Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WOW air discussion thread

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Elaine762

theguzman wrote: »
    I had an ex-GF who qualified as a Nurse and then went onto do Cabin Crew in her early twenties for a few years and then went back to Nursing afterwards. Being a RN is a huge bonus when it comes to getting accepted for Cabin Crew service. I'm soon alot of young Icelandic women would love to work for Wow instead of being stuck in dreary cold and damp Iceland. Cabin Crew is a chance to travel the world, have fun and build some work experience, usually by young and attractive women, except in the US where it is seen as a real career.

In Aer Lingus mainline you meet many crew who have been working there over 20,30 even 40 years . I’d say it depends on the airline really

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Elaine762 wrote: »
    In Aer Lingus mainline you meet many crew who have been working there over 20,30 even 40 years . I’d say it depends on the airline really

BA, Lufty, Air France, KLM all similar. Lots of young crew but a solid core of older experienced people who have made it a career.
    Although BA have a split in their crew between older 'legacy' fleet and recent hire ins (on lower wages) as part of their 'mixed fleet'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Looks like WOW Air is re-commencing flights from October under new owners with a Washington Dulles to Keflavik International route: https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/9/20857460/wow-air-comeback-october-iceland-us-airport-dulles-bankruptcy

Seems crazy to be bringing it back so soon, surely consumers would have little trust in the brand now and they haven't even started selling flights yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Looks like WOW Air is re-commencing flights from October under new owners with a Washington Dulles to Keflavik International route: https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/9/20857460/wow-air-comeback-october-iceland-us-airport-dulles-bankruptcy

Seems crazy to be bringing it back so soon, surely consumers would have little trust in the brand now and they haven't even started selling flights yet.

Two words: Travel Insurance.

However considering Norwegian is about to collapse any day now they might capture some of that traffic.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

If Norwegian did collapse, who would get the money Boeing owe them? Let's say there's no agreement on a payout and they go under. It would be a considerable sum I'd imagine for someone to pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭cson

grimm2005 wrote: »

Consumers by and large don't give a **** so long as the price is right.

Key case in point is folks saying "they'll never fly Ryanair again after xyz happened". They inevitably do. It's not an apples to apples comparison with WOW but overall for long haul transatlantic Y pax, price is the overriding concern.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Just to add there's speculation about a recession forthcoming due to previous trends.
    People would either travel less or travel more budget friendly if a recession came.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

cson wrote: »
    Consumers by and large don't give a **** so long as the price is right.

Key case in point is folks saying "they'll never fly Ryanair again after xyz happened". They inevitably do. It's not an apples to apples comparison with WOW but overall for long haul transatlantic Y pax, price is the overriding concern.

True but I would have thought threat of the company collapsing would make people think twice, certainly I would be a bit weary of booking with Norwegian at the moment myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Limpy wrote: »
    If Norwegian did collapse, who would get the money Boeing owe them? Let's say there's no agreement on a payout and they go under. It would be a considerable sum I'd imagine for someone to pocket.

If they do end up going to the wall, then there will be a long bankruptcy/administration process with the end goal of recovering as much value as possible for their creditors.
    The bankruptcy/administration process wouldn't be allowed to close without obtaining any material balances owed to Norwegian - or the right to those balances being transferred on for the benefit of the creditors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

With Michele Ballarin purchasing the assets of WOW and relaunching does anyone know if this includes the rights to the undelivered A330neos at Tolouse or are they under the control of Avolon (but with no home to go to?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

GM228 wrote: »
    With Michele Ballarin purchasing the assets of WOW and relaunching does anyone know if this includes the rights to the undelivered A330neos at Tolouse or are they under the control of Avolon (but with no home to go to?).

I think 2 of those have gone to Air Asia and the other 2 are off to Indonesia.

Advertisement