Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this workable?

Options
  • 03-09-2019 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭

Like many on here, I am quite fond of my wristwatch/es.
    I also have a bit of a hard on for tech, and smart watches in particular.

That said after living with a smart watch for a while I find that my main uses for it are really just the activity tracking functions and occasional NFC payment use.

With that in mind I had a look around and the Sony Wena seems to be the only way to retrofit this tech to an existing watch.

I've been thinking on this and playing around with a spare MiBand 2 I have lying around and an idea struck me.

Would it be feasible to modify or manufacture a strap for a watch that would place the module of a smart bracelet on the back of the wrist, whilst having the watch body in the traditional spot?

So you have the benefit of both devices on a single bracelet without the crazy cost of a Wena?
    I might try prototyping a module holder that will fit onto a modified nylon strap if I can get my head around my 3d printer and modelling software.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Certainly feasible. The idea I would have in my head would be to take an existing smart band, as thin as possible, remove it's strap, and like you said some sort of 3d printed holder, to hold it on to the back of the traditional strap/bracelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Certainly feasible. The idea I would have in my head would be to take an existing smart band, as thin as possible, remove it's strap, and like you said some sort of 3d printed holder, to hold it on to the back of the traditional strap/bracelet.

I think the bracelet would need to be either an expanded or a 3 piece.

I see it as maybe watch> short strap > 1st fix on smart module> short strap with tang holes.
    Other side would be watch > short strap with tang and buckle.

That or figure out how to dissemble and then insert a module holder on the bracelet and reassemble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

banie01 wrote: »
    With that in mind I had a look around and the Sony Wena seems to be the only way to retrofit this tech to an existing watch.

In case the DIY option doesn't work out, there are other, cheaper options to the Sony (Alpina & Frederique Constant). They're leather straps, not bracelets tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Eoin wrote: »
    In case the DIY option doesn't work out, there are other, cheaper options to the Sony (Alpina & Frederique Constant). They're leather straps, not bracelets tho.

I'd prefer leather over a bracelet anyday ;)
    The e-strap is actually a potentially bloody great implementation of what I really think most real-life watch wearers would want, in that it offers activity tracking and sync.

Tho I am developing something of an obsession with Nato's lately.
    I have a mi band and a couple of donor NATO's that I'm hopeful of cobbling something together with just as a little project to see what I can pull off.

Advertisement