Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

grip training

• 20-02-2014 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Adding grip training to my routine and the program calls for a 2 handed pinch lift.

I work out at a Ben dunne and the equipment is limited.
    So I am trying to think the easiest way to get it done

Add it to an oly bar seems likely the only option.but maybe unwieldy. So I am considering the tbar. Neither is great as one end of the bar is going to be on the floor taking some of the weight
    Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Double overhand barbell holds for time
    Pick up 80kg & hold for 30s
    Repeat for 3-5 sets total.
    Increase weight/time slowly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

That would be a different type of grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Fair enough,
    You can really only do age pinching with metal plates.
    The rubber covered discs in BD are no good for that kind of training so I have what I thought was the only real alternative available to you

yeah the plates are a problem i think. might have to keep looking.

already doing static holds like dead hangs as part of the training.

actually Im getting waaaay too far ahead of my self, worrying about how I will pinch hold 2+ plates with no bar or block. Its massively unlikely that I can even manage one at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Fair enough,
    You can really only do age pinching with metal plates.
    The rubber covered discs in BD are no good for that kind of training so I have what I thought was the only real alternative available to you

Without jumping on this thread, would a pair of 25kg rubber-coated bumper plates not do try and hold? Haven't really struggled with grip but would like to strengthen it

Without jumping on this thread, would a pair of 25kg rubber-coated bumper plates not do try and hold? Haven't really struggled with grip but would like to strengthen it

If they are flat and the rubber isn't helping you're grip it should be fine.

The routine I'm just starting is:
    2 handed pinch lift for time.
    Finger curls 15-20 reps.
    Barbell wrist curls 15 reps
    Reverse barbell wrist curls.
    Dead hangs for time

Covers most grip types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I do most of those for different reasons so I should be ok. The dead hangs feel beautiful after sets of squats or deadlifts.

Beautiful.

Finger curls 15-20 reps.

Really? That's a thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

I crushed my toes just watching that.

• Advertisement

gvn wrote: »
    Really? That's a thing?

yeah, just don't do then in the toe squat rack.

hold a bar like in a double overhand grip, with just your finger tips, then squeeze them up hard. same exercise as using a squeeze griper device or tennis ball, but more scalable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JamesRussel

Pinch, wrist, finger flexors, finger extensors are the 4 main aspect of grip you should train.

It doesnt matter if the plates are rubber for pinch, if you dont have iron, smooth surfaced plates then the rubber will do. Its not like the rubber means the weight is glued to your fingers, it just makes it a little easier to hold.

Wrist: wrist roller, rolling thunder, (hammer) lever work would be the main ones. Wrist curls do not represent a good reward vs risk ratio imo, even when done light. Fixing your forearm against your leg (example) and then allowing a weight to stretch a small joint like the wrist is asking for trouble. A plate curl done standing would be much better.

Flexors and extensors. Obviously everyone knows about barbell finger curls, or CoC grippers. Working the flexors arent the issue, but the extensors should definitely not be neglected. Do so at your own risk. Weak extensors vs strong flexors is what causes inflamation and tendonitis type injuries. Fat grip work is invaluable for keeping these muscles balanced. Or rubber band extensions if you prefer.

www. gripfaq.com this site has a decent list of most grip exercises

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I will pinch hold 2+ plates with no bar or block.
    I was doing 1 arm shrugs using plates. I had a large 20kg tri grip plate, I loaded this onto a dumbbell, I think I then had 2x10kg plates on that same side after it, then on the other side I had 1 or 2 5kg plates. Or have no plates on the second side at all.

This meant it was unevenly balanced if you lifted it by the usual handle, but if you lifted it by the trigip hole it was fairly balanced. The problem is that the end of the dumbbell can still get in the way.

you can see an uneven dumbbell below, it is not as balanced as I had mine
    ScottSchmidtPinchGrip.jpg
    MitchellPinch.jpg

I went to test out options at the gym today. Dumbells are fine at low weights but after 20 or so they become too thick to grip. Since they aren't adjustable just have to make do.
    The 10 kg plate is fine but on the light side. Got to try to figure out how to get from a 10kg plate to a 25kg plate with no bar. Should be fine with a mix of dumbells and smaller 5kg and 2.5 kg plates. Might look into getting a bar or something. Would be nice if Ben dunne had plate loaded dumbbells.

I was forgetting most gyms have fixed dumbbells.

Another idea is to use adjustable webbing straps, like what you get on gymnastic rings. So you pass the webbing through 2x10kg plates which are sandwiching a 20kg plate in the middle. Now loop through the upper trigrip areas/holes on them and pull the webbing tight. When you lift the 20kg the others should sag a little.

I have also made my own loading pin using webbing straps, something like this
    http://www.liftinglarge.com/Strap-Loading-Pin
    So at the top of that instead of the chain you would use a small plate and grip it and lift up.

I have wooden blocks I use for grip training. They can hang off a chinup bar like this
    pinch-block-h1_2.jpg
    Or you can loop onto plates with the webbing straps. They are really big so I cannot do a chinup but can manage rows.

I've seen the blocks elsewhere. Can make one easy enough. But I wanted to find another solution.

The Webbing straps is a good idea. Hadn't thought of that. Will be strong enough for the weights I'm using at this time.

Webbing is really strong. I got the "medium duty" straps here
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Handy-Straps_Med-Duty-tie-down-Straps_W0QQLHQ5fSellerWithStoreZ1QQLHQ5fTitleDescZ1QQ_fsubZ13455392QQ_sasiZ1QQ_sidZ123266481QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

I have had well over 100kg on a single strap and it seemed fine.

Lidl have lots of assorted carabiners and other clip things at the moment.

I am going to make a narrower pinch block, mine are too wide. I much prefer the feel of wood, chalk takes to it very well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I went to test out options at the gym today. Dumbells are fine at low weights but after 20 or so they become too thick to grip. Since they aren't adjustable just have to make do.
    The 10 kg plate is fine but on the light side. Got to try to figure out how to get from a 10kg plate to a 25kg plate with no bar. Should be fine with a mix of dumbells and smaller 5kg and 2.5 kg plates. Might look into getting a bar or something. Would be nice if Ben dunne had plate loaded dumbbells.
    Use the 10kg plate but use a dip belt to add more weight. Loop belt through and add on whatever weight you need which will hang off end of belt, leaving you to grip plate.

I was looking at vids today for home made grip blocks. It's comically easy. So ill probably have em done this weekend.

I was looking at vids today for home made grip blocks. It's comically easy. So ill probably have em done this weekend.
    Post links to any good sites you find. My blocks are very simple. You get a block of wood drill a hole about 20mm through it, get some rope and tie a knot so you now have a slack loop of rope with the block on the end.

Now you get the end of the loop and pass it through a plate or over a chin up bar. Now you feed the block back through the loop itself.

You can see the same loop technique here.

ropejg9.jpg
    trigripropehj4.jpg

Webbing straps are better as they are adjustable though.

I was wondering what width of block is the easiest to start out on. I was hoping to try "rafter pullups" so want it easy as possible. Can start out doing rows on them. I would make proper rafters as I expect it is more difficult if they are just blocks freely swinging off a bar.
    0181.jpg

• Advertisement

I am making a device from some wood now, the wooden stuff I have has an extra panel of wood along the bottom, so its wider at the bottom. When I gripped it I copped on this taper makes it a lot easier to hold/pinch. You can see below or on your own hand that when you pinch if the bit nearest the finger tips is narrower then its easier to get full contact with all fingers & thumbs, and harder for it to just slip out.

istockphoto_4447726-placing-or-pinching-hand-sign%5B1%5D.jpg

Now if you are just lifting weights off the ground you can just add less weight, but I was aiming to do rafter pullups so the taper will help, just like assist bands or something. After I progress you could gradually sand off any taper on it. Another idea would be to make a hinged pinch block and gradually lessen the taper until parallel.

This pic is of an ironmind device, it has the taper in the reverse direction to what I am talking about make holding it harder.
    1257_10_F.jpg
    http://www.ironmind-store.com/Little-Big-Horn/productinfo/1257/

This page has various devices one is tapered in the way I am talking about
    http://www.dieselcrew.com/strongergrip/
    2handleverageblock.jpgThe Wrist block is 1.5" thick and is slightly tapered for comfort and a better feeling on the wrists than a straight bar

made a "nice" gripper yesterday, covers everything i needed.

was surprisingly easy and cheap.
    I had some off cuts of wood from a packet of shelves I bought last year, bought two eye hooks from woodies (€1.99) and 2 carabiners (€4) and a length of chain €3.

she aint pretty, but I can do single hand pinch grip and two hand pinch grip and load her up with any sized plates. itll last at least until I get to a high enough weight.

Means I can now progress past 10kg barbell plates

Advertisement