Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is your child a "fat bastard"*

• 25-08-2014 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

*with apologies to Austin Powers
    Longstanding Dublin uniform suppliers, Grants of Manor Street, service more than 40 primary and post primary schools in the capital, as well as in Kildare and Wicklow. They are now selling trousers for primary school students which cater for up to a 40-inch waist.This means there are 11 and 12-year-olds with a waistline in excess of three feet.

Eric Craig, who operates a clothes shop in Arklow, sells trousers which can have a waist of up to 50 inches for boys."We also have uniform kilts for girls up to 38 inches - we'd sell a few of those each year," he told the Irish Independent. "I've provided for children in primary school with 38 inch waists.

I had a child one year looking for a 40-inch, and another some years ago with a 44-inch waist. - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/school-trousers-with-50inch-waist-go-on-sale-to-cater-for-obese-pupils-30533413.html#sthash.GvM8koPn.dpuf

With the news of size 50" waist bands and jumbo desks and chairs now being ordered to accommodate massive primary school kids who are as wide as they are tall its time to ask this question.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

'I don't like being outdoors, Smithers. For one thing, there are too many fat children.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

There probably wouldn't be so many fat children if the parents stopped insisting on driving them right up to the fúcking classroom door in their massive wagons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I couldn't believe it when I heard 50" earlier on the radio.

A 50" waist on a fully grown man would be extremely obese. I can't even begin to fathom what a child with a 50" waist would look like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Wasn't this thread done two or three weeks ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Forget about walking,the 50in waistband child could be rolled into school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geret

I've just finished reading an article that explained how children are hungry at school

no wonder they're all hungry if they're fat bastards, nothing to do with poverty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Yeah, but some fat kid ate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Aglomerado wrote: »
    There probably wouldn't be so many fat children if the parents stopped insisting on driving them right up to the fúcking classroom door in their massive wagons.

It's a far bigger problem than that. If a child has a 50" waist problem it will take more than exercise to fix it. The parents should be ashamed of themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Super-Rush wrote: »

The OP in that one spelled 'fat bastard' with capital letters so that thread was different. The one the week before had it written in italics.

Who ever opens next week's Is your child a "fat bastard" thread will need to underline it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I'm a 33 year old man, who likes kebabs and chips, beer and peanuts, sausage, egg and chips etc, and I don't do any real exercise bar walking a lot.

My waist is 32 inches.

These lard asses must put away some amount of calories and really not move at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭Wossack

A 50" waist on a fully grown man would be extremely obese. I can't even begin to fathom what a child with a 50" waist would look like.

My understand is, he ate all the pies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

KungPao wrote: »
    I'm a 33 year old man, who likes kebabs and chips, beer and peanuts, sausage, egg and chips etc, and I don't do any real exercise bar walking a lot.

My waist is 32 inches.

These lard asses must put away some amount of calories and really not move at all.

I'm exactly the same. I can't see how anyone could have a 50 inch waist without putting some seriously proper effort into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

My waist is 32 inches.

How do we know you're not 3 feet tall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Grants of Manor Street should have steered the 50in eating machine away from the trouser section and into the moo moos

My waist is 32 inches.

In fairness at primary level they're eating what they're given. If they're buying extra sweets, the money is being given to them also. The parents have a lot of answering to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

I live in the country. I could count on 2 hands the number of what I would class as overweight/fat kids in their primary school of ca 150 kids.

If I drive to the nearest big town, that number shoots way up.

Where I live there are no chippers, parents have to cook. The easy options are typically not there.

Parents are responsible for educating their children about what to eat and when to eat.

The article in the OP is shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

50 inch wait my bollix, it's almost as if longstanding Dublin uniform suppliers, Grants of Manor Street are looking for a bit of free publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I've seen it and it ain't pretty. Under 10 years old the mother was feeding 8 waffles per sitting (that's not including the 3 or 4 chicken burger patty things with it), per child, plates must be cleaned. I physically couldn't eat that.

It has sweet f all to do with exercise for the kids with the 50" waists and EVERYTHING to do with years upon years of extreme over-feeding by the parents (who themselves are usually obese with no clue about portion control, but not to the extent of their kids seeing as their own parents had a bit more responsibility and didn't give them such a bad start in life).

It's really NOT down to kids having a couple of chicken wings with their lunch, or taking the bus to school or even being driven, and then sitting in front of a screen at home and having a bar of chocolate or bag of crisps after dinner. All of that in combination will eventually make a child (as it used to be known) chubby. These kids are being over-fed to an absolute extreme. It's not just neglect, it's actually abuse. Neglect would be neglecting to educate yourself about the high sugar, fat and salt content of convenience food and then serving up a (volumetrically) normal portion of it to them and wondering why they look a bit pudgy. Abuse is where you serve up quantities of food to a child that a fully grown adult would be sick trying to eat and make them finish it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

TheZohan wrote: »
    It's a far bigger problem than that. If a child has a 50" waist problem it will take more than exercise to fix it. The parents should be ashamed of themselves.
    Child abuse, pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I dated someone years ago who, at 6'10, and around 28 stone, had a 52 inch waist. He ate approximately 5-6000 calories a day.

I honestly have no idea how the fcuk any child could eat that much without vomiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Save some for later Agustus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

This is child abuse, end of story. Some parents are so lazy they can't be bothered to cook proper food and use the excuse of 'not having time'. This is absolute BS as many good healthy meals can be made using a slow cooker or just doing a load at the weekends. I also hate the excuse of it 'being too expensive'... another BS excuse. If you can't be bothered to care for your kids then don't have them. A proper diet will no only ensure you have a healthy child but also help develop their brain too so you are giving your child the very best start in life.

That could be a lot to do with your metabolism some people process their calories quicker than others and can get away with that, it often catches up later in life when your metabolism slows down. You do walk a lot however which is great for keeping slim.

My brother was the same whereas I have always had to watch what I eat and exercise regularly to keep trim. It caught up with him in his mid thirties and now he is overweight whereas my metabolism has neither slowed down nor sped up.

I would be worried about your cholesterol levels though, just because you don't put on weight doesn't mean you are not clogging up your arteries eating crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I dated someone years ago who, at 6'10, and around 28 stone, had a 52 inch waist. He ate approximately 5-6000 calories a day..

Being a feeder is a common fetish, don't worry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I'm finding it quite difficult to imagine a chile with a 50 inch waist. I'd almost say that parents that allow that to happen should have their children taken off them. It's beyond irresponsible. It puts the child in an awful position both in terms of self esteem and the fact that the child will very likely be bullied by it's peers.

anncoates wrote: »
    Being a feeder is a common fetish, don't worry.

I'm not. I'm perfectly happy with my boyfriend who has a 30 inch waist and is a gym junkie :)

I have a child in primary school and from what I see there's no way there's many kids of that size.

I wouldn't say being a feeder is a "common" thing, fetish-wise.

Certainly not as common as dressing in rubber. Mmmmmm. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

I dated someone years ago who, at 6'10, and around 28 stone, had a 52 inch waist. He ate approximately 5-6000 calories a day.

I honestly have no idea how the fcuk any child could eat that much without vomiting.

really???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

At the bus stop the other day see an obese woman and her son coming out of Spar. Crisps and coke etc are bad as it is but i couldn't believe it. Here he was onto his fourth bag of a special offer of 6 bags of meanies. While she was holding his two litre bottle of coke and passing it over to him when he wanted a sup. I have no doubt he worked his way through the 6 packets and a 2 litre of coke for a snack.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 429 ✭✭Export

This actually annoys me. How could you do this to your child? Were you a bottle-feeding, co-sleeping, non-exercise, sling parent or something? Disgrace. I agree, it is actual child abuse. How the **** is the poor bastard ever going to 'get normal'. FFS. Disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Terrible parenting is to blame.

catallus wrote: »
    I wouldn't say being a feeder is a "common" thing, fetish-wise.

Certainly not as common as dressing in rubber. Mmmmmm. :)

I was making a dumb joke so didn't consult the relevant statistics.

PucaMama wrote: »
    really???

Yup. He was about 4 stone lighter when we got together. Then decided to live off of takeaways and Coke.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Here he was onto his fourth bag of a special offer of 6 bags of meanies. .

Did you stalk them and count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

A 50" waist in primary school?!?

That child sits next to everyone in the class.

• Advertisement

I was making a dumb joke so didn't consult the relevant statistics.

I betcha every single child that has a 50 inch waist has atheist parents. There, I said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I have a child in primary school and from what I see there's no way there's many kids of that size.

I deliver into loads of schools and, your right, the fat kid is still a rare sight. Until you go to the schools in working class areas. It needs to be seen to believed. Frightening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

RoboRat wrote: »
    I also hate the excuse of it 'being too expensive'... another BS excuse.

It's idiotic. It's far more expensive to shovel a load processed crap into your face than to cook with simple fresh produce.

Vegetables are virtually free.

At the bus stop the other day see an obese woman and her son coming out of Spar. Crisps and coke etc are bad as it is but i couldn't believe it. Here he was onto his fourth bag of a special offer of 6 bags of meanies. While she was holding his two litre bottle of coke and passing it over to him when he wanted a sup. I have no doubt he worked his way through the 6 packets and a 2 litre of coke for a snack.

He won't eat proper food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Yup. He was about 4 stone lighter when we got together. Then decided to live off of takeaways and Coke.
    at 6'10 is that big a waist an issue?

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    It's idiotic. It's far more expensive to shovel a load processed crap into your face

Have you ever seen that Special K stuff? Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

The Peanut wrote: »
    I live in the country. I could count on 2 hands the number of what I would class as overweight/fat kids in their primary school of ca 150 kids.

If I drive to the nearest big town, that number shoots way up.

Where I live there are no chippers, parents have to cook. The easy options are typically not there.

Parents are responsible for educating their children about what to eat and when to eat.

The article in the OP is shocking.

This is the absolute truth, country children also lean more towards being strong than fat. Probably because GTA5 is replaced by forkin' fodder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Only if you've to sit next to him on a plane.

Yup, his bmi was through the roof, body fat % shockingly high, couldn't walk without being out of breath, high blood pressure, etc. I

But meanies are lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

A 50" waist in primary school?!?

That child sits next to everyone in the class.

Sorry, but the report was actually about 40" waists in primary school uniforms and 50" waists in secondary school uniforms. The woman in the interview made a point of clarifying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

My kid is NOTa Fat Bastard,
    He might be lazy
    He might be stupid
    He might be a Fat Bastard
    But he is NOT gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Well for one thing they wouldn't all fit unless their teacher is a Tetris champion.

Sorry, but the report was actually about 40" waists in primary school uniforms and 50" waists in secondary school uniforms. The woman in the interview made a point of clarifying that.

A 40 inch waist (I've a 28 inch waist) in a child, is wrong, wrong, wrong wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

Aglomerado wrote: »

This could be a ploy to roll their kids to seconary school!

• Advertisement
Advertisement