Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree question

Options
  • 10-09-2019 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi there, when I first moved into my house there were a group of tall skinny trees in my garden, over the years I noticed they seem to be sprouting up all over, including now on the neighbors land.
    I once dig down to see if I could remove it from the roots and found it had sprouted from another root about as far as my arm.
    There sprouting all over the place now.

What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Picture of tree ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm guessing some sort of poplar; IIRC they can sucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

Car99 wrote: »
    Picture of tree ?

How do I do a picture on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

i'm guessing some sort of poplar; IIRC they can sucker.

I’ve been looking online and can’t find the type it is. Without being able to put a picture up to show you exactly, best I can do is a description.

Have you any idea what tree can sprout trees from there own roots by any chance? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭standardg60

Midster wrote: »
    I’ve been looking online and can’t find the type it is. Without being able to put a picture up to show you exactly, best I can do is a description.

Have you any idea what tree can sprout trees from there own roots by any chance? :/

Loads of them, but I would also suspect poplar from your description..look up tt32 and see if you have something similar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Poplar, some Prunus, Alder, Willow, Hazel,....there's a long list of potential culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JoZeb

I was also thinking of willows but ash can spread too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

One tree that is famous for growing in the way the OP describes is Elm.

I know Dutch Elm Disease killed them all but plenty came back from the roots to produce tall skinny trees which continue to send up suckers all over.

Others know for suckering are Acacia (used on reclamation sites for that very reason) Aspen, many Cherries and that shrubby tree stags horn sumach. There are also a few much rarer trees that are known for producing new plants from the roots Acer cappadocicum and Maytenus boaria.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

my3cents wrote: »
    Others know for suckering are Acacia (used on reclamation sites for that very reason) Aspen, many Cherries and that shrubby tree stags horn sumach. There are also a few much rarer trees that are known for producing new plants from the roots Acer cappadocicum and Maytenus boaria.

Agreed - Robinia Pseudoacacia is positively invasive. As are lots of types of bamboo.

Advertisement