Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make A Door v Buy A Door?

Options
  • 12-08-2019 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've been looking through the threads in this area, and you're all so much more advanced than me discussing hardwood types, etc.

My question is this: whether to buy a door or get one made?

I've read all about getting doors made and the wood can warp, and the builder said he wouldn't be able to stand over it if he installed it... etc.

But I don't like the pvc doors, the designs are all not to my taste. I find most of them look to me like doors between the dining room and kitchen in a restuarant... or like on a ship.

What are your thoughts, oh wise wood people? :)

The house it's going to sit on is a 1920's build, corner, I'd like a nice looking period front door.

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I'd have no hesitation in getting a door made - it's bread and butter to a joiner who knows what they're doing.

Another option to consider are the architectural reclamation companies, you might be able to get a reclaimed or restored door that suits your 1920s needs.

Either way it'll take a decent budget but the results should be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mossy_Da_Dog

Thanks. I looked at architectural salvage and prices were double regular rates! Esp up north.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Whats your budget.

Period style door should be a run of the mill design, unless you are venturing

into something exquisite, with a lot of quirks in the design that strays from the norm.

If the door is thicker than normal, then ask the joinery how they will accommodate this.

If the stile thickness is from the one piece, then warping and cupping of the stiles is a possibility.

If they laminate the stiles from 2 lesser thicknesses, then the stiles should be more stable, hopefully.

So whats the budget for your door and frame and fitting and door furniture.

My budget for the door and door furniture (ie lock) is around €1200 - €1500
    I'm not sure what installing should cost.

The design I have in mind is just panels at the bottom, a ledge and glass up top.
    I'm not specifying anything unusual re. thickness, etc.

You kind of lost me on stile thickness from one piece - are you saying I should not go with one piece, but with panels? Also lamination? I thought I'd get it painted...

Just to clarify for you. Standard door thickness now finishes at about 1 3/4 "
    or less.These stiles would be machined from 1 plank of 2+" thick,

Period style doors from 100 years ago would predominately have been finished a lot
    more than 1 3/4" thick, lets say 2 1/4" thick.

DEPENDING on the type of hardwood chosen, current best practice would be to join 2 thinner laminations
    to make up this thickness, in order to make a more stable door to resist any tendency to warp or twist.

Is it going into an existing frame, or is a new one required

• Advertisement

A new frame is needed.

I think I'd like to go for a period style look but current regular thickness.
    If it's good enough thickness for modern insulated houses, then I don't see the need to go for extra thickness... unless I'm being thick and missing something here?

Re. the type of wood - I am open to best suggestions of what other people most commonly use. I don't have a view on any particular one, I just want a long lasting, hard wearing one. It's going to be painted.

Is it a standard door and frame, or are there fanlights or sidelights arches required.

All these are going to affect your budget. Its been many many years since I fitted

standard back door and frame from teak, 2 panel and top pane for 1200 euros.

Hardwood has gone up dramitacally in the last 10-15 years. So do your research on pricing.

Advertisement