Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another serious Quinn Industrial Holdings attack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

We find it inexplicable that not a single arrest has been made north or south despite dozens of incidents."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/18/kevin-lunney-sean-quinn-abducted-and-beaten

If it is correct that there has not been a single arrest, I don't blame him for finding this inexplicable. In fact the expression GUBU springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

They haven’t gone away you know.

Johnny - who are 'they'?

maccored wrote: »
    Johnny - who are 'they'?

You know perfectly well what he is implying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Listen, strange men in balaclavas distributing car bombs is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical pyromaniacal ceremony.

mikhail wrote: »
    Listen, strange men in balaclavas distributing car bombs is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical pyromaniacal ceremony.

What? Johnny Flash was referencing the old phrase about the IRA. I'm not sure what you're on about, tbf.

Do you approve of 'supreme executive power'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The French do sh*t like this all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What? Johnny Flash was referencing the old phrase about the IRA. I'm not sure what you're on about, tbf.

Do you approve of 'supreme executive power'?

It's a Monty Python joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Portsalon wrote: »
    I suspect that they're from the same gifted border-dwelling demographic as the lads who rob ATMs whenever they feel the need for some spending money.

So am i right in thinking, this has more of a bang of shenanigans by those who might have been given reason to be positively disposed towards the Quinns, or ill disposed towards the new owners, rather than someone aggrieved by what the Quinns have done??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

This ****e has been dragging on for years now. Abducting Lunney is just the latest and so far boldest move because absolutely nothing was done about earlier incidents.

Someone is going to end up dead down in Derrylin if it doesn't stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

So am i right in thinking, this has more of a bang of shenanigans by those who might have been given reason to be positively disposed towards the Quinns, or ill disposed towards the new owners, rather than someone aggrieved by what the Quinns have done??

You would be right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,320 ✭✭✭✭ted1

davo2001 wrote: »
    They ****ed over the entire country with dodgy business practises leading up to the recession which cost the country billions, now every insurance policy you take out has a 2% levy because of these arseholes.

They have never really been held accountable for what they did.

They then tried to hide money in Russia and other Eastern European countries. So they can maintain wealth while after f€€king the country

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

not sure i quite understand the business context here, anyone care to explain why this is happening?

Big dog looses his empire, is not best pleased when new folks take over his businesses

ah so the people doing the beating are devotees of the Quinn family (who were ousted from the business during the bankruptcy) and this is "revenge" on the people running the business now?

Your only figuring this out now?

markpb wrote: »
    The levy has to raise €65 million a year for 12 years, which totals about 750 million before inflation. The bank bailout was for 65 billion euro. Yes, there were major problems with how QL was run but it's a tiny ripple in the overall economic problems we faced. It didn't bring down the banks, it didn't bring down the economy, it didn't cause massive unemployment or emigration and it didn't leave thousands of ghost estates across the country. It was a poorly run insurance company with no real reserves but those reserves are only needed year to year, not like the bank bailout which was needed almost all at once.

You forget the bit where Quinn tried to secretly take over Anglo Irish Bank using CFDs because he wanted his own bank but it went disastrously wrong resulting in a run on Anglo......then a run on the rest of the Irish banks......then the bank guarantee (admittedly an abridged timeline). So yes, Quinn did as much as anyone else in bringing down the economy - in fact, if I had to lay the blame at one person's feet, it would be him.

This is, of course, besides his fraudulent activities with his insurance company including (but not limited to) siphoning money to his family, not operating with the required reserves and, my personal favourite, the time the insruance company quite literally locked the doors to prevent the regulator gaining access to investigate the books.

And of course the ongoing farce in the courts where his family are trying to keep their hidden loot while the taxpayer pays for their losses. And is it his son or son-in-law can't technically enter the Republic without running the risk of being arrested on an outstanding warrant?

But shur, he employed lots of fellas and only ever liked to play a hand of cards for a few quid so he's alright!

The gargantuan prick.
    He's local, that's all that matters

markpb wrote: »
    The levy has to raise €65 million a year for 12 years, which totals about 750 million before inflation. The bank bailout was for 65 billion euro. Yes, there were major problems with how QL was run but it's a tiny ripple in the overall economic problems we faced. It didn't bring down the banks, it didn't bring down the economy, it didn't cause massive unemployment or emigration and it didn't leave thousands of ghost estates across the country. It was a poorly run insurance company with no real reserves but those reserves are only needed year to year, not like the bank bailout which was needed almost all at once.

You forget the bit where Quinn tried to secretly take over Anglo Irish Bank using CFDs because he wanted his own bank but it went disastrously wrong resulting in a run on Anglo......then a run on the rest of the Irish banks......then the bank guarantee (admittedly an abridged timeline). So yes, Quinn did as much as anyone else in bringing down the economy - in fact, if I had to lay the blame at one person's feet, it would be him.

This is, of course, besides his fraudulent activities with his insurance company including (but not limited to) siphoning money to his family, not operating with the required reserves and, my personal favourite, the time the insruance company quite literally locked the doors to prevent the regulator gaining access to investigate the books.

And of course the ongoing farce in the courts where his family are trying to keep their hidden loot while the taxpayer pays for their losses. And is it his son or son-in-law can't technically enter the Republic without running the risk of being arrested on an outstanding warrant?

But shur, he employed lots of fellas and only ever liked to play a hand of cards for a few quid so he's alright!

The gargantuan prick.
    He's local, that's all that matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

HTF have CAB not siezed the kids' loot if its proceeds of crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

HTF have CAB not siezed the kids' loot if its proceeds of crime?
    Vat loot, godspodin?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The fact there has been no arrests even if there were no prosecutions is odd.

Would it not be some deluded eejit that use to work for Quinn as a small contractor or was owed money by a Quinn group who believes if the Quinns were running it they would get their money or be still working as a contractor, they don't like the new professional way the company has been run they want the old way back also possible a bit thick and bullish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

i read here before that Quinn gave more work to some who others might have reticence giving work too, and they may be seeking for current management to be replaced by somebody who might give them work again like Sean Quinn. Although I don't know why the current Quinn group wouldn't employ any person as long as they were doing their job they were paid to do for a fair amount and they were qualified and licensed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

doesnt really answer my question - but thanks for trying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Pair of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/quinn-chief-stabbed-and-tortured-after-car-rammed-38512962.html

This is really shocking stuff...

Criminals want to get money . Question is who are the criminals ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/quinn-chief-stabbed-and-tortured-after-car-rammed-38512962.html

This is really shocking stuff...

Criminals want to get money . Question is who are the criminals ?

Surely after the assault which lead to a broken nose or athe assault with boiling water there were arrests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

mariaalice wrote: »
    Surely after the assault which lead to a broken nose or athe assault with boiling water there were arrests.

apparently not.... strange ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Last time I passed there were several large signs positioned up and down the road out side the factories naming Lunney and other senior managers and blaming them for what happened Quinn.

I think they were accusing them of robbing him.

The signs change from time to time and are outside local businesses but never move as far as I can see.

I'll bet the guards and know exactly who did this. This ****e has been quietly dragging on in the background for years down there, it's just the brazenness and brutality of this particular incident has brought the national media.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭facehugger99

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Poor Sean. He must have been very lucky to have avoided similar run-ins with Provo types during his long business career. I'd say he's glad he's no longer involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I know the guy received a hiding and a broken leg but when they say 'life changing injuries' what do they mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I know the guy received a hiding and a broken leg but when they say 'life changing injuries' what do they mean?

They're also saying 'significant facial injuries', so I'd imagine it could be the loss of one or more eyes, which is definitely life changing.

Even a few teeth might be life changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

Leg broken in two places with an iron bar, probably leave him with a limp for life = life changing.
    He also had nails removed, was stabbed, blindfolded and doused with bleach. Poor fell

Advertisement