Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Company requires smartphone for clocking in

• 12-09-2019 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi my wife works in the local school as a agency cleaner, last month the contract was taken was taken over by another agency but she was retained
    The new agency require her to have a smartphone with gps for clocking in purposes. She has a basic phone with no such capability.
    Can they force her to get a smartphone?
    Would they have to pay for the phone and data plan?
    As she's on the minimum legal rate for contract cleaners (10.80 ph) this would bring her below that level.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

She was transferred in under TUPE legislation, which basically means the same conditions as the previous employers. I cannot imagine that she would have to fork out for the phone out of her own pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

get them to pay for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Even if she had a smartphone I'm not sure I'd be agreeing to that.
    Does she have to install an app that is monitoring her location to log the details.
    I wouldn't be installing that on my phone, let them supply the phone if they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Unless they provided the phone, I wouldn't install it on my personal device. If they provided me with a phone and wanted to track it fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billgibney

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Even if she had a smartphone I'm not sure I'd be agreeing to that.
    Does she have to install an app that is monitoring her location to log the details.
    I wouldn't be installing that on my phone, let them supply the phone if they want.

Yes there's a web link to a portal. When you go to the clocking section a mini Google map zooms in on your location.

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    Unless they provided the phone, I wouldn't install it on my personal device. If they provided me with a phone and wanted to track it fine.

They want her to buy a smartphone out of her own pocket and also upgrade her phone deal from calls and texts only to one with a data plan

billgibney wrote: »
    Yes there's a web link to a portal. When you go to the clocking section a mini Google map zooms in on your location.

Such a bizarre set up. It's so easy to spoof your location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They want her to buy a smartphone out of her own pocket and also upgrade her phone deal from calls and texts only to one with a data plan
    On a practical level is there no wifi in the school? You can get data plans from €10 a month from Tesco and basic phones from about €50.
    What about contacting Workplace Relations? They seem to have a query page/form.
    https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/contact_us/workplace_relations_enquiry/

Bit silly to do if you only work in one place!

is_that_so wrote: »
    On a practical level is there no wifi in the school? You can get data plans from €10 a month from Tesco and basic phones from about €50.

True but where we live Vodafone is the only decent service available here, also she prefers a non touch phone. Strange I know!
    But the issue is they will be able to track her any time of day or night

• Advertisement

True but where we live Vodafone is the only decent service available here, also she prefers a non touch phone. Strange I know!
    But the issue is they will be able to track her any time of day or night
    I am sure you can probably just disable the app.

It's through chrome browser

It's through chrome browser
    Then disable Chrome on the phone. It will be listed as an app.

Then disable Chrome on the phone. It will be listed as an app.

And should the employer pay for the new phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If this is just done through a web site then why not ask the school if they can leave a computer on and connected to the internet so she can use that to clock in and out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

She has a basic phone with no such capability.

I totally take your word for this.
    No they won't be buying your wife a shiny new phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Enable/disable location services. Swipe down from the home screen, tap location.

And should the employer pay for the new phone?
    I linked to Workplace Relations above. Perhaps ask them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Are there not data protection issues here, as in she will be monitored by the employer who can track the phone? AFAIK, monitoring of staff is illegal unless there is a clear case of criminal goings on. Surely the fact that the work is getting done is sufficient for the employer? Do they not have roving Supervisors who can call in to spot check the work and see if the employees are on site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

D13exile wrote: »
    Are there not data protection issues here, as in she will be monitored by the employer who can track the phone? AFAIK, monitoring of staff is illegal unless there is a clear case of criminal goings on. Surely the fact that the work is getting done is sufficient for the employer? Do they not have roving Supervisors who can call in to spot check the work and see if the employees are on site?

If they pay for a phone and the bill, and she leaves it in work, there won’t ever be an issue. It’ll be an over complicated and overexpensive clock in system, but that’s the company’s issue.

• Advertisement

If it's just a website, they can't track it when that site is closed.

endacl wrote: »
    If they pay for a phone and the bill, and she leaves it in work, there won’t ever be an issue. It’ll be an over complicated and overexpensive clock in system, but that’s the company’s issue.
    Not that expensive if potential employees know what's expected of them. I know of a company who uses something like this but they also use it as a recruitment and application tool as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,703 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If they require her to have a phone, they need to provide the phone and pay the associated bills. Assuming she is protected under the Transfer of Undertakings regulations, they cannot simply introduce a term into her contract of employment requiring her to provide a smartphone for work purposes at her own expense.

I understand her concerns about privacy and location tracking. She can address these by not turning the phone on, except when she needs to for work purposes (i.e. to log in when she arrives at her workplace, and presumably again when she leaves). She already has her own phone which is satisfactory for all her personal needs and she can continue to use that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

D13exile wrote:

I would think that at least 70% of the company Van's out there are tracked by employer's. Probably a good portion of the company cars.

All those service engineers, delivery drivers, maintenance guys etc with tablets / phones that take electronic signature would have realtime tracking.

Once the worker is aware that the item is tracked, and where how the data is collected and what it is used for then there is no issue..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,703 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

knipex wrote: »
    I would think that at least 70% of the company Van's out there are tracked by employer's. Probably a good portion of the company cars.

All those service engineers, delivery drivers, maintenance guys etc with tablets / phones that take electronic signature would have realtime tracking.

Once the worker is aware that the item is tracked, and where how the data is collected and what it is used for then there is no issue..
    Tracking somebody while they're working, while knowing where they are is relevant to the job they do, is fine, so long as they understand they are or may be being tracked.

Tracking somebody 24/7, not so much.

"Why would your employer want to track you 24/7?", I hear you cry, and you have a point. They probably wouldn't. And even if they were collecting the data because they couldn't be bothered to configure their system not to, they probably don't look at it, and quite possibly don't even realise they have it. Still, I understand the concerns. "Trust us not to abuse this data. The innocent have nothing to fear." is never a very reassuring thing to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,412 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

She should just say I don’t have a smart phone. See what they come back with then. They can’t force her to get one so either they can supply one or she they can come up with an alternative. I wouldn’t be making any sort of deal out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Tracking somebody while they're working, while knowing where they are is relevant to the job they do, is fine, so long as they understand they are or may be being tracked.

"Why would your employer want to track you 24/7?", I hear you cry, and you have a point. They probably wouldn't. And even if they were collecting the data because they couldn't be bothered to configure their system not to, they probably don't look at it, and quite possibly don't even realise they have it. Still, I understand the concerns. "Trust us not to abuse this data. The innocent have nothing to fear." is never a very reassuring thing to hear.

From memory this went thought the Data Protection Commissioner a few years ago the company vehicles had to have a tracker with a manual off switch that the driver controlled and the same with any IT once off the clock the employer has no basis for collecting the data, so collection or retaining it without accessing it is a breach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Peregrinus wrote: »

Where are you getting the 24/7 tracking in the OPs example? They go to a website in a browser to clock in/out. That's all. There's no tracking other than these 2 incidents at the beginning and end of every shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

I'm fairly sure your wife could explain that she doesnt have a smart phone and could email her hours when she has finished or call in the hours.

My guess is it's just used as a Proof of Delivery of service in a way. They will have a record of when work started and finished. It would probably be used only if the end client was querying a bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

LeBash wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure your wife could explain that she doesnt have a smart phone and could email her hours when she has finished or call in the hours.

My guess is it's just used as a Proof of Delivery of service in a way. They will have a record of when work started and finished. It would probably be used only if the end client was querying a bill.

How can she email a location when she doesn't have a smart phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

I totally take your word for this.
    No they won't be buying your wife a shiny new phone.

Such a funny response, dope :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OP - the easy answer is no they can't force your wife to buy a smartphone any more than they could force her to buy anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

how?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

LeBash wrote: »

Its more likely the proof of delivery.
    I have seen this introduced by a care company where proof that the staff member turnd up is a manual clock in and out from the landline number of the service receiver. So it's independently verifiable by the State if they need to by checking the phone records

From memory this went thought the Data Protection Commissioner a few years ago the company vehicles had to have a tracker with a manual off switch that the driver controlled and the same with any IT once off the clock the employer has no basis for collecting the data, so collection or retaining it without accessing it is a breach

Only and only if the vehicle was supplied and specified allowed to be used for personal use.

A company vehicle that's only for company use does not require this facility..

• Advertisement

knipex wrote: »
    Only and only if the vehicle was supplied and specified allowed to be used for personal use.

A company vehicle that's only for company use does not require this facility..

Yep
    Technically if the employee can nip down to the shops over lunch in a vehicle it's personal use.

But in real life once the company expect the vehicle back in the premises at close of business and the employee finds their own way home, the company would not have to install a off switch.

Yep
    Technically if the employee can nip down to the shops over lunch in a vehicle it's personal use.

But in real life once the company expect the vehicle back in the premises at close of business and the employee finds their own way home, the company would not have to install a off switch.

Absolutely not true.

A van can be used to travel to and from place of work and not have a "switch" fitted.

The policy on use of vehicles needs to take into account the use of trackers and specify what the vehicle can be used for. It can even allow some Limited personal use and not require the fitting of a switch. As long as everything is known, nothing is begin done in secret then there is no problem.

Fair is fair. My employer has my address anyway so the fact that the tracker shows its at my house, so what. I don't have wear and tear and fuel on my car, can spend an extra half hour in bed in the morning and home earlier most evenings. If I need to pick up something from the hardware store or garden center or drop something to the recycling center the boss is OK about it. Then why the f**k would I make a big deal.

On the other hand if it was a company car and I worked from home, the car was used as my main means of transport, then switch needs to be fitted.

Advertisement