Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can big spiders crawl back out after you've hoovered them up?

Options
  • 10-02-2011 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I'm wondering about this, as the Giant House Spiders seem to be tough enough to resist the sucktion of the hoover, and you have to really batter them with a magazine before they finally lay still.
    A while ago I've even flushed one down the plughole in the bath, only to find him there a few hours later all dryed up and in exactly the same spot, honest to God!
    Last night I hoovered one up, and it was a whopper! I wouldn't be surprised to see it emerging back out of the hoover with revenge on it's mind :pac:
    But is this possible? Does anyone know?
    attached is also a picture of one of these lads

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

They probably get stuck in the dust/dirt of the hoover bag and possibly suffocate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭whiteboy

I'd sooner find away to put it outside, it's cruel to do what you're doing!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Jesus............I hope not :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

By the time you go get the hoover the little fúcker will be well gone. Just get him there and then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Yes and when they crawl back out they are very very angry.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

:pac: Ah Jaysus, thats not a big spider, theres a Huntsman here behind the fridge that'd eat him aas a snack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

They eat all the dust and other materials in the hoover (bag) and continue to grow and thrive for many weeks and months while all the time plotting their revenge.
    They mate with other spiders they meet in the hoover and produce many many baby spiders. Eventually the hoover bag becomes over crowded, often with hundreds of spiders who have now grown 10 times their original size, forcing them to return to the rooms of your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

It's as easy to put them out the back door or whatever. If you've no particular tool to do it, pop a small flower pot or a cup or something over it, then slide a sheet of paper slowly under it. Turn the whole lot around and the spider is now safely in the container. Fire him out the door where he will continue keeping down the number of annoying flies and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Op a spider that size doesn't have to crawl the whole way back out,he can just open the top of the hoover,jump out and batter ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

weemammy wrote: »
    Can big spiders crawl back out after you've hoovered the up?

Honestly, who hoovers Ulster protestants these days?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

mariaf24 wrote: »
    They eat all the dust and other materials in the hoover (bag) and continue to grow and thrive for many weeks and months while all the time plotting their revenge.
    They mate with other spiders they meet in the hoover and produce many many baby spiders. Eventually the hoover bag becomes over crowded, often with hundreds of spiders who have now grown 10 times their original size, forcing them to return to the rooms of your house.

*loads shotgun*

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭weemammy

whiteboy wrote: »
    I'd sooner find away to put it outside, it's cruel to do what you're doing!

I know what u mean, I feel guilty doing it, but you probably don't understand what it's like to be really really terrified of them!
    If my OH is home, he'll deal with it, he just picks the up and puts the outside, but there's no way I'd touch those things.
    Last night, thankfully the hoover was nearby, and the spider was high up, near the ceiling.
    If they're on the floor I'd just give them a smack.
    They are just huge! suddenly u see this dark shadow running across the floor :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

1/ Hoover up spider, allow it to lay eggs in hoover bag

2/ Wait for eggs to hatch

3/ Set hoover to blow instead of suck

4/ ???

5/ Profit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Apparenty they enjoy the soothing noise and heat of the hoover also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Plumbers

It's bad luck to kill a spider!!!

Invite my mum round, she'll collect em in matchboxes and bring em to Bingo with her. Wins every time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

It's as easy to put them out the back door or whatever. If you've no particular tool to do it, pop a small flower pot or a cup or something over it, then slide a sheet of paper slowly under it. Turn the whole lot around and the spider is now safely in the container. Fire him out the door where he will continue keeping down the number of annoying flies and such.

All trespassers are dealt with ... severely.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

My cousin has a friend whose girlfriend hoovered up a spider.
    2 months later she was bitten while sleeping by a spider and it had laid eggs in her face. The spider babies then ate her face.
    True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭weemammy

mikom wrote: »
    Honestly, who hoovers Ulster protestants these days?
    HUH??

I'm not an Ulster protestant if that's what u think:mad:
    Not that it has anything to do with this topic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I was cleaning out a mate's vacuum cleaner, it was blocked up so bad that there was crap backed up in the hose. Anyway, as I'm pulling stuff out of the hose, out pops a live mouse. And the guy moved into his flat three months previously! I never knew mice could live in vacuum cleaners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

biko wrote: »
    2 months later she was bitten while sleeping by a spider and it had laid eggs in her face. The spider babies then ate her face.
    True story.
    It was a HUGE FREAKIN' RAT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I don't like spiders, they are about the only thing Im freaked out by. Don't mind mice etc, my theory is at least you can hear/see them easier than spiders so they cant creep up on you. I don't like killing them all the same...

But, after my house was invaded by those masshooovie house spiders on steriods, I decided to employ the following rule -On my turf (ie in the house) I can brownbread them without guilt, but when on their own turf let them lie. (At the start I would throw the feckers out the back door but I was convinced the same bastards were coming back in time and time again)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Watch out for eggs!! I did this once with fruit flies, a few months later I was replacing the bag (over full and burst) and the innards of the vacuum cleaner was crawling with maggots, nasty mess to clean up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭memomy

I can unfortunately confirm that they most certainly do :( Last summer I found a horrible big nasty fella crawling across my kitchen floor and as I happened to have the hover out at the time I had him sucked up and that was that.

Unfortunately for me the hover bag was very full at the time due to some DIY having been taking place around the time so two days later as I opened the hover and took off the hover bag I was met by the same spider crawling out towards me.

Needless to say i pretty much shat myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Man up.

It's only a spider.

Spiders are great.

Bendihorse wrote: »
    I don't like spiders, they are about the only thing Im freaked out by. Don't mind mice etc, my theory is at least you can hear/see them easier than spiders so they cant creep up on you. I don't like killing them all the same...

But, after my house was invaded by those masshooovie house spiders on steriods, I decided to employ the following rule -On my turf (ie in the house) I can brownbread them without guilt, but when on their own turf let them lie. (At the start I would throw the feckers out the back door but I was convinced the same bastards were coming back in time and time again)

Why are you freaked by spiders?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

weemammy Hoovering spiders is a very bad thing. The actual vacum creates perfect conditions for the spider to grow Larger if fact Huge. Dont be suprised if you see legs emerge through the side of the hoover and for it then to chase you and hoover your scaredy fraidy ass all over the house till you end up inside the hoover with the spider.

People kill spiders.

Same people will cry, bitch and moan when a dog gets arse raped.

Why the discrepancy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭memomy

Spiders are ****. they should be made wear aluminous leg warmers so that we can at least see them coming.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    True story.

When did your cousin sleep with a spider?

Pics?

Advertisement