Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you go to ploughing 2019?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Base price

As an aside since I haven't been to the Ploughing Championships for the last few years I wonder if the Bord Bia stand will still promote FR/FR cross beef as the preferred option.
    I reckon they will unless you live under a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

think ill go , last time was 2015 in laois

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭older by the day

Base price wrote: »
    Reggie. wrote: »
    Wonder will the meat industry be there
    Well I hope the Beef Plan/Independent Farmers or whatever you call them aren't there/protesting.
    Why would it disturb you? I'm sure the other organizations, Healy and his pals, will be doing enough brown nosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hi. Just wondering if you would get better deal on buying machinery at ploughing rather than going to a local distributor? Thinking of buying a TR-4 bale handler.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'd normally go, but the enthusiasm isn't there this year.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I read enthusiasm as euthanasism at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maconof

Swore I wouldn't go again after last year and travelling 3 hours only to find out it was cancelled right as we got to the car park gate.

So obviously I'm going again this year after 12 months of reflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I went to the one in Tullamore a month ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

mayota wrote: »
    Would they be transferring the license to the beer tent?

The word is the man that owns the site bought a licence and has all the beer on site sown up and for the next three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I'll be there for the 3 days as I'm working at it, have never been before, even as a spectator :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Raging I can't go, can't get it off work. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

ya lazy devil get up and come look at the good Carlow land!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

maconof wrote: »
    Swore I wouldn't go again after last year and travelling 3 hours only to find out it was cancelled right as we got to the car park gate.

So obviously I'm going again this year after 12 months of reflection.

Same here Which day is the auld bat giving reduced entry to make up for last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I think I'll skip it. Ploughing match is just the same aul craic year in year out. Sure I know what will be there - shiney new tractors, machinery, stalls and tents selling and promoting all sorts of shíte. Teenagers acting the gobshíte. Miles of a walk from a car park field that it takes hours to get in and out of. And if it rains, an absolute sea of muck.
    Ploughing and demonstrations of machines that you know they work already and will never want to buy anyhow.

That's all there is to it. yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

grassroot1 wrote: »
    ya lazy devil get up and come look at the good Carlow land!!!

Just went up yesterday and passed through Fenagh to get the lie of the land.

Things I noticed:
    Fenagh is now a small town with housing estates.
    Farmers in the area had massive two storey houses hundreds of years ago and that trend is still continuing.
    Cutting granite into blocks seems to have been a favourite past time.
    There's lots of straw left on the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Can someone tell me rouhgly how far is Fenagh from Kilkenny? I know with traffic etc I will expect delays just wondering rough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

The word is the man that owns the site bought a licence and has all the beer on site sown up and for the next three years.

One of the land owners bought a local pub about 2 years ago and has a beer tent at the event

revoke12 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me rouhgly how far is Fenagh from Kilkenny? I know with traffic etc I will expect delays just wondering rough?

It's not really in Fenagh but I think the Kilkenny and Waterford traffic will be directed through it.
    It's really just a few miles north of Ballon beside the main road.

Google maps will be your friend on this to work out where you're currently located and how long and far it is to Fenagh.
    The site is about 2 or 3 miles further on from Fenagh. It's a narrow bumpy road so there will be delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

It's not really in Fenagh but I think the Kilkenny and Waterford traffic will be directed through it.
    It's really just a few miles north of Ballon beside the main road.

Google maps will be your friend on this to work out where you're currently located and how long and far it is to Fenagh.
    The site is about 2 or 3 miles further on from Fenagh. It's a narrow bumpy road so there will be delays.

There will be traffic plans in place for miles before you get to the site. There's no point planning your route on a map. You'll just have to go the way you're sent, which may not be the direct route. There is a map and a guide to the traffic plans on the NPA website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Cran

revoke12 wrote: »

30 minutes approx. from city. as a journey I ve done for 15 years. Think Kilkenny is probably one of the more direct routes as bringing the traffic in through the village and down to the site. best to aim for Borris and travel from there as yellow carparks are closer to the site than any of the others.

• Advertisement

hopeso wrote: »
    There will be traffic plans in place for miles before you get to the site. There's no point planning your route on a map. You'll just have to go the way you're sent, which may not be the direct route. There is a map and a guide to the traffic plans on the NPA website.

Yea the Waterford and south Kilkenny crowd are being directed through Gowran, Goresbridge, Borris, and onto Fenagh and ploughing site.

You can still use Google maps to work out the length and time without traffic on that route.
    Just go Fenagh to borris on Google maps and borris to kilkenny.
    Tis simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

FYI the Gardai have a web app this year which is very good see https://garda.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=c11c4045bb814be696c38318d962a448

The weather is looking nice and dry and might even get warm for Wednesday and Thursday, if anyone has any questions around local diversion etc let me know and I'll try.

Also for any ICA members I'm giving a presentation on my hobby Carlow Weather in their tent on Tuesday at 3pm.

See you all in the sunny southeast next week :p

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

I’d say the atmosphere at the ploughing this year will be fairly somber, between brexit, the beef trade and the latest milk price cuts, I wonder will the traders notice a reluctance in farmers willing to part with money this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I’m going up for a day. I’ll have a good look at parlors cubicles and water drinkers. All I’m missing is the money :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

What day is creed coming as o wont go that day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

why do the ploughing crowd never donate a bit of the gate to charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Are things going to get nasty up at the ploughing
    Over on Facebook there are guy talking about a hurricane hitting the board bia, aldi , lidl tents

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Are things going to get nasty up at the ploughing
    Over on Facebook there are guy talking about a hurricane hitting the board bia, aldi , lidl tents

Was that not last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

Dickie10 wrote: »
    why do the ploughing crowd never donate a bit of the gate to charity?

They’re too hungry for money for themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Wasn’t going to go as new role at work means I’m up the walls with things to do. But boss asked me to go as a few of the lads aren't Great at following instructions and I’d be slightly better at dealing with them.

Didn’t really have the cash to go this year as we had to replace a car and trying to do a few jobs on the house.

Advertisement