Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 acres, 30 cows, OAD, part-time dairying

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭farisfat

Farm365 wrote: »
    Similar situation here 50 acres in one block and 12 acres 1 mile away. Currently have 160 ewes and 20 sucklers. I have been working on improving soil fertility by spreading lime and compound fertilisers over last few years. SFP incl all Schemes is 15k. I work 9-5 5 days a week about 40mins away. We were previously dairy about 20 yrs ago. All facilities are there incl 6 unit Herringbone parlour, Cubicles, Slurry tank etc. I could swap existing stock for 40 dairy cows and would only need to buy a bulk tank. I would be debt free starting off. The only thing stopping me is the impact on family life. I have two young children. I’m considering OAD also with all calves sold after two weeks and buying heifers from a reputable source every year. Replacement rate should be small with OAD. There is no future in sucklers and I’m wondering if the workload would be that much more miking 40-50 cows OAD and all silage, slurry etc contracted out

Management with oad needs to be top class very little room for mistakes.
    Your only saving 8 to 12 hours a week in labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

9 to 5 but 40mins away, so work takes up from 8 until 6 5days a week, or 50 hrs/wk, that will make dairying very tough on the side also, especially with the young family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

farisfat wrote: »
    Management with oad needs to be top class very little room for mistakes.
    Your only saving 8 to 12 hours a week in labour.

But in this case, labour is the most valuable resource.

That 8-12 hours saved can be used for work during the busy times of the year or with the family for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Farm365 wrote: »
    Similar situation here 50 acres in one block and 12 acres 1 mile away. Currently have 160 ewes and 20 sucklers. I have been working on improving soil fertility by spreading lime and compound fertilisers over last few years. SFP incl all Schemes is 15k. I work 9-5 5 days a week about 40mins away. We were previously dairy about 20 yrs ago. All facilities are there incl 6 unit Herringbone parlour, Cubicles, Slurry tank etc. I could swap existing stock for 40 dairy cows and would only need to buy a bulk tank. I would be debt free starting off. The only thing stopping me is the impact on family life. I have two young children. I’m considering OAD also with all calves sold after two weeks and buying heifers from a reputable source every year. Replacement rate should be small with OAD. There is no future in sucklers and I’m wondering if the workload would be that much more miking 40-50 cows OAD and all silage, slurry etc contracted out

I am in the process of starting into part time dairying, but the crucial difference is that I am my own boss and can do the hours to suit myself. I will be in a situation where I will be working 9:30 to 2:30 at the longest any day. In my situation I am confident that I can make it work, however in yours I would be fairly sure that I could not as my wife works and I have two pre teen children who absorb all of her spare time taxiing them around.

But in this case, labour is the most valuable resource.

That 8-12 hours saved can be used for work during the busy times of the year or with the family for the rest of the year.

That time will be used up working of farm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

That time will be used up working of farm.

Would it help to work out an hourly rate for the 8-12 hours if you assume OAD reduces margin by 30%?

Simplistic numbers:

50 cows = €40k TAD and €30k OAD, so €227 less per week (based on 8 week dry period or milking them for 44 weeks)

For 8 hours, the hourly rate = €28/hour and for 12 hours, rate = €18/hour.

Just one way to look at it maybe?

I'm only estimating here so can those who understand it better insert more realistic figures.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This type of dairy is operated quite a bit in Europe. It has to be a family business not just one person. There has to be someone around, the sick calf, the vet coming, whatever. You have to leave at 8am, no matter what is happening.
    If you're OH is not working outside the home and has an interest it could be possible.
    Overreaching is in cold analysis, madness.

Would it help to work out an hourly rate for the 8-12 hours if you assume OAD reduces margin by 30%?

Simplistic numbers:

50 cows = €40k TAD and €30k OAD, so €227 less per week (based on 8 week dry period or milking them for 44 weeks)

For 8 hours, the hourly rate = €28/hour and for 12 hours, rate = €18/hour.

Just one way to look at it maybe?

I'm only estimating here so can those who understand it better insert more realistic figures.

I spend 28hrs a week milking tad if I changed to oad I'd spend 18 hrs a week.It takes around 30% longer with higher volume oad.
    Outside of milking I spend from 25hrs to 70hrs a week at other farm work that would be the same if oad or tad.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

I spend 28hrs a week milking tad if I changed to oad I'd spend 18 hrs a week.It takes around 30% longer with higher volume oad.

It's 30% longer cluster on time. You're calculating it as 30% of time spent start to finish.
    Outside of milking I spend from 25hrs to 70hrs a week at other farm work that would be the same if oad or tad.

This is where I would see the biggest positive. Not to simplify things too much, but not being tied to the yard/clock/milking in the evening allows for much more efficient use of time.

I think it's fair to say most people with a similar enterprise to that being discussed here spend a fair bit of time dragging out work knowing that they've to be around to milk anyway. The work done in the 10 hours between milkings could often be done to a comparative standard in half that time.

Even if you were to take breaks out of your day, the 45minutes after milking and the 45 minutes at lunch and the 30 mins before evening milking all of a sudden become less of a necessity. Milk in the morning eat at 11 finished at 2. Have a shower and be done if needs be. No guilt, no clock anxiety and 8 hours of quality work down. Twould be like having a real job!

For the original question, i'd wonder if there's a compromise to be found between going part-time in the job and the OAD. You'd be free then for the important parts of the day/year with kids and would presumably be able to earn a similar amount to working full-time with the added benefit of flexibility.

It's 30% longer cluster on time. You're calculating it as 30% of time spent start to finish.

This is where I would see the biggest positive. Not to simplify things too much, but not being tied to the yard/clock/milking in the evening allows for much more efficient use of time.

I think it's fair to say most people with a similar enterprise to that being discussed here spend a fair bit of time dragging out work knowing that they've to be around to milk anyway. The work done in the 10 hours between milkings could often be done to a comparative standard in half that time.

Even if you were to take breaks out of your day, the 45minutes after milking and the 45 minutes at lunch and the 30 mins before evening milking all of a sudden become less of a necessity. Milk in the morning eat at 11 finished at 2. Have a shower and be done if needs be. No guilt, no clock anxiety and 8 hours of quality work down. Twould be like having a real job!

For the original question, i'd wonder if there's a compromise to be found between going part-time in the job and the OAD. You'd be free then for the important parts of the day/year with kids and would presumably be able to earn a similar amount to working full-time with the added benefit of flexibility.

13 to 14 minute rows at peak oad 8 to 9 tad.

Every farm is different everything is done in house here apart from silage.
    Theirs probably 500 Euro in milk sales between a good oad and good tad spring calving herd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

At the €500 you're not taking into account the higher solids in OAD. The difference in litres may be 30%, but the solids claw back a good piece of that. Also other herd benefits in terms of health and longevity, your time for other things.

Water John wrote: »
    At the €500 you're not taking into account the higher solids in OAD. The difference in litres may be 30%, but the solids claw back a good piece of that. Also other herd benefits in terms of health and longevity, your time for other things.

From what I've seen a good oad herd doing 400kgs,they would be in the top 10% of the Co-op if milking tad IE 500kgs +.

Advertisement