Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whey Protein of choice?

Options
  • 11-09-2014 3:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Not looking to start a debate of any kind but just generally curious as to what whey protein people on this forum use? Been using ON Gold Standard but looking to try something newer and cheaper in the coming weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The first protein I used was the ON Gold Standard and because of deals online I got it a few times. I liked it so I was loath to switch but I couldn't justify the price.

Tried MyProtein though and I can't say I thought it tasted worse and I've pretty much gone with MP ever since.

I've also tried BulkPowders as well and again I didn't think there was a huge taste difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Currently using Sci-Tec cuz HPnutrition do good deals on it. The caramel flavour is easily the nicest whey I've tasted, it's not over powering and has a smooth flavour to it and mixes with everything well, i.e; different fruits, or if you're using it to make home-made protein bars or pancakes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Cotts72

.ak wrote: »
    Currently using Sci-Tec cuz HPnutrition do good deals on it. The caramel flavour is easily the nicest whey I've tasted, it's not over powering and has a smooth flavour to it and mixes with everything well, i.e; different fruits, or if you're using it to make home-made protein bars or pancakes etc.

Was looking at the scitec whey professional yesterday actually,besides taste how effective do you find it? Considering that or syntha6

I've used myprotein and proteinworks before, delivery times is what puts me off! So much easier ordering off the likes of hpnutrition and getting next day delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 GerSmith

I used PHD Whey Vanilla. Having tried many, MANY over the years. This one seems to be the one that I have never gotten sick of. Using it probably 2 years now, roughly 2 scoops twice a day to have my protein in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Syntha 6 cookie dough is the nicest flavour drink I have ever had. If only I could justify the cost :(. I used to used it as a desert somedays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Best bang for your buck has always been gold standard, and beat tasting imo

Others are mostly too sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Best bang for your buck has always been gold standard, and beat tasting imo

Others are mostly too sweet
    On is one of the most expensive brands out there?
    Complete marketing hype!
    I really dont know how anyone can honestly compare whey powders!
    What are you basing your results on?
    Unless you have some mass lab testing system over a few hundred people before and afters over months how can you realy judge one over the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭binncheol

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Syntha 6 cookie dough is the nicest flavour drink I have ever had. If only I could justify the cost :(. I used to used it as a desert somedays.

Cookie dough flavour?! Man, I think I need to jump on the protein supplement wagon!

On is one of the most expensive brands out there?
    Complete marketing hype!
    I really dont know how anyone can honestly compare whey powders!
    What are you basing your results on?
    Unless you have some mass lab testing system over a few hundred people before and afters over months how can you realy judge one over the other?

Why would you test on people!? You just test the powder itself for the protein content.
    Cookie dough flavour?! Man, I think I need to jump on the protein supplement wagon!

It's like liquid desert.

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Was looking at the scitec whey professional yesterday actually,besides taste how effective do you find it? Considering that or syntha6

I've used myprotein and proteinworks before, delivery times is what puts me off! So much easier ordering off the likes of hpnutrition and getting next day delivery!

Honestly I don't know how to compare whey's. I'm just looking for a low sugar/carb content when picking them. They all seem to do the same thing, that is to fill you with protein based calories and help supplement your diet.

I'm not sure how people actually see differences between brands?

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Honestly I don't know how to compare whey's. I'm just looking for a low sugar/carb content when picking them. They all seem to do the same thing, that is to fill you with protein based calories and help supplement your diet.

Why look for a low sugar/carb one? They all have at most 5g of carbs. That's not going to make or break anything.

Why look for a low sugar/carb one? They all have at most 5g of carbs. That's not going to make or break anything.

Some actually have higher amounts, especially the sweeter ones and the cheaper brands. Most of the big brands are <5g but you need to watch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Who actually gives a fcuk?

@ak. Are you going to buy a cheaper brand? No, so why speak about carbs/sugar? You're going to buy a reputable brand where unless you're buying a gainer, it's going to have less than 5g of carbs. And if you're worrying about 5g of carbs in your shake well I hope your cycle is going well and well see you in the Olympia in a few weeks.

Why does everyone make such a big deal over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Why would you test on people!? You just test the powder itself for the protein content.

I agree with you there has this been done before or something online to compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Cotts72

After looking through a few different brands as alternatives,I'm going to go for either PhD Pharma WHey HT or scitec whey 100% professional just to try something different!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have myprotein unflavoured and add flavours, how strong I want the taste will vary day to day, just like dilutable orange drinks.

I have a "magic bullet" type blender and when you make it with ice & milk its on a par with takeaway milkshakes, to me anyway.

Who actually gives a fcuk?

@ak. Are you going to buy a cheaper brand? No, so why speak about carbs/sugar? You're going to buy a reputable brand where unless you're buying a gainer, it's going to have less than 5g of carbs. And if you're worrying about 5g of carbs in your shake well I hope your cycle is going well and well see you in the Olympia in a few weeks.

Why does everyone make such a big deal over it?

Who's making such a big deal over it?

But yeah, if you're taking 3-4 scoops a day that's 10-20 carbs a day, and when you're cutting and want your carbs from very particular sources it can matter.

I was just asked how they compare, to which I answered:

Don't see how anyone is making a big deal here? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Myprotein - has never let me down. Like the taste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I use myprotein.com.

Myprotein is good alright. Just don't get the pineapple flavour. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it! Now I have 2kg to get rid of.

• Advertisement

Myprotein is good alright. Just don't get the pineapple flavour. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it! Now I have 2kg to get rid of.

Try mixing it with whatever you use instead. Like 4 parts nice taste 1 part pineapple.

Worked for a mint choc one I had before that was disgusting. If ebola had a flavour it would be that mint choc whey.

Try mixing it with whatever you use instead. Like 4 parts nice taste 1 part pineapple.

Worked for a mint choc one I had before that was disgusting. If ebola had a flavour it would be that mint choc whey.

That's a pretty solid idea! I have a bag of vanilla left that's very good.

That's a pretty solid idea! I have a bag of vanilla left that's very good.

It will taint the vanilla but it takes the horrible from the pineapple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I just got a tub of Hyper Trophy Nutrition ISATC (isolate) special edition Cookies delight all I can say OMFG it is sinfully gorgeous!

I used a blender with some ice and it came out all frothy and just tasted divine....

I have tried ON and also Pro Pharma which I reckoned were as about as tasty as you could get but this Protein is waaaaayyyy nicer. No sugar but sweetened with Aspartame which I know doesn't agree with everyone..

One question , it's 90% protein is this a little low or is that pretty ok?

youtube! wrote: »
    I just got a tub of Hyper Trophy Nutrition ISATC (isolate) special edition Cookies delight

One question , it's 90% protein is this a little low or is that pretty ok?

Many of the widely used ones would be 80-85%

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

I've used ON, protein works, bulk powders and myprotein - all are pretty much the same.

Currently using and would recommend myprotein unflavoured and flavdrops (add your own flavour) - I have a few different flavours for variety every day, get to make it as strong/weak as I like, plus get the extra protein gains in unflavoured whey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Ditto on summer fruits flavour - got sucked in by the 15% off (there was good reason for that)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭cagefactor

I think the musclepharm choco mint or cookies and cream is the nicest one I have ever come across. It's very sweet which suits me. That would lead me to believe it's loaded with sugar as my mind is telling me I am tasting the sweet heavily sugar when using it.

I find ON chocolate has very little taste in comparison, but no doubt it's not loaded with sugar.

ON Casein Chocolate is the nicest, easiest to mix casein I've tasted though. By far the easiest mix I've come across thus far.

Drinking 4 of these a day is like pissing money into the sea. Real Food > Liquid Shakes

cagefactor wrote: »
    Drinking 4 of these a day is like pissing money into the sea. Real Food > Liquid Shakes

Why are you drinking 4 a day? What's your target protein?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭cagefactor

I'm not drinking 4 a day, I just seen a comment in the thread about people drinking 3-4 a day which imho is a waste of money

Advertisement