Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-07-2015, 21:13   #16
Hermy

This page on Family Search can be helpful.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-07-2015, 22:55   #17
shanew

it think it's going to be something like - 'ceremony valid because of testimony of witness the father'
Thanks from:
11-07-2015, 18:42   #18
Aineoil

I'm going painstakingly through the records for Caherciveen, Co Kerry. The records were recorded in Latin. The first names of the children

baptised are in Latin too and some of the parents' names.

I've had no joy yet, despite scrolling slowly through 1862 (3 times) - the year my great grandfather was born. I doubted that I had the right

year, so I rang my eighty year old father to check. He went to the family headstone to see if I was wrong.

The headstone read "XXXX died 1942 aged 80".

I also checked the records from 1881 as well. Any advice?
11-07-2015, 19:28   #19
shanew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aineoil View Post
I'm going painstakingly through the records for Caherciveen, Co Kerry. The records were recorded in Latin. The first names of the children

baptised are in Latin too and some of the parents' names.

I've had no joy yet, despite scrolling slowly through 1862 (3 times) - the year my great grandfather was born. I doubted that I had the right

year, so I rang my eighty year old father to check. He went to the family headstone to see if I was wrong.

The headstone read "XXXX died 1942 aged 80".

I also checked the records from 1881 as well. Any advice?
what is his name, and parents names ?

I'd be very careful of reported ages for this timeframe from any source, as they are not always accurate...

Have you found any possible civil index records, or searching the transcripts on IrishGenealogy.ie ?
11-07-2015, 19:49   #20
Aineoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanew View Post
what is his name, and parents names ?

I'd be very careful of reported ages for this timeframe from any source, as they are not always accurate...

Have you found any possible civil index records, or searching the transcripts on IrishGenealogy.ie ?
May I post the name?

I agree about the age thing, people were not really sure of their birth date in bygone days. In the 1901 census my great grand mother was 43 years of age and by 1911 she was 58.

I do have his parents' names. May I post their names?

I found nothing in any civil records about him.

In IrishGenealogy.ie I found the baptismal and birth dates of seven of their children - church records.

The oldest child seems to have no baptismal record that I can find. He's a bit of a mystery. My father thinks he went to America.

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it.
Advertisement
11-07-2015, 19:59   #21
shanew

There's no problem with posting his name and those of siblings or his parent if you wish, as none of these people would still be living

The first child can be baptised in the mother's parish of origin so sometimes you have to search outside the area the family settled in. Where does you gt-grandfather fit in the family - middle, eldest, youngest etc...

p.s. it's possible that his baptism was not noted in the register in error, but there might be a civil record - depends how common the name is.. but you may have to try a few certs to find him. He may be registered under a different first name to the one you expect, and ended up using something else in later life.

Last edited by shanew; 11-07-2015 at 20:04.
11-07-2015, 20:16   #22
paddysdream

Quick question.
In the last column in a marriage register (Observanda si quae sint etc) what is to be found here normally?
Reason is that found marriage of a relative but even with half an hour of playing around with the screen still could not make out the words.Looks like 4 words with the first having approx 9 letters,second 3,third 2,fourth 3 letters all in a line and then underneath is another word(I think!!!!)

Not a lot to go on I know but hoping it might be a standard notation or comment.
Don't really want to link to it as both the name and address is the exact same as mine so if anybody might be willing to look at it then could pm.
Thanks.
12-07-2015, 00:26   #23
jos28

I reckon we'll all be heading to Specsavers reading through these images !
It's a fantastic resource and so much easier than spending the day at the NLI.
I have a birth of Walter Glover, May 1822 in Castletownbere
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy..../a303e20155788
I originally found him on the microfilm at NLI and found the entry online today.

Does anyone think this might be his parents marriage in 1820 ? (page 8)

Marriage.jpg
Thanks from:
12-07-2015, 01:44   #24
P. Breathnach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jos28 View Post
... Does anyone think this might be his parents marriage in 1820 ? (page 8)

Attachment 354966
Is it a marriage record? I see
Idem B. Walt. fil. leg. Walt. Glover & Catr. Sullivan Village
That looks to me to be (loose construction): "Likewise Baptised was Walter, a legitimate son of Walter Glover and Catherine Sullivan of the Village."
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-07-2015, 07:42   #25
CeannRua

Quote:
Originally Posted by clashburke View Post
Any ideas on what this says?

Its in the last column of the register. I have a feeling it might have something to do with the parent only being married two months previous (Different parish if that matters).

My eyes are square looking at it and I cant seem to get the right spelling for a translation!

Cheers

Edit: _________ tautum quia validi patre baptizatus _______ _______ patre
I wonder if this might mean that the child was baptised by his father, and that the father bore witness to same. Are there notations about dues paid to the priest on the page and is there any difference between the fee paid for this baptism and others?
12-07-2015, 10:05   #26
jos28

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Breathnach View Post
Is it a marriage record? I see
Idem B. Walt. fil. leg. Walt. Glover & Catr. Sullivan Village
That looks to me to be (loose construction): "Likewise Baptised was Walter, a legitimate son of Walter Glover and Catherine Sullivan of the Village."
Thanks P.B., I suspected as much. I wonder why there appears to be another baptism for Walter 2 years later.
I have come across cases where the first child died and the same name was used for the next one. Wonder if that's the case. I'd LOVE to find a marriage for Walter and Catherine. You'd imagine I'd have a good chance since the Castletownbere marriage registers run from 1819
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (265.5 KB, 13 views)
12-07-2015, 13:02   #27
P. Breathnach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jos28 View Post
Thanks P.B., I suspected as much. I wonder why there appears to be another baptism for Walter 2 years later.
I have come across cases where the first child died and the same name was used for the next one. Wonder if that's the case.
In West Kerry anyway, it was fairly common to find the name of a deceased child given to the next one born, and I think the custom was more widespread than that. There seems to have been a traditional belief that God would not take two children of the same name from the family.
Quote:
I'd LOVE to find a marriage for Walter and Catherine. You'd imagine I'd have a good chance since the Castletownbere marriage registers run from 1819
Are you sure they married in Castletownbere? Do you have any reason to think there might be a connection with another parish?
12-07-2015, 13:58   #28
jos28

All my lot are from Kerry and I found a few re-used names. I love the idea that the belief was that God wouldn't take a second one. I hadn't heard that before and it explains why I found so many.
The Glovers were all based in Killeentierna and one marriage entry shows Walter (Snr), father of the bride as a soldier.
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy..../e39ba40029040
When I found Walter in Castletownbere I knew they had to be connected. It's possible that he was stationed at the military base there. I managed to find a fabulous illustrated report from Bere Island in 1824. This highlights how difficult life was for the soldiers and how some of them crossed the mountains into Kerry in search of food and work. This might explain how Walter ended up in Kerry. Clutching at straws here I know. I've no proof that they married in Castletownbere but I thought it was a possibilty

Bere Island in Bantry Bay with a review of its effective powers as a Fortfied Place. Written by Lt Alexander Alcock, Royal Artillery, 1824.
12-07-2015, 15:48   #29
clashburke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeannRua View Post
I wonder if this might mean that the child was baptised by his father, and that the father bore witness to same. Are there notations about dues paid to the priest on the page and is there any difference between the fee paid for this baptism and others?
http://137.191.249.36/registers/vtls...e/167/mode/1up

Third down on that page John Lee. No mention of dues anywhere.

I've put it up on a Latin Forum also and they seem to think its written wrong. There reluctant to give what they think it would be if it was phrased correctly
12-07-2015, 19:41   #30
Aineoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanew View Post
There's no problem with posting his name and those of siblings or his parent if you wish, as none of these people would still be living

The first child can be baptised in the mother's parish of origin so sometimes you have to search outside the area the family settled in. Where does you gt-grandfather fit in the family - middle, eldest, youngest etc...

p.s. it's possible that his baptism was not noted in the register in error, but there might be a civil record - depends how common the name is.. but you may have to try a few certs to find him. He may be registered under a different first name to the one you expect, and ended up using something else in later life.
I think you might be right. He may have been baptised in his mother's parish. I never thought of that. My dad thinks she was from Ballinskelligs.

I don't know where my great grandfather fits in family wise. I'll ask my dad but I don't think he knows.

Here's what I do know.

Daniel Shea born 1862 (source family headstone....Died aged 80 in 1942)

Mary Shea nee Donnelly (43 years of age in the 1901 census, 58 in the 1911 census)

They had 8 children.

Patrick born in 1885.

Hanora born in 1887. (Source church records)

James born in 1890. (Source church records)

Catherine born in 1891. (Source church records)

Mary born 1893. (Source church records)

John born 1895. (Source church records)

Daniel born 1897. (Source church records)

Timothy born 1899. (Source church records)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion