1888 and it closed in June 1888, just two months later!

It's amazing to think that they went to the effort of constucting a station there for just 2 months use.

Rawr wrote: »
    It's amazing to think that they went to the effort of constucting a station there for just 2 months use.

Its even more amazing that the building is still apparently standing!

• Advertisement

Rawr wrote: »

Seemingly the station seems to have been built well after the line opened; it obviously was in a poor location given it's closeness to Tomkin Road and Ballyconnell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Here's some info on Killywilly

Press the Archival Records icon on the right-hand side ...

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Its even more amazing that the building is still apparently standing!

I'd guess that signal cabins or iron/wooden sheds aside, more railway structures stand than any other comparable buildings of their time; a testament to their build, heritage and architectural qualities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In fairness, in that era, I think its a matter of who built the building and what it was built for.

The post offices, banks, police stations and better off houses of the era are generally still standing, although not necessarily up to modern standards. The shacks and cottages of the poor, have, in the most part, gone or are used as animal sheds and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Eiretrains

There's a good possibility Killywilly Station was more of a halt than a decent sized station, with no great expense used in its construction. It may have been something like at Ballyheady, or Kilturbird, which was merely an addition to the existing crossing keepers house, some halts didn't have platforms either and were merely stopping places by the roadside or level crossings, a common feature on less intensive railway lines in Ireland. Such stopping places had chequred careers, opening several years after a line was built to generate additional revenue, only to close shortly after when it was found that they were not justified.

I would be interesting in seeing pictures of Killywilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lanarkdavy

Not sure if this is accurate. My grandfathers family lived at Killywilly. The station was working when he was a boy in the early 1900's. The station building is still there and is now a private home. I have pictures of it. The railway bridge crossed the river upstream of my grandfathers family house and mill at Killywilly.

Advertisement