Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much of you wages do you save?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

So better feeling than zero debt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

These threads always end up with very specific, detailed, personal posts. Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm actually thinking that for a country that is apparently useless/f*cked/a disaster, we have surprisingly high levels of saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I'm actually thinking that for a country that is apparently useless/f*cked/a disaster,

It's not.

There is approx 94 bn on deposit by Irish households.

https://www.centralbank.ie/statistics/data-and-analysis/credit-and-banking-statistics/private-household-credit-and-deposits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I'm actually thinking that for a country that is apparently useless/f*cked/a disaster, we have surprisingly high levels of saving.

Household wealth is 750 bn, and that's after deducting liabilities.

https://www.centralbank.ie/statistics/data-and-analysis/financial-accounts

https://www.centralbank.ie/docs/default-source/statistics/data-and-analysis/financial-accounts/quarterly-financial-accounts-for-ireland-q4-2017.pdf?sfvrsn=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Savings? other than saving for a mortgage or having it paid off already i dont see the point in having any savings( other than several K emergency funds ). Any savings i have i use to pay off the mortgage. Also cashed in my work shares scheme because ill be f***ed if ill wait 3 years, pay 50+% to revenue before i even sell them( which might be at a loss after ive paid 50%+ on taxes ) and then give an extra 33% Capital Gains Tax on any of potential profit.

Basically other than like i said saving for a mortgage its a complete waste of time having "savings" in this country.

On the original point i "save" 50-70% per month and bung it on the mortgage, 13% left at 7+ years.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

1000$ a week, about half my weekly wage here in Oz. Slogging around building sites and staring into trenches pays quite well. Make double what i made consulting.

It wont last for ever as I'll be home next year so saving like fook while i can. For people saving for mortgages you'd get it done far quicker out here and you wouldnt have to forego an actual life for 2/3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Apocalypticism

I am saving 1500 out of 2390 which is my monthly pay. Advantage of living with parents I guess. Could make some improvements to make it larger e.g I spend 10 euro per day on food and I think 6 would be enough. Also if I bought weekly bus tickets online I would get free ticket every 10 weeks which is worth 46 euro also online the ticket costs 43.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Min 500 - Max 1,000. Depending on what other outgoings we have that month

Not counting pension contributions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

0-5 euro per week depending how flush i'm feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

26% to joint savings, 4% to personal savings and 3% to pension

lmimmfn wrote: »
    .................. pay 50+% to revenue before i even sell them( which might be at a loss after ive paid 50%+ on taxes ) and then give an extra 33% Capital Gains Tax on any of potential profit.

Basically other than like i said saving for a mortgage its a complete waste of time having "savings" in this country.

On the original point i "save" 50-70% per month and bung it on the mortgage, 13% left at 7+ years.

Share scheme at work should be more benefical than you describe .... Full income Tax relief is allowed on the amount of pay foregone. However, any shares awarded under
    an Approved Profit Sharing Scheme (including shares awarded as part of a Salary Foregone arrangement) will be
    liable to Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) and Universal Social Charge (USC). Salary Forgone deductions will
    therefore be made free of Income Tax only.

Advertisement