Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute - Royal Canal

Options
  • 18-09-2019 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm looking to commute via the royal canal from IFSC to Clonsilla Dart Station mon- Fri 9-5, Any advice? is it safe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hey guys, I'm looking to commute via the royal canal from IFSC to Clonsilla Dart Station mon- Fri 9-5, Any advice? is it safe?

Around broombridge can be infested with scrotes, so probably the riskiest place from a personal safety point of view. The surface is good from the ifsc but from beyond Castleknock to porterstown bridge is pretty ****e. Narrow and full of slippy tree roots. Compacted sand from there to Clonsilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Around broombridge can be infested with scrotes, so probably the riskiest place from a personal safety point of view. The surface is good from the ifsc but from beyond Castleknock to porterstown bridge is pretty ****e. Narrow and full of slippy tree roots. Compacted sand from there to Clonsilla.

Wow yeah I had thought it was finished lol, my bike slipped around a bit those roots could easily send u off in the wrong direction, off down the ravine into the canal! very narrow in parts, great day for it tonight and no issues with scrotes, but to commute at speed with little care for cars and traffic was brilliant. Definitely could not do all that when it’s wet so would need to find some alternate route. Route was busy with walkers and cyclists. Those kissing gates are awful I now know what people mean. Ridiculous design. Surely there is something better. It sure a road bike would be able for any of the narrow parts but my big bens handled it fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

Broombridge would be fine at commuting hours. It's a busy section so you'd never be isolated. I've jogged between Drumcondra and Ashtown many times at all hours along that stretch and, while there are regular drinkers or teenage boys loitering, I've never had hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Took to commuting this route on the bike. Some alcos having a beer but they don't hassle anyone. Loads of people cycling the route a day it so nice to be away from traffic. Go right ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Anyone know if they plan on finishing all with tarmac and when? apart from the fairly hair raising narrow bit it really was a pleasure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think there are alternatives to the deep sinking, did it during the week on full suss mountain bike and it was fun but on anything less I think it would get old very quick. I dont think the greenway will be built along there any time soon.

Advertisement