Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People who dont like sport

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

The only thing they'e 'denying' themselves is the pain of watching people work for living.
    Thats all you're doing,watching people do their job, that happens to be competitive.

I don't get watching sports, participating, sure, but watching someone else win/lose.

Don't feel sorry for me, I prefer spending that time, learning, or actually taking part in something competitive.

I play also. The people I refer to do neither.

So far, about three people have understood my point fully. Well done ah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I play also. The people I refer to do neither.

So far, about three people have understood my point fully. Well done ah.

I don't play sports. I don't actually do anything competitive (other than trying to get a job,) I dislike competition.
    My point was that I can understand people playing, can't get why people watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

leggo wrote: »
    This comes up a lot and I never understand people's problem with it. It just seems like a stick to beat people who relate to something in a way people don't understand.

When people use the term 'we', it's a way of identifying a closeness they feel with the team and fans of that team. When you look at a particular 'brand', as you call it, over time the players, coaches and personnel change constantly. The only consistent thing about said brand is the fanbase. They are the thing that keeps a brand/team/organisation going, a consistent collective 'being' when even the home base can potentially move these days. So, if anything, fans have more justification to use the term 'we' than anyone else.

It's not because they think they're a member of the team on the pitch.

The same could be said for any brand though. To use an awful analogy, Apple has what can be called "fans". The guys running and working in Apple might change but its fans will remain and, therefore, by the logic above, they are the consistent element to that brand. Go look in the video game section here and you will see "fans" of Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo etc. It seems to be a growing thing but sports brands appear to me to be where it all started.

I don't want to get too far into it, it's just something that I do not understand and that I find it baffling. You will obviously think that there is a difference between supporting Manchester United and supporting Apple or Sony but for many people there is no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

op I don't understand how you could think nothing can match the intensity of sport, if you're passionate about something, then it's all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

An opinion from the "other side", courtesy of 9GAG; http://9gag.com/gag/a9d6M30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

--LOS-- wrote: »
    op I don't understand how you could think nothing can match the intensity of sport, if you're passionate about something, then it's all the same.

Exactly, but everybody thinks the thing that they're passionate about is better than the things that other people are passionate about. You can hear it all the time:

"Yeah, but it's not the same. Art (or football, or cinema, or gaming, mountain climbing, or music, or a million other things) is different."

Sure, different for you, you love art. For me, my daughter's scribblings look the same as million-dollar modern art pieces.

For me, the 3 rounds of Hagler Hearns are perhaps the most exciting moments in the history of sport, but you might watch it and be bored.

Who cares?

But the posts about football fans being neanderthals and idiots and sports players being overpaid prima donnas poncing around the place are just as ignorant (and far more plentiful) than the posts calling people weird or gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I'll play any sport you can think of (and have played most) and I'll have an awesome time.

I hate watching sport on TV. kinda retarded in my opinion, what a snore fest - just go do the sport yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I don't like sport and I'm certainly not denying myself anything as a result. You and the vast majority of people seem to enjoy it and that's great but why is it difficult to believe that there are plenty of people who simply have no interest. We're all different and variety is a great thing.
    I've never partaken in sport and I don't feel my life is any worse for it. I cook, walk, cycle, watch movies, read, listen to music, play videogames, potter around the house, meet friends for coffee/drink/food etc.

There are plenty of other activities in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Why not just use their money to build schools so that even the non-sporty kids could benefit?

Setting up your own academy stinks of poaching talent early to cream a percentage of future agent fees.

Your other point is a bit of a stretch.

God, I'd hate to live in your cynical little world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

DeanAustin wrote: »
    God, I'd hate to live in your cynical little world.

You already do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

You already do.

If your world is one where you assume that footballers or other sports stars only do good things in order to benefit themselves then I certainly don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Boxing, MMA, Olympic Judo, Moto GP...other than that, couldn't give a toss about sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pojfexcsc

When Tony Watt netted the winner vs Barcelona, I've never felt as naturally high about anything in my life compared to that moment it was otherworldly and it will go down as something I'll remember for the rest of my life.

None of my other interests could match the satisfaction that single moment gave me and I'm sure every sports fan has their moment like that so yeah in a sense I feel sorry for someone who will never have a moment like that of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

pojfexcsc wrote: »
    I feel sorry for someone who will never have a moment like that of their own.
    I've felt such highs during scenes from my favorite movies as well as songs from albums I love. This is not something exclusive to sport.

e_e wrote: »
    I've felt such highs during scenes from my favorite movies as well as songs from albums I love.

I've had highs from these too, and books and art. But these are all abstractions. Movies are fairy tales.

e_e wrote: »
    I've felt such highs during scenes from my favorite movies as well as songs from albums I love.

I've had highs from these too, and books and art. But these are all abstractions. Movies are fairy tales.

Advertisement