Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you describe Irish humour?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

A lot of it now is influenced by comedy from the USA and UK.

I think one thing that is unique to us is the horriffic slagging we can give each other. i remember there was an italian guy in a group of me and my mates one time... the thought a fight was going to break out but we wer just tearing strips off each other for the craic. No harm done.

Ha ha,i had the exact same thing in Australia only with an American instead of an Italian,he was stunned
    "oh my gawd! i thought you guys are friends??!"
    "Huh?...we are"
    "Then why are you so.....mean to each other??"
    "Just havin a laugh like...what?"

Poor guy was baffled.....it is a bit weird though,ripping the piss out of your best friends for fun......what can i say though,i love it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

durty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I'm learning to turn down the abuse factor which we use big time amongst ourselves, but is deemed hurtful everywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

O Briain is a terrible comedian who has been winging it for far too long. He is symptomatic of the nudge wink type humour the Irish lap up so much.

O'Brien is terrible I agree. He landed on his feet in the UK for some reason. Lame ass jokes altogether, he used to do a really annoying, EHHHHH, after each punchline. To me is a very bad representitive of Irish humour.

I suppose I would describe it as witty.

Dave Allen would be a very good Irish comedian.

I can't say I ever got yerman Tommy Tiernan. I haven't seen most of his stuff and I don't think I will ever bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

This doesn't apply to Irish stand-ups so much, but in everyday life, a lot of our humour seems to be built on making people feel as uncomfortable as possible. When I'm in a bad mood, a dig from a friend will almost reduce me to tears. Of course, what I'll have forgotten is that, just the day before, I doled it out myself...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 poppylady

I think it can vary from county to county. Or there may even be a town/country divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Quick thinking. Dara O'B is a great example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

One word that hasn't been mentioned yet is surreal. Think Flann O'Brien, Spike Milligan, Graham Linehan, Dylan Moran.

Satire.. you'd have Dave Allen, Dermot Morgan, Dave McSavage, Mario Rosenstock

and ****.. Brendan O'Carroll, Brendan Grace, (insert comedian here)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

In three words? Resigned to defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

i think we have a great sense of humour, and it does differ from british humour although there are similarities. i think the american humour is probably one of the worst with a few exceptions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

I saw the show 'Boys from the Blackstuff' recently (worth a watch), which is a really old 80's thing set in Liverpool; the humour from that I think is kind of similar to how Ireland can be.
    But ya as someone said; dark and self deprecating, often through ripping into someone/something, but a lot of it is also storytelling.

Been a while since I watched TV regularly, but I don't think there has been much good Irish comedy stuff for a while? What recent/current stuff is worth seeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

A lot of said here that I agree with but I think that the best Irish comedy is dark and irreverent and definitely self-deprecating, we always seem to take pride in that which other nations wouldn't such as drinking too much, terrible politicians etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

We are great for making jokes or laughing at terrible times.

The majority of rte comedy does not represent our humour I feel apart from fair city of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭s20101938

Irish humour is Sarcastic, Puerile, Snide, Lazy, Cruel

O'Briain is painfully unfunny. He thinks he's more intelligent than everyone because he studied Theoretical Physics and Maths at College. I can just imagine him smirking to himself and thinking:

"lol at my own jokes. Well if I can make a bunch of theoretical physicists laugh I can make anyone laugh, haw haw haw."

twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I find Dara O'Brien hilarious. Same with people like Neil delamere (some of the funniest standup Ive ever seen), Ardal Ohanlon et al. Dylan Moran is another one.
    Its people like Jason Byrne who ruin Irish comedy imo.

Irsih humour in general is self deprecating and that's what I love about it. Any time Im away with friends abroad, people think we hate eachother :D
    (A usual exchange before a night out would be something along the lines of..
    Me: Do i look alright in this?
    Mate: Nah, your arse is massive, cant believe youd go out in public with that thing on ya
    Etc.
    But funnier-its just too early to think of examples :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

s20101938 wrote: »

O'Briain is painfully unfunny to me because I dont get it and it makes me feel small

twat.

there thats better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Irish humour can be very literal and we can come across as being smart arses, even when we're not. An example is when the Cheryl asked Jedward where they saw themselves in 15yrs time and one of them said "well I see myself being older". Louis got it but Simon thought they were being cheeky gits.

It's also deeply sarcastic and cutting and I have to tone it down sometimes or people take it the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that wasn't them trying to be funny that was them being the thick eejits that they are

Advertisement