Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ad Astra (Brad Pitt SF)

Options
  • 24-05-2019 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭

I just heard about this today: Pitt stars as an astronaut who "travels to the outer edges of the solar system to find his missing father and unravel a mystery that threatens the survival of our planet". Also starring Tommy Lee Jones, Ruth Negga (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) and Donald Sutherland. Release was already delayed from January to today, but it's been delayed again until September in the USA, reportedly due to the visual effects taking longer. I'm just surprised it hasn't been mentioned here yet (I searched) or that there's no trailer yet.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm looking forward to seeing what James Gray does with a sci-fi canvas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

on youtube

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I can't get my head around the plot. It's like a mix of genres. The moonbuggy battle threw me. Love SF so still hoping for good stuff.

If I have a reservation it's that I prefer 12 Monkeys Brad Pitt, to Meet Joe Black Brad Pitt.

He's better when he get a range, and not with a Ryan-Gosling-First-Man type staring into space performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Stopped the trailer half way through. I’m in.

Getting Interstellar and Contact vibes from it. That’s good enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

Another excuse for Pott to get high.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe it's how the trailer is cut but I don't really know what this film is meant to be or trying to say. Looks enticing but hard to get a handle on it all the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I was sold on it already just based on the people involved, but it's not a great trailer. Too much plot and makes it looks far more conventional and Interstellar-ish than I suspect it actually is. It's a mid-budget sci-fi movie with a big star and an auteur director. Studios forgot how to market movies like this years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

looks like mix of interstellar and gravity... with something about psychology in there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I like the look of that!

Space Elevator and Moonbase! Sold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It took me a minute to figure out what was going on in that scene where Brad falls to Earth. To me it looks like he's on a space elevator construction rig of some sort, and that's all we see - not the elevator itself, which atthat point could consist of single filaments, invisible to the naked eye. Such a space elevator would be built from the top down, all the way from geosynchronous orbit, 35,786 km above Earth.

In the scene from the trailer, then, they have built down all the way to the stratosphere: we see an airliner flying past below them, in case there was any doubt about that. So at that point Brad is not in orbit, and it's possible for him to fall off. Which explains why he is (a) wearing a parachute at the time, and (b) not dead afterwards. :P

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

This trailer did not look impressive on the IMAX screen this evening before Spider-Man.

Strange, I thought it would have. Space movies usually look well on big screens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A new trailer has surfaced, a bit more structured than the last one, with a greater sense of the story & setting.

Much better than the first trailer, but they still don't seem too sure how to market this. Unfortunately not a new problem for Gray.

Each trailer and I'm like... MOON BASE!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,560 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This looks very promising

Another new trailer has popped up, more focused on Brad Pitt's character and his headspace within the story (as well as the overall plot itself). The trailer's very heavily leaning on the epic scope & action of everything, but I wonder how true that is to the final film.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It's hard to do epic in space now without being compared to Interstellar, but it's harder when it seems you've borrowed the score. Shades of Close Encounters, too.

Hopefully it'll be its own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

it will be 80% him sitting in a psychologist's chair, 10% Tommy Lee Jones speechifying and we've seen the rest in the trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Wow, not since Interstellar have I looked forward so much to a sci fi film...

• Advertisement

Much better trailer than the previous ones.

I'd imagine the filmmakers want people comparing it to Interstellar. They hired the same DP after all. And the composer (Max Richter) temp tracked Interstellar as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Wow, visiting Moon, Mars, Saturn and what looks like Neptune !!!
    Hope they don't try and pack too much in ....

Every single trailer and I'm resold! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

With this and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, 2020 could be Pitt's year for an acting Oscar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

It was shown at the Venice film festival and seems to be getting rave reviews too.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

I think this will be great but also a financial flop. Just like 2049.

For anyone curious, a clip has been released showing more of the action on the moon, seen in previous trailers.

Suddenly I'm not sure what kind of tone this film is going for, given it involves ...
    Moon Pirates!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,674 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Am looking forward to this and the best part. I have not seen any of the trailers nor do I intend to before watching the film.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I was quite interested in this. Some of the trailers are better than others. Good cast. Liked the look of the trailers to varying degrees... but then..... a moon-chase? I don't know why but that just looked.... looked wrong and silly.

Advertisement