Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan fast action yeast?

Options
  • 26-07-2019 9:55am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for any reccomendations on what brands of fast action yeast are vegan? Preferably ones I could get in the supermarkets. I've been Googling it and I keep getting nuritional yeast which I don't think does the same job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Why would any yeast not be vegan? And yes, nutritional yeast is a different thing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Why would any yeast not be vegan? And yes, nutritional yeast is a different thing.

Apparently some have a coating that's made from animal product, to stop it clumping, I think? I have this Allinson brand stuff and I used an app to check it and it says it's got sorbitan monosterate in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Apparently some have a coating that's made from animal product, to stop it clumping, I think? I have this Allinson brand stuff and I used an app to check it and it says it's got sorbitan monosterate in it.

Pesky additives! Sorry, I’m rubbish with E numbers and of no help. For new-to-me products I often just directly contact the brand, most of them respond relatively quickly (in case no one else here has a recommendation).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Looked up the Tesco one, says suitable for vegans.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=259921596

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I got some in Asda. Same brand as the stuff I had but specifies it's vegan on it. The only difference seems to be you can only use it for hand baking, won't work in bread machines, so whatever the ingredient is it's something to do with that, I guess.

• Advertisement
Advertisement