Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-07-2015, 22:10   #31
shanew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aineoil View Post
...Daniel Shea born 1862 (source family headstone....Died aged 80 in 1942)

Mary Shea nee Donnelly (43 years of age in the 1901 census, 58 in the 1911 census)

They had 8 children.

Patrick born in 1885.

Hanora born in 1887. (Source church records)
have you checked for a marriage (civil or church) for Daniel and Mary ?

That might give a clue as to their location(s) before the birth of Hanora. I would start there and then try to work back to baptisms for Daniel Mary and possibly Patrick.

Last edited by shanew; 12-07-2015 at 22:14.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-07-2015, 08:21   #32
shanew

possible civil marriage index entry for Daniel and Mary ?

Name: Daniel Shea
Registration Quarter/Year: Jan-Mar 1884
Registration district: Cahirsiveen
Volume: 5 / Page : 45

One of the possible brides is a Mary Donnelly
Thanks from:
13-07-2015, 09:29   #33
montgo

I'm am trying to work out the name of 2nd sponsor. here, year 1811 and date looks like March 11 (lower half of page, left side).

"Thomas of Thomas Hinan, etc........................ son of Wm. Brien of Monemore" could it be Anastasia (or similar) of Wm Purcell of 2nd place ie Monemore or am I way off?

Thx
13-07-2015, 09:47   #34
KildareFan

could it be Mary Barrell of Wm Barrell of se [same] place? This register is great because it gives information on relationships of the sponsors as well....
13-07-2015, 09:57   #35
montgo

Yes, some of the early baptisms give additional information on the sponsors. The sponsor of a sister of my ancestor born 1811 was recorded as "brother in law" which was helpful.

I've been trying to find Pat/Patrick records closeby to compare the "P" but surprising that there weren't any but a a number with the name "Batt" which I thought were Bartholomew but could be Patrick. I have never found any surname "Barrell" before in this parish.
Advertisement
13-07-2015, 10:47   #36
P. Breathnach

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgo View Post
... could it be Anastasia (or similar) of Wm Purcell ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareFan View Post
could it be Mary Barrell of Wm Barrell of se [same] place? This register is great because it gives information on relationships of the sponsors as well....
montgo, I think you have been reading an ampersand (&) as a capital A. I'd go with KildareFan on Mary, but the surname might be Burrell (the scribe generally closes his "a"s).
13-07-2015, 11:15   #37
montgo

Hi,
You might well be correct.

I've attached another Purcell record from 1810 for comparison?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marriage 1810 PP & AG.jpg (57.8 KB, 23 views)
13-07-2015, 13:10   #38
P. Breathnach

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgo View Post
Hi,
You might well be correct.

I've attached another Purcell record from 1810 for comparison?
I scrolled through a few pages of your first link, and I think it is an idiosyncrasy of the scribe that his P is difficult to distinguish from his B. Yes, I now think the name is Purcell.
13-07-2015, 15:34   #39
montgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Breathnach View Post
I scrolled through a few pages of your first link, and I think it is an idiosyncrasy of the scribe that his P is difficult to distinguish from his B. Yes, I now think the name is Purcell.
Many thanks.
Advertisement
13-07-2015, 17:04   #40
Aineoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanew View Post
possible civil marriage index entry for Daniel and Mary ?

Name: Daniel Shea
Registration Quarter/Year: Jan-Mar 1884
Registration district: Cahirsiveen
Volume: 5 / Page : 45

One of the possible brides is a Mary Donnelly
Shane, Thank you so much for sourcing that information for me. It's much

appreciated. It looks like that they are my great grandparents. On the 1911

census it was recorded that they were married 27 years which would mean

they were married in 1884.
13-07-2015, 18:32   #41
shanew

Quote:
Shane, Thank you so much for sourcing that information for me. It's much

appreciated. It looks like that they are my great grandparents. On the 1911

census it was recorded that they were married 27 years which would mean

they were married in 1884.
I had a quick look on IrishGenealogy for the parish record for this marriage around 1884, but didn't spot anything. The civil cert should help your search, as it will show which church the marriage took place in, and the current residences for the bride and groom, along with their father's names and names of witnesses..

parts of parishes other than Cahirsiveen could be included in the registration district of Cahirsiveen - e.g. Valencia, Dromod, Prior and Kilcrohane

Last edited by shanew; 13-07-2015 at 18:58.
Thanks from:
13-07-2015, 20:14   #42
Aineoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanew View Post
I had a quick look on IrishGenealogy for the parish record for this marriage around 1884, but didn't spot anything. The civil cert should help your search, as it will show which church the marriage took place in, and the current residences for the bride and groom, along with their father's names and names of witnesses..

parts of parishes other than Cahirsiveen could be included in the registration district of Cahirsiveen - e.g. Valencia, Dromod, Prior and Kilcrohane
Again thanks for searching for me. I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to search for me.

I searched the church records myself and I found the names and dates of birth of my grandfather and his siblings, which was a great help.

Many thanks to the person that transcribed those records. It must have been a painstaking labour.

On a more poignant note two of my great grandparents, James and Catherine, must have died as young children, just looking at the census returns.

My father never knew he had an aunt and uncle by those names. They aren't even recorded on the family headstone. I suppose times were different and people didn't like to talk about things like that.

On another note I feel bad asking my dad all these questions when he doesn't really have answers for me and the information he has is vague - not his fault, but I think people didn't talk about things like that years ago. I would love to ask him if he knew the names of his own grandfather's siblings. I am new to genealogy and I don't want to put him under any pressure. But he's curious too and asks me if I have found out any new information.

He did ring me yesterday to say that Daniel Shea's parents were James Shea and Mary Galvin. He thinks they built the farm house in Clahanelinahan, Caherciveen.

Sorry for such a long post.
13-07-2015, 21:32   #43
Hermy

Quote:
...On another note I feel bad asking my dad all these questions when he doesn't really have answers for me and the information he has is vague - not his fault, but I think people didn't talk about things like that years ago. I would love to ask him if he knew the names of his own grandfather's siblings. I am new to genealogy and I don't want to put him under any pressure. But he's curious too and asks me if I have found out any new information...
He's curious too so don't feel bad.
If he was vague the first time you asked him I dare say he'll think of some more things the more you talk about the old times, especially if you've been able to dig out some names and places he had forgotten about.
That was my experience with my late mother. She'd swear she was no help cause she remembered nothing but when we'd get chatting she'd suddenly recall all sorts of apparently trivial but very useful info.
(2) thanks from:
14-07-2015, 19:19   #44
tabbey

NLI parish registers decipher thread

Aineoil, ask your father and other relatives as much as you can. My parents were dead a quarter of a century by the time I took up genealogy/ family history. All uncles and aunts had similarly departed. Starting when these are alive and alert can save a lot of time and effort.
14-07-2015, 19:52   #45
Aineoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbey View Post
Aineoil, ask your father and other relatives as much as you can. My parents were dead a quarter of a century by the time I took up genealogy/ family history. All uncles and aunts had similarly departed. Starting when these are alive and alert can save a lot of time and effort.
Thanks for that post tabbey. I agree with you completely, asking existing relatives saves a lot of time when trying to conduct research about the past.

My father, aged 80, is the only one I can ask about the past.

He does have two younger sisters who made their lives abroad long ago.

They left Ireland as teenagers to go to London and train as nurses in the late 1950's early 1960s. Sad to say I have never known my aunts on my father's side of the family.

Their mother (my granny) was a tough woman. Reading between the lines and hearing little bits of trivia like Hermy said are very interesting - I think they left because she wasn't a nice person and made them work very hard on the farm as in being made to get up at 6 in the morning to feed the geese as young girls.

I remember granny vaguely, I was 6 when she died. My memory of her was as a very headstrong woman.

Just a story, but when she made her will, she wanted to leave just one schilling to both of her daughters. Thankfully my father and mother talked her out of it.

Genealogy research brings out all sort of things.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion