Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hijacked thread

Options
  • 08-09-2019 5:02pm

Not even bothering

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

strange use of the term 'nature reserve', to be fair.

strange use of the term 'nature reserve', to be fair.

Curious as to how so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Curious as to how so?
    Will all shooting be prohibited in the vicinity?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Whoops, the pics didn't work. I had assumed the mention of pens was for birds to be bred to be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The same rathcormac lads are loaded anyway. Falconers aswell. Met one or two of them.

• Advertisement

Will all shooting be prohibited in the vicinity?

Yes, this is not a raise to shoot reserve. I'll edit the post to highlight the irony that a gun club is more interested in sustainability than many government bodies.

Wholly a conservation effort

My reaction was based partly on the gun club my father in law is a member of, was spreading idiotic anti-buzzard propaganda. If this gun club is building a nature reserve completely for the purpose of nature - unconnected to shooting - more power to them.

Whoops, the pics didn't work. I had assumed the mention of pens was for birds to be bred to be shot.

Bird pens is for the reintroduction and conservation of Red Listed native Grey Partridge, no shooting

Next time I'm up I will get some images of the Bee/Butterfly flowering garden and the partridges. Stunning picnic area to be honest, will bring the kids up for one next week and use it as excuse to get the family walking up Corin hill trail

My reaction was based partly on the gun club my father in law is a member of, was spreading idiotic anti-buzzard propaganda. If this gun club is building a nature reserve completely for the purpose of nature - unconnected to shooting - more power to them.

They’re more likely not for shooting but to be hunted with birds of prey. Goshawks most likely.

• Advertisement

They’re more likely not for shooting but to be hunted with birds of prey. Goshawks most likely.

What are you talking about???

It is a conservation reserve, no hunting. Jesus, talk about idle speculation.
    They do not even have a falconry component (are you thinking of a different club?)

What are you talking about???

It is a conservation reserve, no hunting. Jesus, talk about idle speculation.
    They do not even have a falconry component (are you thinking of a different club?)

Because I’ve met two of them from it.

https://youtu.be/HA64msYDgTQ
    You may want to rethink that one before getting cocky.

I'm getting confused here. The two sites are for the one club?

I'm not fully convinced by a club having a small reserve breeding birds that will ultimately leave that area to be, possibly, shot by members of the same club - like the partridge shown shot in their gallery of pictures. It just doesn't sit well based on the sites linked to.
    Hopefully it works out but my experience of gun clubs suggests this could be a breeding area for duck and others that the club will then shoot.

There are two clubs locally. dodderangler is mixing them up.

http://rathcormacgameandwildlifeclub.ie have set up the reserve and it is only as a conservation reserve and local amenity.

But you’re the one who said it was the gun club who started it when in fact it was the game and wildlife club that did.
    Check the title of your thread. It says gun club.

http://rathcormacgameandwildlifeclub.ie have set up the reserve and it is only as a conservation reserve and local amenity.

Jeez! They read the same on the sites. Both founded in 1971 and had the same name - Rathcormac Gun Club - until 2007? Odd.

Sure, one will breed the duck and partridge and the other will hunt them.

It just seems a bit bizarre.

But you’re the one who said it was the gun club who started it when in fact it was the game and wildlife club that did.
    Check the title of your thread. It says gun club.

Oh sweet Jesus.
    They are both gun clubs. Would you just accept that you jumped to conclusions and we can all move on.

I mean you could have just asked rather than just throwing out ill informed comments.

Jeez! They read the same on the sites. Both founded in 1971 and had the same name - Rathcormac Gun Club - until 2007? Odd.

Sure, one will breed the duck and partridge and the other will hunt them.

It just seems a bit bizarre.

A split, both have shared history.

What is it with Boards, at times, where posters view everything with skepticism no matter the explanations and evidence?
    I mean have you even looked at the images?

A split, both have shared history.

What is it with Boards, at times, where posters view everything with skepticism no matter the explanations and evidence?

Fine but in fairness the two sites read the same and there is no mention of a split, only a name change. You can see how it looks. And I still question the wisdom of breeding programmes in a small area surrounded by what seems to be a very active gun club that also releases partridge for hunting.

The best of luck to them and I hope it goes well. it looks good and worth a visit if in the area.

• Advertisement

Wait. You said both are the same one minute but now you’re saying there’s two clubs?
    You need to restart this thread to point of it making sense mate.
    It’s all over the shop.
    And if they two clubs are the same then the birds are going to be shot at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

Who cares as long as someone is making an effort and a huge effort at that. We're just beginning a project just like this and it takes a lot of work time and dedication. Good on them. Not just partridge but all sorts of wildlife benefit from this type of project. People need to stop talking about it and start doing. In any small way.

Benny mcc wrote: »
    Who cares as long as someone is making an effort and a huge effort at that. We're just beginning a project just like this and it takes a lot of work time and dedication. Good on them. Not just partridge but all sorts of wildlife benefit from this type of project. People need to stop talking about it and start doing. In any small way.

We have two long running projects like it here. One has become a really popular local attraction with several hundred visitors a week, but the problem was that the OP said it was a gun club, which did not make sense from experience with gun clubs. Then the links seemed to be for the same organisation under two names. And it still remains that they may unwittingly be providing breeding birds for the neighbouring gun club.

Thankfully small scale projects like these are happening all around the country. Due in many cases to Tidy Towns groups. What we need is a corridor to link all these oasis and make them truly viable.

Wait. You said both are the same one minute but now you’re saying there’s two clubs?
    You need to restart this thread to point of it making sense mate.
    It’s all over the shop.
    And if they two clubs are the same then the birds are going to be shot at a later stage.

You started confusing this with your asinine talk of falconry and hawking, when absolutely no-one mentioned it.

They you post a random youtube thread to a separate club in the same area with a different name to the links I provided. I then gave you the link to the club in your video as opposed to the club building a 6 ACRE habitat.

We have two long running projects like it here. One has become a really popular local attraction with several hundred visitors a week, but the problem was that the OP said it was a gun club, which did not make sense from experience with gun clubs. Then the links seemed to be for the same organisation under two names. And it still remains that they may unwittingly be providing breeding birds for the neighbouring gun club.

Thankfully small scale projects like these are happening all around the country. Due in many cases to Tidy Towns groups. What we need is a corridor to link all these oasis and make them truly viable.

Maybe if dodderangler bothered asking actual questions rather than posting random comments and COMPLETELY unrelated youtube videos? Like magicbastarder did at the start

He's managed, through his assumption that he had all the local knowledge, derail a thread about a bunch of guys spending the past 6 years getting this off the ground.

A. It is a gun club
    B. There are 2 clubs with a shared history
    C. They don't shoot anywhere near (It's on the side of a Coillte amenity site FFS)

This only got confused by a certain poster assertion that he knew the lads building the site when he knew fvck all.

I give up, what is the point of posting anything when people take their own prejudices and make sh1t up

All I know is that I am going to bring the family up to the picnic area by the viewing platform next weekend (Weather permitting)

A. It is a gun club
    B. There are 2 clubs with a shared history
    C. They don't shoot anywhere near (It's on the side of a Coillte amenity site ---)

This only got confused by a certain poster assertion that he knew the lads building the site when he knew --- all.

I give up, what is the point of posting anything when people take their own prejudices and make --- up

All I know is that I am going to bring the family up to the picnic area by the viewing platform next weekend (Weather permitting)

Thanks, that is a bit clearer. And makes more sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement