Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on taking Gels (or not) during marathon

• 06-09-2009 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

I would like some of you who have completed at least one marathon to offer some advice please;

I'm training for DCM 09, my first marathon. I had planned on using gels during lsr's and ultimately during the marathon itself. However, I now find myself only 2 more proper lsr's from marathon day, and have yet to buy or try any gels. On the lsr's to date, I've been drinking approx 500-750ml of energy drink. Would the marathon vets think that it's essential to use gels also if you want to perform to your best ability on race day? Do many marathoners do it without any gels?? I've regularly read here of people using gels, and that's partly why I had planned on using them too. So I'm a bit worried now about what is best to do with so little time and lsr's left. Do the gels really make a big difference?
    Any and all advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

There's no definitive answer, it's a personal thing and personally, I use them on my lsr's and in marathons. But you have to try them in training to see if they agree with you and if you feel any benefit from them. Again, personally speaking, I like the Powerade carb gels and although they are quite viscous they don't cause me any stomach problems. I brought one out today and early on figured I mighten us it. Come mile 14 I started to fade a bit and I necked the gel. Whether it was the gel or just a placebo effect, I finished the run strongly. If your sure they are not going to upset your stomach then I don't see the harm in carrying a couple. But don't try anything for the first time in the marathon, don't forget to wash them down with water and don't forget to brush your teeth after your run as they are brutal on the nashers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

related question and possibly the same answer - how many should one (novice) plan on taking during the marathon? I've a stock of Hi5 gels, and the label says to take 1 10 minutes before, and 3 per hour.
    As i'm hoping to finish around the 4 hour mark, does it make sense to take 12-14 on the day????

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭psychozeb

i use the power bar ones myself usually one around 11,15,19 and 23.don't like the idea of carrying a lot of gels around for a marathon.saying that in dublin there is high5 gel stations but you don't want to arrive at one and see it's not a flavour you don't like.the other option is have people scattered around the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

I've used them in the three marathons I did in the past but again - I wouldn't recommend trying them on the day if you haven't tried them before as they can give you an upset tummy which is the last thing you want to do to yourself when you're trying to run 26.2 miles!

If you've managed the LSR's without you should be fine on the day...

As for how many - I took one about 15 mins or so before the start & one every 10km after that... seamed to work fine for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

SucCes09 wrote: »
    I've a stock of Hi5 gels, and the label says to take 1 10 minutes before, and 3 per hour.
    As i'm hoping to finish around the 4 hour mark, does it make sense to take 12-14 on the day????

I'd say that dose might be more in the interests of the manafacturer rather than the runner. I don't know what's in Hi5 gels per sachet but I wouldn't be taking any more than 3 in a marathon. Maybe something like 11,17,22. Taking anything like 10 would be encouraging stomach problems IMO. I see them as a bit of a kick, not food on the run replenishing every calorie you burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

onimpulse wrote: »
    I've used them in the three marathons I did in the past but again - I wouldn't recommend trying them on the day if you haven't tried them before as they can give you an upset tummy which is the last thing you want to do to yourself when you're trying to run 26.2 miles!

If you've managed the LSR's without you should be fine on the day...

As for how many - I took one about 15 mins or so before the start & one every 10km after that... seamed to work fine for me?

+1

Some good advice there from omnipulse.

I ran my first without taking any gels or energy drinks. If this is how you trained, then this is how you should go on the day. (Same goes for shoes, socks, t-shirt, watch, etc...).

This year (my second), I'm trying gels. So far, no problems with them, and am finding I'm getting some benefit. Definite buzz a few minutes after taking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Fernando1

If you can't stomach the gels try jelly babies. I've used them for the last 6 marathons and find them good. They can be bought in small funsize packs; ideal for carrying. I'd carry two and have someone on the route with another one and usually start taking them anytime after half way. I'd definately recommend trying something before Oct 26th no matter what time you're aiming for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Personally I like to take one about every 5 miles, so that means mile 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25. Might be more than what others will be planning, but I'm going to be out there for a long time because I'm so slow! I can stomach almost everything that I've tried so far - EXCEPT the SIS gels. I've currently got some High5 summer fruits ones at home, that are going to get used on my next LSR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭CaoimheX

Fernando1 wrote: »
    If you can't stomach the gels try jelly babies. I've used them for the last 6 marathons and find them good. They can be bought in small funsize packs; ideal for carrying. I'd carry two and have someone on the route with another one and usually start taking them anytime after half way. I'd definately recommend trying something before Oct 26th no matter what time you're aiming for.

Thats exaclty what I do, they are also my fav sweet. The gels I just cant stomach uggh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

I've experimented with a few gels and also tried sweets and jelly babies. For me the Powerade Caffeinated Blackcurrant or Green Apple gels work brilliantly on the long runs, I'd be in ribbons without them! My longest run has been 16 miles and I used 2 gels, would probably have been better off with 3 as I really suffered from mile 14...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

SucCes09 wrote: »
    related question and possibly the same answer - how many should one (novice) plan on taking during the marathon? I've a stock of Hi5 gels, and the label says to take 1 10 minutes before, and 3 per hour.

I was never a great fan of gels until a couple of years ago. In the olden days ( late 80's ) gels were much more gooey and often caused upset stomach. However, the High5 gels are much more liquidy and easy to stomach and they give such a boost that I think they should be banned :). I used three of them in London this year at 7, 14 and 21 miles. I was flying at the finish. I think for a four hour marathon runner, 5 gels would be more than enough, taken at even intervals during the race, possibly 5, 10, 15, 19 and 23 miles.
    My advice would be to try them on one of your long training runs and if you find them to be helpful, leave it at that and don't use them again until the marathon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd say that dose might be more in the interests of the manafacturer rather than the runner. I don't know what's in Hi5 gels per sachet but I wouldn't be taking any more than 3 in a marathon. Maybe something like 11,17,22. Taking anything like 10 would be encouraging stomach problems IMO. I see them as a bit of a kick, not food on the run replenishing every calorie you burn.

For "normal" people I'd expect something between none and 3'ish to be plenty to get you round the distance without to many issues.

In the interests of science though I have established that the one every 20 minutes claim on the packets is actually about spot on for keeping the energy levels consistent for me. I'm not "normal" though and cannot process energy reserves in the same way as the rest of you due to being diabetic so my only source is the gels after about 60 minutes of running. I cannot keep going for more than 90minutes without having taken something already during the run. For the rest of you though they should only really be needed once you start to flag towards the latter stages, or in anticipation of that happening really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

robinph wrote: »
    For "normal" people I'd expect something between none and 3'ish to be plenty to get you round the distance without to many issues.

I would consider myself a "normal" person, did my first Marathon last year (3 hrs 52mins ) and used 3 Gels during the race, but had a big bowl of porridge a few hours before the start. For any training runs between 15 & 20 miles I take one gel out with me, for any runs over 20miles I bring 2 gels with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

I would consider myself a "normal" person, did my first Marathon last year (3 hrs 52mins ) and used 3 Gels during the race, but had a big bowl of porridge a few hours before the start. For any training runs between 15 & 20 miles I take one gel out with me, for any runs over 20miles I bring 2 gels with me.

It might be no harm doing your long training runs without taking gels. You have to train yourself through the tiredness and pain barriers. You will then get more benefit from the gels when doing the marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I ran Dublin last year after doing Berlin a few weeks before so I was running for fun moreso than time. When I was at the expo I decided to sign up to the hi5 study which involved 1 before the race and 1 roughly every 25 mins. I had the orange flavoured caffinated ones and I found them to be brilliant and ran a pb. However hours later I was still flying high, obviously from all the caffiene, ask SUNGOD :D
    I tried this approach again in Paris and bombed. For price reasons I've now changed to the sis and maybe because I was using them in my training I have found that I'm not getting a kick anymore, so have decided not to use them till race day in a hope that my body will appreciate them more because they've been starved of carbs during the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

first time marathoner myself and experimenting with gels at present.
    Has anyone used the lucozase sports ones and would they recommend them?

I've tried them, they're not too bad, they just taste like concentrated Lucozade Sport to me. They do have a relatively thick texture though, some people don't like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

I have done several endurance events over the years. I have tried and tested most of the products out there.

IMO Powerbar Gels are the best. For a marathon you should look to take 3 for the race and eat a half banana twice. 5 Banana, 10 gel, 13banana, 17 gel, 22 gel. Water/sports drink should be taken at each feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Bobby04

Thanks to all for posting.

I think I'll get some gels and try them. I believe there will be High5 gels given out during the DCM? I must try to find them somewhere and give them a go. I must admit I could definitely have done with some sort of a boost during the lsr yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

It might be no harm doing your long training runs without taking gels. You have to train yourself through the tiredness and pain barriers. You will then get more benefit from the gels when doing the marathon.

i was going to post almost the exact post as this........but obviously try them once in training to make sure they agree with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Woddle wrote: »
    I I had the orange flavoured caffinated ones and I found them to be brilliant and ran a pb. However hours later I was still flying high, obviously from all the caffiene, ask SUNGOD :D

you were slighty buzzing alright , a combination of copious amounts of caffeine and a PB can have that effect......reminded me of the tazmanian devil with a dub accent:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Some people seem to be suggesting taking sports drinks AND gels. Is that not double dosing on two different delivery methods of basically the same thing?

Just seems a bit odd to say that you don't need too many gels, but then washing them down with a sugary drink at the same time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Woddle wrote: »
    I had the orange flavoured caffinated ones and I found them to be brilliant and ran a pb. However hours later I was still flying high, obviously from all the caffiene, ask SUNGOD :D

I feckin' knew there was something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

I'm sure this question has been answered a million times already, but some cack handed searches on here turned up nothing. Where's the best place to buy High5 gels in Dublin? I don't want to buy a big pile of them as there aren't many long runs left before the DCM.
    I'm similar to the OP in that I fully expected to be using gels, but I haven't got around to getting any until now. I've tended to have a plum or something instead, but a gel would presumably be better.

The health food shop on Grafton St has them, they're about €1.10 each. There's about 5 of them on my desk at the moment...

Due to my relatively high usage of them I do buy in bulk from Wiggle.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭excalaber

where can you buy the hi5 energy gels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

You can buy a box of High 5 in the cyclesuperstore - box of 20 gels for around 20 quid. There are ones with caffeine and without caffeine. I've mainly ound them in cycle shops / running shops - try cyclesuperstore, cycleways, runaways, wheelworx in clondalkin.

Advertisement